Mother of missing British girl suspect (AP)

Feed

- The mother of a British girl who disappeared four months ago in southern Portugal is to be named a formal suspect in the case Friday, a family spokesman said, a shocking twist to a case that has gripped much of Europe. More... VIANA DO CASTELO, Portugal - The mother of a British girl who disappeared four months ago in southern Portugal is to be named a formal suspect in the case Friday, a family spokesman said, a shocking twist to a case that has gripped much of Europe. Kate McCann was questioned for almost 11 hours on Thursday, and is due back at a police station in Portimao, a town in Portugal's Algarve region, later Friday morning, family spokesman David Hughes told The Associated Press. When asked about reports that Kate McCann would be named a suspect in her 4-year-old daughter's disappearance, Hughes said: "They told her last night that it would happen today. That's definite." Police summoned Kate McCann after receiving new forensic evidence. Police spokesman Olegario Sousa said authorities have received some results from forensic tests of the apartment, but declined to elaborate on the findings. The tests — on specks of blood, items of clothing and other objects in the apartment — were conducted at a British laboratory. Hughes, the family spokesman, said the police have 22 questions that they want to ask Kate McCann, which require her to be made a formal suspect. Under Portuguese law, the legal move grants certain protections to the suspect, but allows police more latitude in questioning. The spokesman said that her husband, Gerry, would meet with police in Portimao, separately, in the afternoon. The couple has maintained their innocence throughout. Just after Kate McCann entered the police station Thursday, another family representative read out a statement from her appealing to what she called Madeleine's abductors to "do the right thing." "It is not too late. Please let her go or call the police," she said. The McCanns have spearheaded an intense media campaign since Madeleine went missing from a holiday apartment in the Algarve region where she was sleeping with her 2-year-old twin siblings. The parents were having dinner in the hotel's pool-side restaurant with friends and said they checked on their children at regular intervals. The McCanns toured Europe with photos and stuffed animals of Madeleine, even meeting with Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican. Celebrities such as J.K. Rowling and David Beckham made public appeals that helped the family raise more than $2 million. The intense publicity has helped lead to numerous reported sightings of the girl, from as far away as northern Europe and Morocco. Kate McCann left the police station around 1 a.m. Friday, looking gaunt and tired. Police, who are barred by law from discussing ongoing investigations, made no comment. In recent months, the McCanns have attended meetings with the police together. Officials described those meetings as informal, saying they wanted to keep the parents informed of developments in the case.

Shocking news but I hope it is not true otherwise a sizable population would be made to look stupid.
In what way Ravi? Btw from the second week onwards I started feeling the same but did not say it in case you guys would jump on me :sad_smile: Me and my wife discussed that there was something definitely wrong with the mum for leaving such young kids all alone (for the pleasure of drinking). I won't be surprised if the dad knows more. I still hope that I am wrong as my already low opinion of humans will take a further nose dive :finger: P.S- I still maintain that Bob chacha was murdered :eyedance: Edit- Man it's very difficult to tell if that is the look of guilt or sadness for her missing daughter. _44102097_mccann_pa_203b.jpg

Sizable population will look stupid because of the search operations and the 2 million dollars raised for such operations from general public. The "Missing Madeleine" fever gripped entire Europe and even the well knows entered the foray to collect funds for fuding the search operations. So much so that I got emails from folks from UK. I think it is way too early for you to call her the culprit GKD. The law needs to take it course. Just because the cops said they were suspects they don't become murderers. I don't reckon the parents did it. They were negligent yes but I don't reckon they are the culprit. Why would they be stupid enough to publicize so much if they were the culprits? I hope the girl's still alive and the parents had no hand in the disappearing of the girl.

I am not accusing the mum in a slam dunk water tight case way. Only police can do that. My views are pure speculation based on parents body language. Obviously my feelings are meaningless and like I said I hope I am completely wrong.

Why would they be stupid enough to publicize so much if they were the culprits?
Very common behaviour that Ravi. Has happened plenty of times where the murderer/rapist/paedophile has gone out of his/her way to act very concerned and helpful. Plus IF they were stupid enough to hurt their child then they would be stupid enough to do anything. Edit- Btw Ravi the statistics for child murderer being family member are VERY high

Guest dada_rocks

I hope it's wrong susicion.. Anythign is possible in this day and age don't belive everythign that ur eye sees.. last week iN delhi socalled media pandits thekedaar of moral uppity did a sting operation showing a female school teacher running a sex racket involving her students.. As it turns out today those media minions have been found prchstratting this fake accusation just to get even wiht that lady for some personal grudge.. Sad thing is poor teacher was beaten black and blue by mob, govt. dismissed her very next day.. ( BTW quite a swift action in comparison to the rapist/murderr cabinet minister being saved by honest manmohan singhji ).. In some way I am happy about it at least it exposes media morons and brings them down in public opinion further........ http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sting_framed_Delhi_teacher_in_sex_bust/articleshow/2345466.cms

Guest dada_rocks

People in west usually don't go crazy over incidents like this unlike indian parents .. I have so often seen them being calm and collected.. Anything is possible though, who knows..

Guest dada_rocks
Involved or not...the parents are still responsible. How can you have so many children if you are not willing to look after them?They are both professionals.....I am sure they earn enough to get a baby sitter.
Half of India will be guilty as charged for that crime:giggle:

Guest dada_rocks

On serious note it's plain criminal to leave your kids alone in hotel room while u yourself go boozing. Makes me feel little less pi$$ed over my wife's back-seat driving whenever little Aarush is in the car. I guess she cares little too much and doesn't trust my driving one bit..:giggle:

How many people in India leave their sleeping kids in the room and go out ?Rarely man..... You can't blame the extremely poor ....they have to do it for survival.But people who have enough money to get a baby sitter have no business leaving kids alone...... I am shocked at the sympathy the parents have got in this case.....The poor child deserves all the sympathy ...but the parents should be charged with negligience...... I think people have been quite because they belong to the respectful "professionals" class of society.....

Guest dada_rocks
How many people in India leave their sleeping kids in the room and go out ?Rarely man..... You can't blame the extremely poor ....they have to do it for survival.But people who have enough money to get a baby sitter have no business leaving kids alone...... I am shocked at the sympathy the parents have got in this case.....The poor child deserves all the sympathy ...but the parents should be charged with negligience...... I think people have been quite because they belong to the respectful "professionals" class of society.....
I guess you have not seen half-a-dozen -children family who have no clue where their kids are most of the time.. Might do a head-count at night sometimes even that is not done.... yes people with money certainly not do that.. I don't sympathy for this sample for sure.. leaving kids alone just to booz is not on

I guess you have not seen half-a-dozen -children family who have no clue where their kids are most of the time.. Might do a head-count at night sometimes even that is not done.... yes people with money certainly not do that.. I don't sympathy for this sample for sure.. leaving kids alone just to booz is not on
If you are referring to a particular religion ,spell it out !

Guest dada_rocks

How many times I will have to do that.. yes ROPers are the biggest culprit in that regard no doubt but in rural areas even the rest are guilty....... For instance that hydrebad blast suspect has 11 siblings, the suspect left sometime 2-3 years ago and parents never heard from him and I guess they don't even care.. 11 hain sala ak kahin mar-khap bhi gaya kya farak parta hai wala attitude ho jata hai..

If found guilty then will the Pope be embarrassed that he let Kate kiss his ring (no pun intended ) :D Latest rumours are that being of medical background they might have sedated the kids so that they could go out. I really don't know what to believe but one thing I definitely know is that they are SHI.T parents (guilty or not guilty of murder).

People in west usually don't go crazy over incidents like this unlike indian parents .. I have so often seen them being calm and collected.. Anything is possible though, who knows..
Nah! not buying that. Western parents love their kids same as desi ones. Both bloody parents have been calm and stone cold. I am not sure if you heard about "Soham murders" but the parents in that case were 100 times more distraught.