Plants respond to beethoven

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks
http://hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=3d12da33-e26e-4578-822f-dfd3e3d1d714&&Headline=Plant+fatigues Paddy fields swaying to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata? Yes, that’s what researchers from the National Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology in Suwon, South Korea, discovered when they blasted classical music over rice fields. Sounds at frequencies of 125Hz and 250Hz — like that of The Moonlight Sonata — made plant genes more active than sounds at 50Hz. The research, published in last week’s New Scientist, could enable farmers to switch specific genes on and off to make crops flower at will, or grow more quickly to a so la ti! We know that plants respond to stimuli like light, wind and soil nutrients. German physicist Gustav Theodor Fechner first suggested in 1848 that plants also ‘feel’ and ‘emote’. Later, Sir Jagdish Chandra Bose identified the sensitive nervous systems of plants, which prompted them to respond to shocks — just like animal muscles. Bose also found that plants grew more quickly when exposed to pleasant music, and slowly amid harsh sounds. Curiously, besides their musical taste, plants actually communicate — chemically — with one another, too. For instance, research shows that spider mites let loose on lima bean plants, prompt the injured plants to release a chemical that changes their flavour, making them inedible to the mites. The plants then release more chemicals that drift away to other plants, triggering the same defensive mechanism before the mites even reach them. Scientists believe this is the plants’ way of screaming, “I’m being attacked!†Amazingly, some of these chemicals attract a whole new batch of mites that, rather than eating the plants, prefer to eat the mites attacking them! This kind of signalling seems to exist throughout the plant kingdom. Agricultural scientists could some day genetically engineer these floral defences into crops to reduce the need for chemical pesticides. Because plants could then lure natural predators at will to kill off pests. Maybe Prince Charles — who talks to plants — should start ‘listening’ to them!

basically that means no one in this world is vegetarian:haha:
Are bhai it's all about level of atyachar. It takes greater amount of cruelty to kill an animal that has eyes like us, red blood just like us, tits like some of us, cries in pain just like us etc etc. Plus a fruitarian diet does not result in death of any plant. It's similar to me milking my cows:hysterical: :finger:

this is utter trash dada rocks... they busted this myth on mythbusters by using a rather well organized experiment where they control was not subjected to any music and the rest were subjected to mozart, hard rock, regular singular frequency tones, pop and heavy metal. no scientifically conclusive difference... i.e. this is junk which hindustantimes reports as usual since they dont have any journalists with the balls to go report on the burma issue.

this is utter trash dada rocks... they busted this myth on mythbusters by using a rather well organized experiment where they control was not subjected to any music and the rest were subjected to mozart' date= hard rock, regular singular frequency tones, pop and heavy metal. no scientifically conclusive difference... i.e. this is junk which hindustantimes reports as usual since they dont have any journalists with the balls to go report on the burma issue.
I remember that episode.. funnily enough the plants listening to a full blast of heavy metal were the strongest :thrasher::rock:

I remember that episode.. funnily enough the plants listening to a full blast of heavy metal were the strongest :thrasher::rock:
were they? i thought they said that the results were not conclusive enough to claim that music was any better than the control, but certainly ruled out any conceivable benefits.

Guest dada_rocks

See I don't have high opinions of any kind of statistical research in matters of sceince in first place.. was just informing u guys what's going on around the world.. that's all..

See I don't have high opinions of any kind of statistical research in matters of sceince in first place.. was just informing u guys what's going on around the world.. that's all..
DR i was not attempting to emasculate you or anything, but really this is not "what's going on around the world". you are merely a victim of some exceptionally poor journalism. and yeah, if you dont have any high opinions of statistical research, i suggest you burn your science text books since every theory, every theorem, and every little thought experiment is subjected to rigid testing and statistical analysis to determine its accuracy. for instance, when a particular drug is launched, it effectiveness is gauged by conducted a double blind (i.e. observer bias and placebo bias removed) study and if the results satisfy a certain confidence level for example, asprin works to curb heart attacks with a confidence percentage of .89; then it is marketed as a success since it is able to curb the chances of suffering heart attacks in 89% of a random population sample. please dont vent your anger statistical analysis. it is after all the foundation at which all quantum mechanics stands at the moment. if you are upset that your post has been disintegrated and found out to be baseless and inaccurate, you do not need to respond with a belligerent attack at science. simply, next time check your sources before posting to save the embaressment (which again, was not anyone's objective).

Guest dada_rocks
DR i was not attempting to emasculate you or anything, but really this is not "what's going on around the world". you are merely a victim of some exceptionally poor journalism. and yeah, if you dont have any high opinions of statistical research, i suggest you burn your science text books since every theory, every theorem, and every little thought experiment is subjected to rigid testing and statistical analysis to determine its accuracy. for instance, when a particular drug is launched, it effectiveness is gauged by conducted a double blind (i.e. observer bias and placebo bias removed) study and if the results satisfy a certain confidence level for example, asprin works to curb heart attacks with a confidence percentage of .89; then it is marketed as a success since it is able to curb the chances of suffering heart attacks in 89% of a random population sample. please dont vent your anger statistical analysis. it is after all the foundation at which all quantum mechanics stands at the moment. if you are upset that your post has been disintegrated and found out to be baseless and inaccurate, you do not need to respond with a belligerent attack at science. simply, next time check your sources before posting to save the embaressment (which again, was not anyone's objective).
Thank u si..r u reminded me of the specatcle of male-goat castration back home .. ouuuuuuuuuuuch:cantstop:

OTOH, our whole idea of modern medicine and healing is based on statistical research. Nobody knows why aspirin works.