Litti-chokha now likely to be available on running trains

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks
Here you go for preparation of litti. 1 cup sattu ( made by grinding roasted dalia or black chana) 1 lemon or 4 spoons of lemon juice 3 to 4 green chillies 1 onion 3 cloves of garlic 10 pcs of whole black pepper or 1/2 spoon of ground 1/4 spoon of kalonji 4 scoops of wheat flour Steps 1. Cut and chop in very small pieces the onion, garlic, and green chillies. 2. In a bowl, mix the sattu, the onion, garlic, chillies, kalonji and lemon juice. Put salt to taste. Mix with incremental amount of water, till it becomes like a fluffy and separable mixture. Sample some to make sure it tastes good to your taste. 2. Make the dough out of wheat flour like you make it for roti or stuffed paratha. Put little oil in the dough to make it soft. Make 10 separate pieces of dough balls. Add some corn flour to it and make sure you make dough with boiling water.. This is chhapraiya twist , trust me nobody makes litti like chhapraites.. 3. Flatten on your palm one ball and shape it like a thick bowl. Fill the bowl with the sattu mixture. Close the bowl with the itself and make it round or whatever shape it finally gets into. There are two ways to cook. 1. Deep fry several suuffed lilli balls at a time on medium heat. Once they turn light brown and somewhat showing signs of cracks, take them out. 2. You can bake it in oven at 375 F for about half an hour. You may have to oil it once a while so that it does not become too dry. After they are done, you could put some oil or margarine on the balls to make them mostened. Authentic litti demands baking on goithi ( dried cow dung cake).. It is usually eaten with Alu bharta, Baigan Bharta (preferably), Youghert and Papad xxx PS: All the Biharis can look at the pic and mutter - Haath ko aaya muhn na lagaa :tounge_smile:
Sasu Amma ko bol diya hai main aaa raha hun is week-end and I feel like eating litti-chokha.. Rest assured when I turn up litti-chokha will be there on pool-side barbeque stand.. ( hour long swimming exercise and then undoing all that calorie loss with litti bhakshan).. There is nothing like a bihari sasu..:haha:

Guest dada_rocks

Inse miliye paidaishi bhukhkkhar :haha:

For all the fooding issues I had in Trivandrum(even for a food connoissuer like me too much of coconut oil was a spoiler) it was Awesome to devour food on banana leave woohoo.. 50213619_22166d5566.jpg

Anybody here a fan of the "Sagar"s? Shiv Sagar, Santosh Sagar, Sagar Snacks, etc etc etc etc :scooter:
Tons of them in Mumbai like KR said. All veggie though :angry_smile::angry_smile:. Overall good food. What I have always liked about Sagars(they are almost like an Udupi joint aint they?) is the cleanliness. Sometimes too much for my taste really!! Sometimes I would have just about finished my tea, you know about 10% remaining, and off the waiter would wisk it away!! :angry_smile: Maybe a sign ke its kalti time now. xxx

Its not just Mysire road ... any highway in Karnataka has these dabbas ... they are there every where.
wow...that's a welcome change...I drove down to Mysore from Bangalore in 2005 and there was hardly a place to grab a bite except one popular highway joint..forget the name now. This is one thing I found pretty bad in southern india...no place to eat when you do a long car trip.Delhi/Punjab is heavenly in this regard...drive out from Delhi and stop anywhere...mouth watering punjabi food is guaranteed.:two_thumbs_up:

Tons of them in Mumbai like KR said. All veggie though :angry_smile::angry_smile:. Overall good food. What I have always liked about Sagars(they are almost like an Udupi joint aint they?) is the cleanliness. Sometimes too much for my taste really!! Sometimes I would have just about finished my tea, you know about 10% remaining, and off the waiter would wisk it away!! :angry_smile: Maybe a sign ke its kalti time now. xxx
I remember them to be ISO900 certified. There is a Guru Kripa in Sion- Matunga area which happens to be very popular joint. In fact it used to be the favorite eat out for the kapoor clan.

I remember them to be ISO900 certified. There is a Guru Kripa in Sion- Matunga area which happens to be very popular joint. In fact it used to be the favorite eat out for the kapoor clan.
Guru Kripya, yes of course KR. Good clean food. There is also another chain, atleast in terms of name, Sai Kripa. Have you ever had any meal in one of those Irani dhaabas? :two_thumbs_up:

Not all of them are good though Mandrake ... and most are not exactly family friendly ... its been donkeys years since I travelled there mind you.. but the point I am trying to make is one diesnt have to go with a map in hand searching for a food joint that serves North Indian dishes in South India.
I am not sure if I have seen anyone second it really. Thus far it appears North Indian food is available in South India, specially in cosmopolitan towns, but stands no comparison to the extend South Asian delicacies have been lapped up in the North. I mean you have two Biharis telling you directly their Moms favorite dish is dosa and idli. And both of thse peeps are not hailing from a Delhi or Calcutta mind you. Now how many South Indian Moms(preferabbly from a Khammam or an Ernakulam) have their favourite dish as Navratan Korma? This is not meant to be a comparison of different regions of India, just stating facts. xx

Oh yeah ! I love their tea and bread. The one near sterling theatre in Fort is quite famous.
Quite a few of them in South Bombay, names dont matter really, all the way to Mahim. There is a restaurant around Jehangir Arts gallery called Samovar. It is a home-owned joint with great stuff. Clean ambience and lovely food. Used to be a big hit with celebrities and also of artists/painters that would go to Jehangir Arts Gallery, that whole Kala Ghoda area. If you have seen Amol Palekar's Chotti Si Baat you would know what I am talking about. Of course if you have been there you would know it too then. Good food there. Not to mention a gazillion Chinese food joints, or places like Bade Miyaan. Bombay offers great food options.:two_thumbs_up: xxx

Quite a few of them in South Bombay, names dont matter really, all the way to Mahim. There is a restaurant around Jehangir Arts gallery called Samovar. It is a home-owned joint with great stuff. Clean ambience and lovely food. Used to be a big hit with celebrities and also of artists/painters that would go to Jehangir Arts Gallery, that whole Kala Ghoda area. If you have seen Amol Palekar's Chotti Si Baat you would know what I am talking about. Of course if you have been there you would know it too then. Good food there. Not to mention a gazillion Chinese food joints, or places like Bade Miyaan. Bombay offers great food options.:two_thumbs_up: xxx
Bade Miyaan is a popular joint which I frequented when I was checking out Gateway of India. Their is a good Kamat in Churchgate and the Macdonalds in Fort is a good joint for young adults. I like the Bistro coffee shops which are all over Mumbai nowadays.