Sanjay Manjrekar HUGE six off Merv Hughes

Robelinda

The match was such a disappointment with the rain rules docking 3 overs and just 1 runs from the target. Shastri played one of the most pitiful ODI innings. Azhar batted superbly as well and then More had a brain fart after hitting 2 boundaries and getting the target within reach went for a third one.

WE lost this by 1 run' date=' didn't we?[/quote'] Yeah, India needed 13 to win off the last over by Moody. Fineleg was up and More glanced two consecutive boundaries by shuffling across the stumps to make it 5 off the last 4 deliveries. Instead of doing it without risk from thereon he attempted the shot again and was bowled leaving 5 to get off 3. With 4 needed off the last ball Srinath had a mighty heave and Waugh dropped the catch at the boundary. The idiot Raju thought Srinath had clobbered a boundary and started celebrating without running :laugh:. By the time he realized what was going on there wasn't enough time to run 3 which would have leveled the scores.

Merv had bowled a similar slower ball in preceding test series which Manjrekar got out to ...so I guess he waiting for this and yes Mr Srinath was definitely the best runner between the wickets human race has ever produced...even Inzi found his running quite embarrassing :-)

Yeah, India needed 13 to win off the last over by Moody. Fineleg was up and More glanced two consecutive boundaries by shuffling across the stumps to make it 5 off the last 4 deliveries. Instead of doing it without risk from thereon he attempted the shot again and was bowled leaving 5 to get off 3. With 4 needed off the last ball Srinath had a mighty heave and Waugh dropped the catch at the boundary. The idiot Raju thought Srinath had clobbered a boundary and started celebrating without running :laugh:. By the time he realized what was going on there wasn't enough time to run 3 which would have leveled the scores.
:facepalm: In the end, did this game cost us dearly for the SF place in the 92 WC? I'm sure the washed out game against SL must have also played it's part. I was just too young to remember these things!

:facepalm: In the end, did this game cost us dearly for the SF place in the 92 WC? I'm sure the washed out game against SL must have also played it's part. I was just too young to remember these things!
Well if you just go by results the win would not have made a difference. We would still have only 7 points and 9 were needed to qualify for the semi finals in the tally. But this match, the washed out game against Sri Lanka, and the one against England prior to that were matches India should have won. Shastri was singularly responsible for this loss and the one against England. By the time he was dropped and Indian won against Pakistan in Australia (where the team had acclimatized well due to the tests and triangular series) the Indian matches moved to NZ where they were comprehensively outplayed. I think the biggest reasons for not advancing excluding Shastri's crap batting was that Azhar and Tendulkar did not score in the same match, though individually both did very well in the tournament, and Kapil, who was in excellent batting form, was always kept too low down to make a telling impact. In that line up Kapil should have been batting in the top 5. Rob, can you please put up the last ball of this match. It was hilarious to see Raju raising his bat in victory before he realized what was happening and started running.

Once I met More which was good 10-12 years of this match and reminded him of that last over. He just grinned and I felt he didn't exactly like me bringing that up. That last over was some experience. With requirement reading 13 off 6, not many gave India much of the chance. But with More hitting those 2 4's on first two balls we cam very within striking distance, but only to give it away. Srinath was unfortunate that after getting spilled from Waugh's hands, ball fell inside boundry line. It could very well have gone outside.

I mentioned these 2 innings by Manju and More in the cameos thread on Cric talk...Another classic Ind-Aus WC encounter following the 87 1 run game and preceeding the 96 game. Unfortunately their worst game had to be in a final :((