Smith Questions Format after Exit!

Prudent

Please explain how South Africa in every major tournament have managed to crash out in do or die situations if you don't believe the choker thing?
Shwetabh , for me to really express in proper words what i feel about this choker thingy, it would take a couple of pages. I shall do that when i have a bit more free time. As a cricket lover , i would have loved to see Pak Vs SA semis , rather than Pak vs NZ.
It was clear from the start that to qualify for the semis teams would need to win at least 2 out of 3 games in the Super 8s and in the event of a three way tie' date=' NRR would be accounted for, which is a fair enough call. [/quote'] Just because everyone knew what the tournament format was, doesnt mean it is right.
Knowing all this if a team allows the opposition to score at 8 an over and can't even score at 6 RPO to qualify on a pitch doctored to suit them, then the only place they deserve is their living rooms.
Yes, no qualms with that. But, two hours of bad cricket and you are out ? while other teams that have lost couple of matches before make it through ? And we arent even talking of knockout stages yet.
Okie ' date=' so you have bad 2 hour period and you are out ? Then , what about the good 10 hours of cricket you had played earlier ?[/quote'] well that's what happens in knock out stages anyways. so, if pakistan who have beaten the mighty aussies and have a 3-0 record in the second round have a bad day (i hope they do) vs NZ, is it poor format that will be throwing them out?
Guest dada_rocks
Fair enough , but the point is , every team has a bad day , but that one bad day shouldnt mean they are out of the tournament. India was at the receiving end during WC 2007. Because of that, some really useless teams qualified , making the tournament boring in the latter stages.
At the end it's going to be down to one day.. bad or good..