Any future changes you would like to see in IPL ?

kubrickian

Looking at google maps, its about 69 km from green park stadium in kanpur to lucknow airport. I am sure that if they build an expressway between lucknow and kanpur it can be possible to host a franchise there. But as things stand the road in between both destinations is in poor conditions.
the road is no longer in poor condition - it was rebuilt about 2 years ago. Anyways, there's no need for people to go from Lko to Kanpur because an international Stadium is going to be built in Lko soon and hopefully in a few years International cricket will return to Lko :yay::yay: p.s. I hope Lko never, ever has an IPL team.

People asking for a Lucknow franchise?? Does Lucknow even have an Intl. level stadium??? Better give a franchise to Ahmedabad, one to Kochi (not a stupid management like last time) and one to Bhopal which is coming up with a world class stadium ... May even stage some matches in Gwalior or Indore.
That is coming since ages my friend :sad:

Dude, you are talking as if Lucknow doesn't have these things. The combined population of Lucknow and Kanpur is twice that of Pune and Jaipur, and more than Calcutta, Madras, and Ahmedabad. You think filling up the stadium will be a problem? Flight connectivity, good hotels, security? What does Pune offer in that respect that Lucknow can't? What do you mean viable for hosting IPL games? Ranchi, Dharamshala are hosting IPL games, so is Lucknow-Kanpur disqualified? I don't know of the reasons why Sahara did not bid for Lucknow, but it's certainly not due to the some shabby infrastructure that you are suggesting. I bet it takes less time to get there than from the Bangalore airport to Chinnaswamy stadium. The kind of reasons you and carnish are offering for Lucknow not having a franchise are completely flimsy.
LOL ... You took me serious about Lucknow ... Never been there and don't know much about it. I will agree with anything you say me about Lucknow. Pune, I have been to and know that the infrastructure is good, very good. But with all that I read about UP, esp. Lucknow and as you said, with its huge population, I have my doubts about the infrastructure. The roads, the traffic and biggest of it all, the UP police :giggle: Sorry if I offended anyone from Lucknow.

secondly that pune stadium is located on the mumbai pune expressway in the middle of Pune and Navi mumbai. You might as well consider it a pax Mumbai-Pune stadium with a population center served of 12 million people including eastern subrubs of Mumbai Navi Mumbai and Kalyan/Dombivali + Pimpri chinchwad and Pune itself. I can reach this stadium in about 70 min by car from my apartment in Mulund Mumbai, (an eastern suburb) , it takes me 90 minutes to reach Wankhede via chruchgate station after changing at Dadar via public transport in Mumbai. Forget the car with searching for parking etc it will take much longer. Even Lucknow-Kanpur-Baranki cannot compete with those population levels. On top of which per capita income in western maharashtra outstrips that in central UP by say a factor of 5. Which means people can afford the higher ticket prices. In about 20 years time me thinks Mumbai and pune are going to simply merge to become a giant megapolis. There are also other factors, this new stadium is located about 50km along the expressway of the new Navi Mumbai airport in Panvel which is upcoming. So you are looking at heavy further development in infra.

secondly that pune stadium is located on the mumbai pune expressway in the middle of Pune and Navi mumbai. You might as well consider it a pax Mumbai-Pune stadium with a population center served of 12 million people including eastern subrubs of Mumbai Navi Mumbai and Kalyan/Dombivali + Pimpri chinchwad and Pune itself. I can reach this stadium in about 70 min by car from my apartment in Mulund Mumbai, (an eastern suburb) , it takes me 90 minutes to reach Wankhede via chruchgate station after changing at Dadar via public transport in Mumbai. Forget the car with searching for parking etc it will take much longer. Even Lucknow-Kanpur-Baranki cannot compete with those population levels. On top of which per capita income in western maharashtra outstrips that in central UP by say a factor of 5. Which means people can afford the higher ticket prices. In about 20 years time me thinks Mumbai and pune are going to simply merge to become a giant megapolis. There are also other factors, this new stadium is located about 50km along the expressway of the new Navi Mumbai airport in Panvel which is upcoming. So you are looking at heavy further development in infra.
This was the point I had thought of yesterday but forgot today while replying to Outy. :doh:

In terms of Lucknow etc I just dont think it can sustain a franchise if somebody bids 300 million odd (over 10 years) for it. Tickets would have to be expensive and the stadium would need to be atleast 50,000. So anybody taking the franchise to Lucknow would have to be ready to take a huge financial hit. Ie be a billionaire fan of the place or something. for me Lucknow/Kanpur can sustain a 80 million (over 10 years) franchise fee without the owners bleeding money.

This was the point I had thought of yesterday but forgot today while replying to Outy. :doh:
well its the obvious one really. apart from say Rajasthan, most franchises are in the richer parts of the country. Rajasthan got away with it cause they bid for the franchise at a dirt cheap (67 million USD) price and were lucky to have the stadium and airport infra in place. I dont think in todays climate Rajasthan would have ever existed. Gujarat would have been there for sure. They are the only gap. The 10th franchise will mostly goto A'bad and if not then Nagpur. Both cities have good stadiums and airports and other infra ready. A team can just move in with ease. I do believe Roy himself also considered Nagpur after his spat with Maharashtra cricket board, and contemplated basing his franchise in Nagpur and calling them Maharashtra Warriors. It might still happen.

BTW a new International level stadium will be built in Lko soon.
Did Akhilesh tell you that? He's been inviting tenders for some mega projects since the last year, no change on ground. Added to that the need to provide security to teams from being kidnapped by the samajwadi gundas.:hysterical:

No they should not increase the number of IPL teams. Doing so would further dilute the strength of the teams which would make it even harder for IPL teams to compete against the Australian and South African teams in the CLT20 where despite having twice as many IPL teams and access to more foreign players the IPL teams have struggled. If anything I would like them to get rid of player auctions. In order to build their fanbases the teams must all retain their main players for quite some time. This kind of auction every 3 years or so doesn't help the cause at all. I would also like them to get rid of PWI and replace them with a team from a Northeastern state because I feel that region isn't represented and it's unfair how a state like Maharashtra gets to have two teams while others have either 0 or 1, though I doubt this would ever happen.

No they should not increase the number of IPL teams. Doing so would further dilute the strength of the teams which would make it even harder for IPL teams to compete against the Australian and South African teams in the CLT20 where despite having twice as many IPL teams and access to more foreign players the IPL teams have struggled. If anything I would like them to get rid of player auctions. In order to build their fanbases the teams must all retain their main players for quite some time. This kind of auction every 3 years or so doesn't help the cause at all. I would also like them to get rid of PWI and replace them with a team from a Northeastern state because I feel that region isn't represented and it's unfair how a state like Maharashtra gets to have two teams while others have either 0 or 1, though I doubt this would ever happen.
They have won it 2 out of 4 times and CSK won it in SA. How have they struggled???