Headscarf thread locked??

King Tendulkar

I know you locked it cos of your religious policy but its a bit OTT The BBC reported it but we cant on this forum. Crazy! We have less freedom of speech then a highly scruitinsed public news body! A news body which is renowned for fairness and PC stuff. Yet we cant on this site. Also some other posters including a high profile mod start suchreligious threads eg Malik post speech. Yet that was not locked but my thread was! It all smacks of hypocricy and double standards!

The news article is still there. It wasn't deleted. There was only one direction that thread was heading to as with so many similar threads in the past. BBC has the backing of a huge amount of money and power behind it. Comparing our site to theirs is ridiculous. We are primarily a cricketing portal and have run into trouble in the past due to over the top religious discussions and none of us have the time, money, or inclination to fight any legal battles. Regarding the Shoaib Malik thread, it started out as a cricketing discussion and even that thread by a "high profile mod" was moved out to GD once it went the usual route.

Moved not locked. Massive difference! Double Standards!
Arre baba, the topic was a cricketing one and so still had potential for a cricketing discussion, and in the end Malik's retraction/apology was also posted in that thread. What were you planning to discuss in the thread you are referring to further? The news was posted and condemned. What else is the potential of that thread?

Guest dada_rocks

Oke guys let mods have some fun once in a while with lockl button , when this becomes little too regular and stringent then we juanta will raise slogan and flag .:giggle:

dsr, I locked it because it was an OT thread on religion and because we had enforced the policy of not having any threads on religious issues a few months ago. We also lock threads that start off on political issues but tail off into religious discussions. The Malik thread was related to cricket.

Guest dada_rocks

U are saying OT and political thread tailing into religious territory will be locked but if the origin of thread is cricket then it can tail off into religion but wud still be oke.... Sounds ridiculous policy to me by all acounts but hey whatever works for u guys:giggle:

Joy of dhimmitude..eh...:giggle:
This seems to be your favourite term. WTF does it mean?
U are saying OT and political thread tailing into religious territory will be locked but if the origin of thread is cricket then it can tail off into religion but wud still be oke.... Sounds ridiculous policy to me by all acounts but hey whatever works for u guys:giggle:
The comments by Malik were made after a high profile cricket game and had cricket at it's essence because he talked about muslims supporting Pak at cricket. Similarly, your thread about clashes in J/K ran it's course without being locked because cricket was involved.

Guest dada_rocks

Gambo I am not accusing u for consitently following this policy in past.. It's just my opinion that if religious discourse is not ON then the origin of thread should not matter and who started the thread should also not matter, the moment it tails of into no-go zone it should be locked. But, then I also know it's very hard to differentiate religion from politics and even from sports, these days. Anyway I just hope this exuberant trigger-happy mode is transient, rationality or irrantionality of justification notwithstanding PS: It's not about whether my thread ran the course or not . If my thread crosses the limit then I would expecxt it to be locked too for the sake of consistentcy ( this word is very dear to me).

This is what I posted in Ravi's thread :

This has already transgressed into a religious discussion beyond Malik's comments. Cut it out guys or the thread has a lock coming on it.
After which the discussion went back on track again, so there was no need to lock it. There is no question of favouritism here. I am sure Ravi would have locked the thread himself if it continued to veer off in a tangent.

Why is Dsr so obsessed with this freedom of speech/expression thingy ? Think he has been listening to too many press conferences by the trans-atlantic alliance.
Cos its always my posts and threads that get edited or locked. The other day I had a thread locked cos I stated I hate cricket. The mods sometimes get trigger happy. At the end of the day the great George Bush is trying to spread democracy and freedom of speech around the world. So be careful mods!

Dsr , just one question. You knew that religious discussions werent allowed here , then why did you post that head-scarf thingy in the first place , irrespective of whether it came in BBC or not. You do something that wasnt exactly correct and then complain of censure. How is that justified ? Though i do have to agree with you on one thing. Your " I hate cricket" thread need not have been locked, IMO And i pity Shwetabh. He has been running to bits , looking out for controversial threads to stop. Some of the other mods , please help him out ! :D

Watching the people get lairy Is not very pretty I tell thee Walking through town is quite scary And not very sensible either A friend of a friend he got beaten He looked the wrong way at a policeman Would never have happened to Smeaton And old Leodiensian La-ah-ah, la la lalala la Ah-ah-ah, la la lalala la I predict a riot, I predict a riot I predict a riot, I predict a riot I tried to get in my taxi A man in a tracksuit attacked me He said that he saw it before me Wants to get things a bit gory Girls run around with no clothes on To borrow a pound for a condom If it wasn't for chip fat, well they'd be frozen They're not very sensible La-ah-ah, la la lalala la Ah-ah-ah, la la lalala la I predict a riot, I predict a riot I predict a riot, I predict a riot And if there's anybody left in here That doesn't want to be out there Watching the people get lairy Is not very pretty I tell thee Walking through town is quite scary And not very sensible La-ah-ah, la la lalala la Ah-ah-ah, la la lalala la I predict a riot, I predict a riot I predict a riot, I predict a riot And if there's anybody left in here That doesn't want to be out there I predict a riot, I predict a riot I predict a riot, I predict a riot