Bring back poor VVS Laxman

Rohan495

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman

Predator' date=' do the names Chetan Sharma, Madan Lal, Chetan Chauhan ring a bell? [/quote'] Can you name any alternative South Indian cricketers who were better than these guys back then ?
The list of mediocrity that has survived from non-southern states is quite appalling.
Let's see that list. Can you also give me a list of world class cricketers from Southie states that never got a look-in ?
Looks like you are moving the goal post. Earlier you challenged me to provide lsit of mediocre players. Now you want to me to provide alternatives. Let me throw in a few names from the South for you. Checkout Raghuram Bhatt: Bowling averages class mat balls runs wkts bbi bbm ave econ sr 4 5 10 Tests 2 438 151 4 2/65 2/65 37.75 2.06 109.50 0 0 0 First-class 82 20837 8478 374 8/43 22.66 2.44 55.71 24 5 List A 12 690 416 12 3/22 3/22 34.66 3.61 57.50 0 0 0 Two facking tests and dumped. Another comes to mind, TA Shekar.

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman This persecution mentality is so pathetic. These are Laxman's performances in his last 5 ODI series: [code:fae5d771f7] 0 Asia Cup (BD/HK/Ind/Pak/SL/UAE) in Sri Lanka, 2004 [Tournament] SL 3 27 14 13.50 0 0 - - - - 3 0 Videocon Cup (Aus/Ind/Pak) in Netherlands, 2004 [Tournament] Aus 2 37 37 37.00 0 0 - - - - 0 0 NatWest Challenge (Eng/Ind) in England, 2004 [Series] Eng 3 71 33 23.66 0 0 - - - - 1 0 ICC Champions Trophy (Aus/BD/Eng/Ind/Ken/NZ/Pak/SA/SL/USA/WI/Zim) in England, 2004 [Tournament] WI 2 82 79 41.00 0 1 - - - - 0 0 BCCI Platinum Jubilee Match (Ind/Pak) in India, 2004/05 [Series] Pak 1 43 43 43.00 0 0 - - - - 0 0 Indian Oil Cup (Ind/SL/WI) in Sri Lanka, 2005 [Tournament] SL 2 29 22 14.50 0 0 - - - - 0 0[/code:1:fae5d771f7] 13 in Asia Cup, 37 in Videoncon Cup which was just 1 inning, 23 against England, 41 in ICCCT 04 thanks to a 79 against Kenya(3 against Pak), 43 in one inning against Pak in Cal and 14 in the tri series last year. He was dropped and deservedly so. yoda, you used to use the same logic w.r.t. to Yuvraj. What do you have to say about that now? Laxman isn't fit to shine Yuvi's boots in ODIs and that is the truth. And Raghuram Bhatt? Seriously? 4 wickets in 2 tests?

Looks like you are moving the goal post. Earlier you challenged me to provide lsit of mediocre players. Now you want to me to provide alternatives.
Yes, because I want to know what kind of world class talents South India could have had as substitutes for Chauhan, Madan Lal and Sharma. Chauhan BTW was the other half of India's best ever opening partnership, Madan Lal was part of a World Cup winning team. Did South India have better players ? I am out of my depth here because a lot of these cricketers played before my time.
Let me throw in a few names from the South for you. Checkout Raghuram Bhatt: Bowling averages Two facking tests and dumped. Another comes to mind, TA Shekar.
So ? What is your point ? I could give you a lengthy list of North Indian cricketers who didn't get a fair crack or didn't even make it to the Indian team. Amre, Muzumdar, Dharmani, Ajay Sharma, Sandeep Patil, Ashok Mankad, Maninder, Shivalkar, Goel, Manhas, Gagandeep Singh etc. were all top performers at FC level. North Zone have produced many more "forgotten" talents than the South has. You could put this down to politics, but that conspiracy theory of yours implying that South Indians deliberately get a hard deal has no basis whatsoever.

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman I don't really care about Laxman's track record in ODIs and he still has time enough to change it. All I can see is Laxman has class enough to bat against anyone and get runs. Fair enough he hasn't scored enough in the recent memory but give him a go now that none of the young ones aren't firing. You cannot keep putting off giving opportunities in the name of last few failed seires' I can understand if everyone was among runs but the current situation demands a change or two if not whole sale. Why not try someone that has class and could get it right in future? Laxman isn't too old to make a come back. Even Rahul Dravid was thought to be no good for ODIs in the 90s but he did make a fantastic come back and now he is probably the best bat India has. I think Laxman deserves a place in this team both in ODIs and in test matches.

This persecution mentality is so pathetic. These are Laxman's performances in his last 5 ODI series: [code:1:2264f7ffc7] 0 Asia Cup (BD/HK/Ind/Pak/SL/UAE) in Sri Lanka, 2004 [Tournament] SL 3 27 14 13.50 0 0 - - - - 3 0 Videocon Cup (Aus/Ind/Pak) in Netherlands, 2004 [Tournament] Aus 2 37 37 37.00 0 0 - - - - 0 0 NatWest Challenge (Eng/Ind) in England, 2004 [Series] Eng 3 71 33 23.66 0 0 - - - - 1 0 ICC Champions Trophy (Aus/BD/Eng/Ind/Ken/NZ/Pak/SA/SL/USA/WI/Zim) in England, 2004 [Tournament] WI 2 82 79 41.00 0 1 - - - - 0 0 BCCI Platinum Jubilee Match (Ind/Pak) in India, 2004/05 [Series] Pak 1 43 43 43.00 0 0 - - - - 0 0 Indian Oil Cup (Ind/SL/WI) in Sri Lanka, 2005 [Tournament] SL 2 29 22 14.50 0 0 - - - - 0 0[/code:1:2264f7ffc7] 13 in Asia Cup, 37 in Videoncon Cup which was just 1 inning, 23 against England, 41 in ICCCT 04 thanks to a 79 against Kenya(3 against Pak), 43 in one inning against Pak in Cal and 14 in the tri series last year. He was dropped and deservedly so. yoda, you used to use the same logic w.r.t. to Yuvraj. What do you have to say about that now? Laxman isn't fit to shine Yuvi's boots in ODIs and that is the truth. And Raghuram Bhatt? Seriously? 4 wickets in 2 tests?
Yuvi isn't fit to shine laxman's shoes in tests and yet he played ahead of him against Eng, IIRC. :shrug: We won Jeet lo dil 2004 cause of laxman. He deserved to stay in the ODI team ahead of both Ganguly and Kaif and possibly Yuvi at that time. Yes, yuvi has become a better ODI bat of late. When i was calling for his head, he was sucking big time non-stop. Raghuram Bhatt was one of the top spinners in domestics. He was ignored forever and finally picked. He surely deserved more than 2 tests to prove himself?

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman yoda, I agree with Laxman being miles ahead of Yuvi in tests. I've always maintained that Laxy HAS to be part of our test XI. And accept the fact that Yuvraj is miles ahead of Laxman in ODIs. And we did not been the 2004 ODI series in Pak just because of Laxman. It was a team effort. Dravid, Pathan,Balaji played consistently well. Sehwag and Laxman had precisely 1 good game each. And when Laxman was dropped, it was because he sucked and not because he is South Indian.

Raghuram Bhatt was one of the top spinners in domestics. He was ignored forever and finally picked. He surely deserved more than 2 tests to prove himself?
Ajay Sharma was the top bat in domestics. All he got was 1 test. Pankaj Dharmani was the best wk batsman I'd seen before Dhoni came along. All he got was 1 frickin ODI.

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman People need to stop bringing random statistics at this point. Constructing a perfect squad for the world cup is essential. I most certainly believe Laxman needs one more chance in one days before the world cup. That number three position is up for grabs. Laxman and Ganguly should be givin another look into the next one day squad. The experience of both these players should bolster India's chances for any revival towards the one day slump. its been a while since these two have played a one day international. Lets give them a chance, let's see what they are all about, lets see how much hunger they have to win the world cup for India. My 15 member squad for the world cup: 1.Rahul Dravid(Captain), 2 Virender Sehwag(Vice Captain), 3. Sachin Tendulkar, 4. Sourav Ganguly, 5. VVS Laxman, 6. Yuvraj Singh, 7. Mohammad Kaif 8. MS Dhoni 9. Harbhajan Singh 10. Irfan Pathan 11. Anil Kumble 12. Zaheer Khan 13. Munaf Patel 14. Sreesanth 15. Ramesh Powar -Thats a real good blend of youth and experience. How hard is it for selectors to select a team like this? this is a perfect 15 man squad. Selecting young guns wont alone get the job done

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman Ajit Agarkar instead of powar im sorry. Another thing is we need to stop quarelling about regional bias. Its kind of pointless, much respect to what you have to say predator, yoda its getting old now, you seriously need to stop. Its just important selectors come up with sensible choice and blend youth and experience effectively so India can be the force in one day cricket it potentially can be

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman Im sorry about bringing Laxman so much in my statements. Its just that i love to see that guy score, its just such a beautiful sight, its just unfortunate not to see it on a regular basis. Hes a class player always will be and i hope things go his way

I just used it as examples. You Dumbass. I didnt say anything about how great they are. I just said every player has lean patches. He lacks MAJOR support compared to players like Dravid and Tendulkar and Yuvraj and Kaif.
Ignoring your outburst, why did you write that sentence? I said don't throw around names and RD and SRT don't need "support" to stay in the team. Prove me wrong. It's not about the lean patches. Laxman still isn't a convincing player in ODIs. It's not like he hasn't been given opportunities. He likes to score against OZs, which is great, but then may be he should be played only against them. And what happened to Yoda's simple consideration of averages only. Even trash kaif has similiar avg to Laxman. But just for the record, I do think Laxman is miles ahead of jokers like Kaif, Raina or even Mongia. See Rohan, how I don't throw around names just because I know them.

look guys im sorry for all the name calling, comeon man we are all Indian and we should be united as always. Look at Pakistan those people are so proud of nothing. I apologize my Indian brothers for calling you names. I just hope selection stays legitimate and every player gets an opportunity for who they are, and how they perform.

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman All of you are over reacting. We lost of SA by 10 wickets in India. This defeat looks better compared to that one. Everyone keeps talking about getting back VVS and Ganguly. Do you remember why they were dropped because we were getting raina type performance from them. Yes there is no harm bringing them back to the team, they might click but on that pitch, VVS still would have got 20 i doubt ganguly would have cross 5.

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman It's not that man. It just that you expierience will eventually prevail. Raw Talent will always be a liability, sure they may have those matches that click where the coach and selection panel goes crazy. Its just that Laxman and Ganguly have been in some big time encounters. That will always hold an indian innings together just some experience would help

Re: Bring back poor VVS Laxman I would wait till the ODIs are over. Ever since Chappel took over as coach the trend is we either win the ODI or the test series. I think SL was the only team against which we won both against all the other teams we either won tests or ODI. Even in WI we lost 4-1 to win the tests. Hope we at the very least win either one of them.