India's Tour to South Africa, 2013

I think having Zaheer in the squad is a good move. He wouldn't be in my first choice XI, but if an injury occurs or poor form after the 1st test, he would be a good replacement, given his current domestic form & most importantly fitness. Ishant is a waste in there. Other than that, i think it is a fair squad. Rahane should get the first run at the No.6 spot and at least be given the 2 tests in this series to stake his claim. Kohli or Rohit to move to No.4.

Who said he will be 11? You need a squad. Or you want someone rubbish as back up
I like ZK in squad. I like ZK in 11 too - since if he is in squad, do we waste him by not playing him in 11? He is the only experienced bowler and left armer and can trouble likes of Graeme Smith I have a feeling MSD will take him in 11 if in squad.
I like ZK in squad. I like ZK in 11 too - since if he is in squad, do we waste him by not playing him in 11? He is the only experienced bowler and left armer and can trouble likes of Graeme Smith I have a feeling MSD will take him in 11 if in squad.
Experience matters a lot in tests. You can't play with rookies like B Kumar, Umesh and Shami and expect to do well against experienced test sides. Zaheer is a must in the playing X1.
Experience matters a lot in tests. You can't play with rookies like B Kumar' date=' Umesh and Shami and expect to do well against experienced test sides. Zaheer is a must in the playing X1.[/quote'] I'm not too fussed either way. If he is to come in, I think Bhuvi should miss out. Shami can swing the ball too and has an extra 5-10kmh pace over Bhuvi.
But for ODIs? Surely we can try a debutant in ODIs. And who is the backup opener for Tests? Usually we take 3 openers for away tour? (Test) Is that Saha or Rayudu or Rahane?
Wasn't Kulkarni picked for WI? But got injured.. at least I'm happy they preferred Ishant over Vinay. Rahane fits into the XI at 6, so I don't think they'll push him to open on his first tour to SA.
This is actually good squads. Not that dissapointed. Can live with it Like I said no Vinnay or Unadkunt, thats the main thing I was having a worrying feeling unadkunt would make tests squad!!! Also no Raina in test squad is another thing I was scared of
Yeah. Happy with the squad. GG should score more runs and make his way to the NZ tour. Hopefully Vijay does well for us.
Finey looking for a reason to complain. I can bet had we picked just 16 players (and dropped Ojha)' date=' she'd would be talking about killing confidence of a young spinner.[/quote'] Kyun had australai series men ojha ko drop kiya tha after being the best bowler against england ,bahut bada hoga confidence uska.
No Pujara for ODIs in SA? And Ishant gets his place back?
Overall a Good selection ...However, - not happy what message they are giving by selecting Ishant in both the squads after dropping him ...It seems some cheap wickets -29/5 spell against a lowly state side was enough to win his place back ...He should have been given time to work on the reasons due to which he was dropped and unless those are corrected, he should not have been brought back . - No W/k in ODI squad . Are they considering Ambati Rayudu now as backup ODI batsman W/k for such an important tour ? If yes, I am sure they plan to take him to WC 2015 also as backup W/k .God forbid, if Dhoni is injured, I wouldn't want Rayudu to be India Goal-keeper :hysterical: His W/k for Mumbai Indians had been atrocious. Gambhir was unlucky. But he should keep making runs and work on his weaknesses. I hope he makes his way back in NZ tour where he enjoyed great success in 2009.

Decent squads except Lambu selection.No need of 6 seamers in the ODI squad so BK,Shami,Zak,Umesh & Mohit in ODI squad was enough & Pandey in plae of Ishant in the test squad would've been ideal.Shami,BK & Umesh are likely to start in tests & Zak,Pandey as back ups.Pandey did some decent job in the A tour to SA. Still missed out........sad :((