Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

Agreement between India and DK or India or Maid is not subject to US laws.As those are between a sovereign state and its employee.Thats very clear in Vienna convention. Sentences dont matter if they are not carried out.But i doubt sentence will be given.
They are if they're carried out on US soil. FTR - "India" doesn't hire the maid, Devyani an "Indian diplomat" does. It will be quite difficult for MEA-India to show Sangeeta Richards on their payroll. :cantstop:

yea i know that answers to all your questions might end up showing dk dishonored even the unwritten system that indian diplomats have followed till now. But do the americans need to go into all of this? They have her at visa fraud. That's enough to humiliate us if what they have done already is not enough. They might need the rest to prove the trafficking allegation which would be even worse. As of now i will back the indian position, sorry my position that the maid is just working the fecked up system indians were following. I would be neutral if the something like this had come up in india or if the accused were not representing india in some form but not in this case
Apparently, past violations haven't sent the message so they want to have a court convicted. If that doesn't send the message, the next time they will lodge someone in prison I am actually neutral - IDK what to make of it but the one sided posts are making me tell the other side of the story.

They are if they're carried out on US soil. FTR - "India" doesn't hire the maid' date=' Devyani an "Indian diplomat" does. It will be quite difficult for MEA-India to show Sangeeta Richards on their payroll. :cantstop:[/quote'] Contracts were signed in India.And how difficult it is for GOI to manipulate things in banks and get a backdated contract showing DK was working for GOI and it was GOI who authorised her on their behalf to sign contract with Richards. No issues between GOI and any of its employees in US are subject to any laws of US.Thats very clear in Vienna convention.Absolutely clear.

yea i know that answers to all your questions might end up showing dk dishonored even the unwritten system that indian diplomats have followed till now. But do the americans need to go into all of this? They have her at visa fraud. That's enough to humiliate us if what they have done already is not enough. They might need the rest to prove the trafficking allegation which would be even worse. As of now i will back the indian position, sorry my position that the maid is just working the fecked up system indians were following. I would be neutral if the something like this had come up in india or if the accused were not representing india in some form but not in this case
For the life of me I can't figure out why India is associating so much nationalistic pride behind this Devyan. The tamasha has barely begun and she's already been shown to be a lying politician: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/devyani-khobragade-among-illegal-beneficiaries-says-adarsh-probe-panel-report-461230 A millionaire, who posted a $250,000 bail within hours of getting arrested, but couldn't pay her maid minimum wage? What the f***. If you think punishing her for her crimes puts Indian's "image at line", you're only speaking for yourself. I'm upset at GOI is dancing at her toetips. GOI should be getting the US to release her so she can be tried for frauds committed in India. There is an issue of USA ignoring Vienna conventions though, but this isn't news. USA, UK and Israel have never given UN conventions much thought. They violate international laws every Sunday which the rest of us follow. The world on the other hand is looking at India which is defending and promoting a corrupted official.

For the life of me I can't figure out why India is associating so much nationalistic pride behind this Devyan. The tamasha has barely begun and she's already been shown to be a lying politician: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/devyani-khobragade-among-illegal-beneficiaries-says-adarsh-probe-panel-report-461230 A millionaire, who posted a $250,000 bail within hours of getting arrested, but couldn't pay her maid minimum wage? What the f***. If you think punishing her for her crimes puts Indian's "image at line", you're only speaking for yourself. I'm upset at GOI is dancing at her toetips. GOI should be getting the US to release her so she can be tried for frauds committed in India. There is an issue of USA ignoring Vienna conventions though, but this isn't news. USA, UK and Israel have never given UN conventions much thought. They violate international laws every Sunday which the rest of us follow. The world on the other hand is looking at India which is defending and promoting a corrupted official.
Indian government should care infinitely more about the opinion of the people of India than the rest of the world. And the opinion of the people of India was expressed vividly in the Parliament over this issue.

DV not only lied on the visa form, she also lied in the Adarsh housing society forms. Old habits die hard. And to think, people just want her to be let off without any repercussions. The ***** completely deserves whats coming to her.
You are either totally incapable of processing this thread or totally engrossed in your axe to grind. Devyani should get whats comming to her. FROM HER OWN GOVERNMENT. NOT A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT IN CONTRAVENTION TO THE VIENNA ACCORDS. We are pissed about the US attempts to prosecute her illegally. Not whether she deserves prosecution or not! Like seriously, get on with the program!

Contracts were signed in India.And how difficult it is for GOI to manipulate things in banks and get a backdated contract showing DK was working for GOI and it was GOI who authorised her on their behalf to sign contract with Richards. No issues between GOI and any of its employees in US are subject to any laws of US.Thats very clear in Vienna convention.Absolutely clear.
:cantstop: Please, please! You have been watching too many Hollywood films. The contract between the maid and DK has to be shown to the US government for obtaining a visa. The US won't accept the visa IF the form shows

It’s Khobragade’s mistake

Let’s review the facts as they have been reported thus far. As a senior diplomat, Khobragade was eligible to apply to the US government for a visa to take a personal employee with her when she was assigned to the Indian High Commission in New York. She presumably filed an A-3 non-immigrant visa application for Sangeeta Richard, her domestic help, supporting it with paperwork to show that Sangeeta Richard would receive a fair wage of $9.75 an hour for a 40-hour week. This wage stipulation is not new to the million or so Indian H-1B visa applicants over the last decade. Veterans will confirm that the prevailing wage section in the Labor Condition Application has to be perfect or there is a risk of the visa being denied. How Khobragade took such an important declaration to the US government so lightly beats logic. As a senior visa official herself, she ought to have appreciated that supporting documents, contracts and affidavits mean what they say. It appears now that she not only disregarded her contract to pay her domestic help the $9.75/hour but also negotiated a separate, private agreement which paid her only Rs 30,000 a month — about $3.31 an hour assuming a 40-hour week. Domestic helpers in the US rarely work just 40 hours a week, so the real wage rate was probably under $3 an hour.
http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/its-khobragades-mistake/article5483351.ece/ That author is a visa expert.

Illegal attempts to prosecute her? She enjoys bugger all immunity. Whatever immunity she does enjoy is not enough to bail her out of her crimes. In any case, why should we believe her side of the story? She lied on official documentation and committed fraud before. :gossip:
You are nowhere competent enough to claim that she enjoys no immunity, particularly after we've had our consular general say explicitly that she does. At best, you can say that the US needs to PROVE that it has jurisdiction in the case. But the default scenario lies against the US government here- by default, she being a diplomat has diplomatic immunity. We dont care about her side of the story. What we care about is how dare the US government prosecute a diplomat from India instead of extraditing her. This is about jurisdictional tresspass from the US. Not the determination of criminality from the accused.

Devyani Khobgrade should thank heavens that the Adarsh Housing Co-Op won't be liable in US court. In US law, if you are proved that you were lying earlier future statements from you are nearly disregarded. That would be a shut and open case. Oh and btw for people still wondering, Adarsh Co-Op society was meant for widows of soldiers in Kargil war. Forget that - she wasn't even in the IFS when Kargil happened. :cantstop:

Muloghonto, you seem slightly confused, old chap. A diplomat can get away with murder under diplomatic immunity. DV was not a diplomat, she was a just a glorified paper pusher working under an exaggerated title. She is accused of visa fraud, exploitation and/or human trafficking in the US. For someone who is nothing more than a bloody paper pusher who enjoys very little consular immunity, let alone any diplomatic immunity, how do you want the US authorities to treat her? If I understand your point of view correctly, you want the US to apologise and let her go scott free.

Blind Freddy and his dog can see that it was DV's mistake. Really don't understand the unflinching love this criminal is getting.
The people alleging racism and conspiracy theories should also read this part in the article very carefully.
In 1993, Zoë Baird, an outstanding candidate for appointment as President Bill Clinton’s attorney general, withdrew her nomination because she was found to have hired a nanny illegally and had not paid sufficient social security taxes as demanded by law. Two of President Bush’s nominees had to withdraw due to nanny issues — Linda Chavez (as Labor Secretary, in 2001) and Bernard Kerik, New York City’s former top cop (homeland security, 2004). In the US, there is an expectation that public officials should be compliant with the laws they are supposed to uphold. Millions of Indians in the US are treated fairly by the police every day. To draw a racist conclusion in this case would be premature and counter-productive at a time when both countries need each other.
But, the best suggestion on the thread has been to forge contract between Devyani and Sangeeta to show Sangeeta on MEA payroll. It is apparently "quite easy" and very acceptable for us. We're the one to point fingers at US!