2014 Lok Sabha Elections thread |Exit poll results

ganeshran

I was pointing towards the larger discussion before NM was anointed as PM candidate. Many critics suggested that he'd hurt the party's chances since he wasn't 'inclusive'. Not that it matters whether it was you' date=' [b']but was it a valid argument ?
that is to be seen... Honestly speaking, the Assembly elections were not a good barometer to measure Modi's effectiveness/ineffectiveness because the regional leaders had too much of influence.

Lok Sabha elections to be held from mid-April

NEW DELHI: Bracing for the big exercise, the Election Commission is all set to hold Lok Sabha elections starting mid-April and spread it over at least five phases till early May. The much-awaited announcement for the polls is likely to be made by the end of February or early March, for which work has already begun, top Commission sources said. Along with the Lok Sabha polls, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Sikkim will go to polls to elect their new assemblies. "The announcement of the poll schedule would be done in the last days of February or at best the first two-three days of March," the sources told . Before the scheduled announcement, the Lok Sabha may meet for one last time to pass a vote-on-account budget to enable expenditure for six months of the new fiscal year 2014-15 to give time for the new Government to present a full-fledged budget in the next Parliament. There is also speculation that a special session of Parliament may be convened shortly to pass anti-corruption measures by the government in the run up to the elections. The term of the current Lok Sabha expires on June 1 and the new House has to be constituted by May 31. The Commission is looking into the issue of whether to spread the elections over five phases or may be one more phase. An estimated 80 crore voters will be eligible to vote in the coming elections after new voters have been added to the rolls, whose final revision is underway. The Commission has already got the electoral rolls ready, except for some "health check-ups" to be made so that they are out before the end of this month, they said. "We already have a list of electoral rolls. We need to update it. We expect that before January end, the lists will be ready," a top EC official said.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Lok-Sabha-elections-to-be-held-from-mid-April/articleshow/28435210.cms

ख़बरबाज़ी ‏@khabarbaazi यूपीए सरकार ने देश के खजाने को खाली कर दिया है इसका इससे बड़ा सबूत और क्या हो सकता है कि शरद पवार ने लोकसभा चुनाव लड़ने से मना कर दिय है।

like the #ThankYouSachin after Goddy retired, there's a #ThankYouSharad made for Pawar :laugh: Aakash Jain(Anyjain) ‏@anyjain Sharad.. Sharad.. will always reverberate in my ears till my last breath.. #ThankYouSharad Kamal Krishna ‏@KSQR One. Final.Tight. Slap. #ThankYouSharad Sandip Mandalia ‏@S_Mandalia To get your Personalized house in Maharashtra or anywhere in India...tweet using #ThankYouSharad ipiyush™ ‏@polititionbaba he knows that what he'll receive if contests LS election .. #babajikathulluu #thankyousharad unmanagedbean ‏@unmanagedbean NCP to give an autographed sugarcane. “@rameshsrivats: #ThankYouSharad”

Well 180 is not that high number once you go through the states. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
in 1999 BJP won 182 seats. It won 7 in AP, 2 in Assam, 9 in orissa, 4 in TN, 2 in WB, 1 in Andaman & Nicobar, 2 in J&K - total of 27 seats out of which it will win hardly any this time. BJP also won 23 in Bihar and 29 in UP - total of 52 seats. I do not think they can win a total of 52 from these two states this time. They won 29 out of 40 seats in MP - now there are only 29 seats in MP so if BJP performs really well (which I expect them to) even then there will be a loss of 3-4 seats here. They won 20 in Gujarat - I don't expect a gain/loss of more than 1 here. How do you think they will get to more than 180 in such a situation? In the end UP and Bihar matter the most - in BJP does really well there then they have a good chance otherwise not.

firstpostin: NCP chief Sharad Pawar not to contest Lok Sabha polls: Praful Patel Sad day for Indian democracy :((
that is to be seen... Honestly speaking, the Assembly elections were not a good barometer to measure Modi's effectiveness/ineffectiveness because the regional leaders had too much of influence.
Pawar won’t contest LS polls, to take RS route http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/pawar-won-t-contest-ls-polls-to-take-rs-route/article1-1169614.aspx

The good polls like CSDS' date=' Total Chanakya were able to capture the sentiment of the voters in their exit poll prediction. The idiotic ones like Aaj Tak etc. shouldn't be taken seriously in any case as they suffer from TRP syndrome.[/quote'] Only at the Exit poll stage, and that too after 7 PM, when the unexpected and continued lines at polling booths were surprising. At the opinion poll stage no one gave AAP a chance.

Only at the Exit poll stage' date=' and that too after 7 PM, when the unexpected and continued lines at polling booths were surprising. At the opinion poll stage no one gave AAP a chance.[/quote'] Right! But some Nobel Prize winning psephologists in channels like Aaj Tak, Times Now etc. didn't even give a chance to AAP after the exit polls!

Right! But some Nobel Prize winning psephologists in channels like Aaj Tak' date=' Times Now etc. didn't even give a chance to AAP after the exit polls![/quote'] Lets not be too harsh on these exit polls. Most of the margin of win loss ratio in Delhi have been very very close. It gave almost true pictures in MP, Rajasthan, Chattisgarh only exception was Delhi and reason might be the closely fought elections.

in 1999 BJP won 182 seats. It won 7 in AP, 2 in Assam, 9 in orissa, 4 in TN, 2 in WB, 1 in Andaman & Nicobar, 2 in J&K - total of 27 seats out of which it will win hardly any this time. BJP also won 23 in Bihar and 29 in UP - total of 52 seats. I do not think they can win a total of 52 from these two states this time. They won 29 out of 40 seats in MP - now there are only 29 seats in MP so if BJP performs really well (which I expect them to) even then there will be a loss of 3-4 seats here. They won 20 in Gujarat - I don't expect a gain/loss of more than 1 here. How do you think they will get to more than 180 in such a situation? In the end UP and Bihar matter the most - in BJP does really well there then they have a good chance otherwise not.
Yeah fair analysis. My guess is they will do well in UP more so than Bihar. Also, Karnataka and Delhi will go for BJP, or that is my sense. Orissa there will be alliance. Patnaik is an opportunist, if BJP gets good numbers. WB will spring a surprise. But yeah, come to think of it, 180 will not be so straight forward. However, I predict if we have a hung assembly and BJP emerge comfortably as single largest party, they will win big in re election.