Indian-American becomes Governor

Ram

_44188963_jindal_ap203b.jpg Mr Jindal has promised to fight corruption in Louisiana The US state of Louisiana has elected its first non-white governor, Bobby Jindal, since the 1870s. Mr Jindal, 36, also becomes the youngest US governor and the first Indian-American to head a state. The Republican took 54% of the vote to win outright over his nearest rival, Democrat Walter Boasso, who got 18%. Outgoing Democratic Governor Kathleen Blanco chose not to run again after she was widely criticised for her handling of the 2005 Hurricane Katrina crisis. The Oxford-educated son of Indian immigrants, Mr Jindal narrowly lost the 2003 election to Ms Blanco. In his victory speech, Mr Jindal repeated his election pledge to fight corruption in the state. "They can either go quietly or they can go loudly, but either way they will go," he said, referring to people who were "feeding at the public trough". He has also promised to cut taxes and improve education. ---------- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7054949.stm

What happened to Fareed Zakaria ? he was tipped to become Secretary of State sometime ago.. That will be something radical - An person of Indian origin ' date=' a Muslim becoming America's Secretary of State.[/quote'] Fareed Zakaria as Secretary of State?? How did that happen? I mean the only claim the man has is to be an expert on some issues on a National Channel, plus a columnist for Newsweek. I dont think he has ever occupied a High enough position to be even considered for SOS. By the way SOS is one of the top 3 position in USA after President and Vice-President. Back to the topic it is not surprising that LA went to Republican as Katrina fiasco was overseen largely by a Democrat Governor. It is though suprising that people failed to realize how much of a mess the Republican Govt at the centre made. As for Jindal yes we Indians are a bunch that celebrates its second generation heroes in West much more than it does its very own people so no surprises there. xxx

He converted to catholism as a teenager. He goes by the name of Bobby (aaprently after his family watched The Brady Bunch). He is "100% against abortion" and wants to ban without exceptions for the life of the woman, the health of the woman, rape, or incest. He has a rating of "A" from the "Gun Owners of America." He consistently votes "anti-environment." He is a avid supporter of the war in Iraq. Safe to say he's about as right wing as it gets in mainstream American politics. (Got most info from wiki page)

he is your token rubber stamp republican. i have little respect for this chump. if you want to admire some indians, then look to the georgetown law professor who successfully defended a couple of GITMO detainees. and the journalist from the Washington Post who wrote the critique on the iraq war: "life in the emerald city".

He converted to catholism as a teenager. He goes by the name of Bobby (aaprently after his family watched The Brady Bunch). He is "100% against abortion" and wants to ban without exceptions for the life of the woman, the health of the woman, rape, or incest. He has a rating of "A" from the "Gun Owners of America." He consistently votes "anti-environment." He is a avid supporter of the war in Iraq. Safe to say he's about as right wing as it gets in mainstream American politics. (Got most info from wiki page)
He sure as hell ain't getting MY vote for anything.

i remember reading somewhere that jindal often tries to belittle his indian roots and that he had even converted to christianity some years ago.
I've heard this guy speak- he is basically a hardcore catholic who holds the ' thank Goodness that the west came to India and civilized this barbarian land and gave them the message of the Lord Chirst' viewpoint. He is a good speaker & a very affable person, so he does seem very down-to-earth but he is definitely not someone i'd feel proud about and identify as 'Indians who've done well'. A man who has no respect for his own indegenous culture, especially when his culture happens to be one of the top 3 oldest in the world & illustrious at such a high level, deserves pity at best. Not adulation. Problem with India is that in its metoric rise, it has also created a lot of clueless idiots that follow the 'lets copy America, coz we idolize America' ideology and it is evident at the board here. This is why this is big news in India, we are a pretty insecure bunch who feels the need to 'identify with/thump chest about' anyone who hits the news for any 'power/adulation' reasons outside of India, particularly, the west. I don't have a problem with Indians who live in america or ABCDs but those who go around continuously citing America as an example or saying how we should copy them ( and at the same time, play up the patriotism/great concern for Indian culture along with anti-Islamic tirades-most of which i don't disagree with btw), should take some time and learn some of America's history of the last 400 years, leading up and to 1970s. I know that a lot of us here feel extreme distaste for the barbarian genocidal 'islamic invaders of the 700-1700 AD period' that raped the hell out of India but these same people don't realize that the way American 'invaders' treated NATIVE AMERICANS and other people ( basically, all colored folks) makes Aurangzeb look like mahatma Gandhi and that is not a hyperbole at the very least.

Why we gloat over 2nd and 3rd generation PIOs (people of Indian origin) doing well in some foreign land' date=' having absolutely no bearing in any way whatsoever on India is completely beyond me![/quote'] Sorry gs, this is unacceptable. It has a bearing, because whether for good or for bad, we are all, in our unique way, ambassadors of India to the foreign cultures. How we ultimately conduct ourselves in society ultimately reflects on India and is a reflection of India. And PIOs are no less Indians than you- a person is Indian if they consider India to be his/her motherland and/or consider Indian culture (or whatever part of it) to be integral to their being. And the Indian government recognizes this too and i hope you are aware of this. For eg, a 2nd/3rd/4th gen. PIO can automatically qualify for citizenship of India if they can prove to have Indian ancetstry in either side of the family free(mother or father's). So when culturally we are viewed as representing Indian culture(by foreigners) and when the Indian government itself views PIOs to be 'Indians anytime they chose to be', your comments are definitely misplaced. It is important to criticize and celebrate PIOs no differently than our own desi blokes.

Sorry gs, this is unacceptable. It has a bearing, because whether for good or for bad, we are all, in our unique way, ambassadors of India to the foreign cultures. How we ultimately conduct ourselves in society ultimately reflects on India and is a reflection of India. And PIOs are no less Indians than you- a person is Indian if they consider India to be his/her motherland and/or consider Indian culture (or whatever part of it) to be integral to their being. And the Indian government recognizes this too and i hope you are aware of this. For eg, a 2nd/3rd/4th gen. PIO can automatically qualify for citizenship of India if they can prove to have Indian ancetstry in either side of the family free(mother or father's). So when culturally we are viewed as representing Indian culture(by foreigners) and when the Indian government itself views PIOs to be 'Indians anytime they chose to be', your comments are definitely misplaced. It is important to criticize and celebrate PIOs no differently than our own desi blokes.
Ok, I agree with this to some extent. But then someone like Sunita Williams being celebrated in Gujarat and then meeting Sonia Gandhi?!? for what?!? Not sure how many Indian kids were inspired by her to become astronauts! And then to gloat over Bobby Jindal's victory is absolutely meaningless if at all the reports about him downplaying his Indian-ness is true. Wouldn't it be weird celebrating something which the celebrity himself isnt proud of?!?

Guys, please grow up! Learn to accept people who have a different view point. He won this race in a state that was tarnished few years ago by Katrina. Black Americans still stage protest over bad treatment. Even with all these backdrops he won the race. He may be a catholic or he may have a view point that you don't agree with, so what? he made it as the first person from the Indian ethnicity to get to this level in white's dominated party. Lets go ahead and congratulate this guy for his accomplishment! Remember his parents migrated from a country where people cry about Sonia Gandhi's nationality when she led her party to power. Please don't jump into the wagon of Hippocratic,fowl mouthed, ill-manored fools!

Why we gloat over 2nd and 3rd generation PIOs (people of Indian origin) doing well in some foreign land' date=' having absolutely no bearing in any way whatsoever on India is completely beyond me![/quote'] Easy answer is because we tend to crave that Western acceptance. My gripe with news like Bobby Jindal is NOT him being elected as Governor of LA. My gripe is to do with why does it have to be the Headline in National Dailies of India? Forget National Daily, the news was the headline in Mid-Day, the popular Mumbai newspaper. The same newspaper shall hardly cover who was selected as Governor(or CM) in say any other Indian state except for Maharasthra and Gujrat. But that didnt stop them from raising a toast for Mr. Jindal. I can understand India Abroad magazine doing it but why do Indian media fall over each other? In this sense I suppose the vernacular media is much better who simply wouldnt give a damn. xx