Arise, Sir 'liar' - Chappell gets stuck into Botham over bar brawl

Feed

Former Australia captain Ian Chappell has reignited his war of words with Sir Ian Botham by mocking his knighthood and again accusing him of lying about their altercation in a Melbourne pub three decades ago173985352More... Arise, Sir 'liar' - Chappell gets stuck into Botham over bar brawl by AHMER KHOKHAR - More by this author » Last updated at 22:05pm on 23rd October 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments Former Australia captain Ian Chappell has reignited his war of words with Sir Ian Botham by mocking his knighthood and again accusing him of lying about their altercation in a Melbourne pub three decades ago. The outspoken Chappell launched his outburst in response to claims in the most recent installment of Botham's autobiography Head On that he "flattened" Chappell for rubbishing English cricket after issuing him with "three warnings" for repeated abuse. Chappell hit back by claiming the book should be renamed "More Cricket Fairytales" and disputed Botham's version of events before the Centenary Test in 1977, when the England legend-to-be was in Australia on a scholarship playing for Melbourne University in Victoria's grade competition. "There are many skeletons dangling in Botham's cupboard, ranging from stories of drug-taking to general thuggery, and if he keeps peddling his lies, there's every chance more of these stories will emerge," Chappell wrote in Australia's Bulletin magazine. "Someone is going to regret awarding him a knighthood. Apart from having us in the same bar, the rest is a fairytale. "He put an empty beer glass against my face and threatened: 'I'll cut you from ear to ear'. "I told him that would only confirm that he is a coward. I was leaning back in my chair at the time and when he pushed me in the chest, I fell backwards. "As I got up, he suggested we settle it outside, to which I replied: 'I don't fight. You either finish up in jail or hospital and I don't intend visiting either over a c*** like you'." Botham has always denied threatening Chappell with a beer glass. Chappell claims the pair's animosity began when Botham accused him of verbal abuse in a match between Australia and Somerset at Taunton two years before, even though Chappell had rested himself for that game. The enmity continued when Botham, who was suspended for cannabis use in 1986, was recruited as a bowling adviser with England and Chappell quipped that the only thing he could teach cricketers was "how to roll spliffs". A truce briefly seemed possible after the pair appeared as pundits on Australian TV in 1998. Yet all hopes of reconciliation were ended last year when Chappell devoted 10 pages of his autobiography, Hitting Out, to savaging Botham. Among the few printable epithets they have thrown at each other, Chappell once referred to Botham as an "habitual liar", while the Englishman described his protagonist as a "nonentity". Chappell also claimed that an Australian journalist once approached Botham to find out why the former England captain was sticking to a story, which he also related in his 1995 book Don't Tell Kath, when he knew it to be false. Botham is alleged to have replied: "Because it makes me look a big man in England."

This could either be a real case of player hatred or the greatest publicity stunt ever enacted in a cricketing history. Simpe logic , every time one of these two write a book , they hurl abuses at the other , the other counteracts , a war of words erupts, lots of media attention and target achieved. :D

I love it!! This is exactly what I miss in today's cricket. Characters like Botham and Ian Chappell. Okay sure their stories are bloated on both sides but can you imagine anything but fight when a big burly Botham(not for nothing was he named Beefy) ran into Ian Chappell? The former once opened the doors of his house for TCCB chairman(Illingworth?) wearing only pads, the latter dropped his trousers and fixed his abdomen guard facing ACB chairman, a guy named Bradman! The only worrying part is the extra "spice" that seems to be thrown in with every new account of story, but for heaven sake give me characters like this and not robots that we see on field everyday. xxx

Now this I like' date=' love to read these classic brawls. So 30 years from now, will there e an article saying " What Ganguly and Kaif told Youhana " in that test or " A tale of six sixes " when freddie saw mercury[/quote']
Solve what, mate ? Who's the better fighter/boxer ? I'm with Varun. A fun read and a good laugh.
Ye, me too

When Ponting's swearing almost landed Aussies in jail Ricky Ponting has admitted that his failure as a diplomat almost landed the Australian team in jail after winning its third straight World Cup title in West Indies [Images] earlier this year. The Australian team was busy celebrating their triumph in Barbados before a local policeman asked them to vacate the ground. In his moment of elation, Ponting ended up swearing at the officer, who took offence to it and threatened to put him and his teammates behind bars. Ponting said he did not know how to react for a few stunned seconds. "As a diplomat, I'd failed miserably, and I'm fully aware I shouldn't have sworn like I did, though I do wonder why they couldn't have given us a little more time," he said recalling the incident in his new book 'Captain's Diary 2007'. The 32-year-old writes as his team was busy singing their victory anthem he noticed policeman telling them, "Righto boys, time to go, you've got to get off the ground." "Hang on. We've just won the World Cup. Can't you give us one minute?" was how Ponting retorted to the instruction but only after adding "a swear word into that request, which the police officer did not appreciate at all." The policeman obviously offended said "You cannot cuss like that in Barbados." Ponting then described the next few moments as a testimony to his failure as a diplomat. "He stepped towards me, and my teammates moved in behind me, as if a real stink was about to take place. I think they threatened to lock us up for the night, and we soon realised that we weren't going to be permitted to finish our ceremony." However, the incident did little to dampen the Australian team's spirits and they completed their anthem by the poolside of their hotel. "We went back to the dressing room, packed up our things, and returned back to the hotel, where we sang the anthem long and loudly by the pool..." ===== :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: