Malaysian airlines mystery

Number

An Update: LINK

TORONTO – An oil rig worker claimed he saw the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 crash while working off the south coast of Vietnam, according to a report. Bob Woodruff, an ABC News correspondent, obtained a copy of an email the man said he sent to his employer stating he witnessed the crash. “I believe I saw the Malaysia Airlines plane come down. The timing is right,†the man said in the email. “I tried to contact the Malaysian and Vietnam officials several days ago. But I don’t know if the message has been received.†According to Woodruff, Vietnam officials confirmed they received the email.
In the email, Michael McKay describes what he believed to be a plane burning at high altitude, about 50 to 70 km away from his location. McKay said while he “observed the burning (plane), it appeared to be in one piece.†The oil rig worker provided GPS coordinates of his location and an approximate location where he saw the plane. “From when I first saw the burning (plane) until the flames went out (still at high altitude) was 10 to 15 seconds,†he wrote. “There was no lateral movement, so it was either coming toward our location, stationary (falling) or going away from our location.â€
A burning plane sighted near the south coast of Vietnam - Terrorism angle could come in to play too

cud it be that the pilot pressed a switch/button intending to switch over to the vietnam side, which resulted in some fuse exploding and knocking out all electicity on the plane or something? :sherlock: (I know am just adding to the conspiracy theories flyin around)
What button? Plane entered Vietnamese airspace and they will guided by Vietnam radio.

WoW!..... Finally some news... shud be checked out ASAP at day break
I think claims of people witnessing a plane falling down have been there from day one. I am pretty sure that area of the sea, between Malaysia and vietnam , was the first one to be searched and nothing came out. I don't know how authentic and how different are these new claims are.

_73522823_china_malaysia_plane5_624.jpg Based on the latest info^: The new possible sighting (50-70 kms away from the rig) appears to be outside the original search area
Well that place is minimum an hour away from the last known and confirmed location of plane. If that person claims to be seeing plane falling before 2 40 PM, then of course that's not possible. If indeed that is true, I wonder why plane was flying that long (minimum an hour) without sending any information.

Well that place is minimum an hour away from the last known and confirmed location of plane. If that person claims to be seeing plane falling before 2 40 PM' date=' then of course that's not possible. If indeed that is true, I wonder why plane was flying that long (minimum an hour) without sending any information.[/quote'] Some good questions, however since the plane was burning, I would assume that the communication system were down Actually, the plane was last since at around 1 40 near Kota B. There was a blip on military's radar at 2 40 but on the opposite side, i.e. Malacca The plane lost communications at around 1 40, assuming that something happened around that time and to be actually fly while on fire for a considerable length of time is a very scary scenarios for the people on the plane

Malaysia-CIA_WFB_Map.png Based on the info available, below is one of the scenarios: ^ I looked at the list of airports in Malaysia. Both Kota Baharu (Gulf of Thailand) and George Town (Strait of Malacca) have airports. The plane was last seen (on radar) near Kota Baharu. There were reports of some fishermen sighting airplane lights in that area as well. If the plane was in trouble, it would make sense for the pilot to turn to Kota Baharu (which was relatively closer than either KL or Saigon from the plane's location). To land, the plane may need to communicate with the airport (Kota Baharu in this case), but it appears as if the communication system on the plane were malfunctioning (probably explain why it was hard to track the plane). The pilot may have been trying to fix that. To gain time to fix the problem, may be they headed to George Town (which is little farther from Kota Baharu). By the time, the plane reached George Town, its communication system were still down (as no contact made to the airport). To gain more time, the plane than probably headed farther in to the Straight. May be there was a plan to pull of an emergency landing like the one on Hudson, if required. Or just hover around till the system was fixed .... May be the crew did go for an emergency landing (situation deteriorating on the plane) or the disaster stuck sooner than expected by the crew. If the plane went right in to the ocean, it explains why it is hard to find debris .... If this is the case, hats-off to the crew for fighting it out under circumstances where everything that could go wrong, probably went wrong In the meantime: The time is running out - the black box stays active for 30 days A company has crowdsourced the search, so those of you who are interested in helping out can get more information HERE Preparing for the worst, but hoping for some cheerful news to come in
I discussed this theory with an aviator. His view is if the plane was fine and had to just buy time, it can just circle in non traffic zones once they are near any airport. Wont need to go from airport to airport.

That crowdsource link not working for me... trying since many hours... tomnod..
it did work for me but I am finding that exercise worthless unless it is co-orindated well by splitting maps to view for each country... for instance - website visitors from USA will only view maps from eastern coast from uk will only views maps from western coast. This will increase coverage. off course my other issue is of the visibility on such a map

I discussed this theory with an aviator. His view is if the plane was fine and had to just buy time' date=' it can just circle in non traffic zones once they are near any airport. Wont need to go from airport to airport.[/quote'] True that can be done too. But there is nothing wrong with flying to a nearby airport (probably bigger or more equipped) as well. The plane is still in the air (not parked) using fuel and trying to get its system in order, whether circling around an airport or flying to a near by one

My assumption is that it is very hard to land w/o proper communications with the ATC. An emergency landing could cost more lives (not just on the plane). Imagine another plane either trying to land or take off as well .... In this case, a relevant question to ask probably is why not use cellphone to communicate the situation. Probably the plane was flying low enough to get the cell phone reception Another decision for the crew to make would have been emergency landing on land vs. sea. Here is a link on water landing, and it has been pulled off successfully on many occasions There are no perfect answers, which is why this is such a mystery - No plane has ever been lost for so long
also point to note - there are emergency landing airports which do not require communication from ATC. these are specifically designed for situations like these. One of them is Trang airport in Thailand. It could have gone there. however there is a possibility of confusion here. The flights go by VOR code it seems for change of path. two emergency aiports in the region have the same VOR code. TRN. One of them is Trang in thailnd and one in Malaysia. The pilot may have got confused and gone to the Thailand one...and it did not have that much time...that could also explain the deviation and sudden change in path. So much speculation~~

also point to note - there are emergency landing airports which do not require communication from ATC. these are specifically designed for situations like these.
That is something new I learned - planes can land w/o communications in place. Thanks for the info! Note another sighting has been reported Link

Yeah, it is hard to imagine the pressure the crew must have been in under these circumstances What is also baffling is how things started to happen preciously during the period when ATC in Malaysia signed off, and those in Vietnam were expected to take over
That is the biggest co incidence which is making even aviators think it might have been planned The timing of losing the plane is exactly at moving out of malaysian air space to vietnamese air space. I call it the blank zone. Though Vietnam has been very clear it never entered their air space and they are the ones saying plane took a U turn

That is something new I learned - planes can land w/o communications in place. Thanks for the info! Note another sighting has been reported Link
At emergency landing airports only...it seems..not of course at the main ones I am also learning as I type, talking to my friends from this industry. Still taking this with a pinch of salt you see. Everybody is coming out with new theories and each one of them is hoping they are right. So I don't trust anyone blindly.

Isnt this the same one as 10th March debris shot by a passenger plane from Cathay. I still fail to understand why that debris was not found and ruled out
You are right. Let's add this here. Debris reported by Cathay: fo0311_mh370_c_2_jr1.jpg Burning plane sighted from an oil rig: _73522823_china_malaysia_plane5_624.jpg

Hypoxia would explain why the pilot did not communicate' date=' but not why the plane vanished from radar or stopped sending signals (communication system failure)[/quote'] The radar part is also a big mystery. An unidentified aircraft flying object traveling west toward Malacca should have caught the attention of the military immediately rather than realizing that 4 days later. One thing is for sure, a lot of known information is purposefully not given out in public atm, and then many incorrect information is being circulated.

That is the biggest co incidence which is making even aviators think it might have been planned The timing of losing the plane is exactly at moving out of malaysian air space to vietnamese air space. I call it the blank zone. Though Vietnam has been very clear it never entered their air space and they are the ones saying plane took a U turn
Vietnam is also causing a lot of confusion or sending mixed signals: * Debris reported by Cathay was investigated by Vietnam and passed off as inconsequential * The email sent by the oil rig worker on sighting plane near south coast of Vietnam only came to light now. I guess, they would have received the email a little earlier * Vietnam, if I am not wrong, called off the search but resumed again * From what you said, it is Vietnam saying that the plane took a u-turn :hmmm: