****Maharashtra Assembly Elections 2014 Thread***

G_B_

Modi's claim that until he is in Delhi, nobody can divide Maharashtra completely contradicts his own party's stand on the statehood for Vidarbha. BJP is the only major party that has supported statehood for Vidarbha and even included it in their election manifesto. I think they were going to hide under the fact that their erstwhile ally Shiv Sena was opposed to dividing Maharashtra and use that as an excuse not to grant Vidarbha statehood. Now, without the Sena, if they are saying that they do not advocate dividing Maharashtra, then it seems it was just a political ploy to garner votes. Dividing states that have strong regional language influence is extremely difficult in terms of opposition encountered for such decisions. Just look at the case of Telangana. It is much easier to divide states that have mostly Hindi speakers because there in not much of a sense of cultural belonging.

Based on the speeches of Modi the feedback is that BJP is going to do well in maha. 40,000 in Nashik braved the rain and mud to hear him speak. Modi magic might just do it for the bjp in maha. Will be surprised if they dont become the largest party in the state based on the elections.

And based on the vote share in that poll the NCP is litrally collapsing. This might just be the end of the local outfits in maharashtra. Both national parties doing well than their local allies. Merging is the only solution for the Thakarey brothers. Otherwise they will simply disappear long term.

^ based on this the BJP have the option of the NCP, MNS+independents, Sena They will prefer the sena but i think if things dont work out when MNS+independents will the second choice.
Cvoter are coming up with their second opinion poll on 11th. it should give a better picture. Most probably BJP would go in with Sena, if they dont get a complete majority. I dont think MNS is going to win more than 13 seats which they won last time.

you have to hand it to the congress gets smashed in the lok sabha but still able to poll more than the sena and the ncp. Tells you about their residual strength in maha and the spread of their party. I think they will rebuild with Ashok Chavan. They do have the leaders in the state.

Cvoter are coming up with their second opinion poll on 11th. it should give a better picture. Most probably BJP would go in with Sena' date=' if they dont get a complete majority. I dont think MNS is going to win more than 13 seats which they won last time.[/quote'] i think max the sena can hope for is if the congress do well (70 seats) and they themselves get about 60 seats. In which case the sena becomes a sort of kingmaker the state. If you look at the BMC the sena can ask for congress support in the BMC and give the congress support in the assembly. Dont rule out the sena and mns supporting the congress just to teach a lesson to the bjp. So if i were the bjp i would concentrate on getting a full majority.

Mumbai: MNS chief Raj Thackeray on Thursday confirmed to ABP Majha that Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray had telephoned him after splitting ties with BJP. ABP News had first reported that both cousins had a conversation on October 26, although it was not clear what had been discussed. Since the mega-split, Raj has constantly criticized the BJP for ending its 25-year-old Shiv Sena alliance. In an interview with ABP Majha (Marathi news channel) said that he anticipated the break-up of two old allies and questioned Uddhav as to why he didn’t understand the undercurrent despite being at the forefront.
http://www.abplive.in/incoming/2014/10/09/article416679.ece/Raj-Thackeray-gives-details-of-telephonic-conversation-with-Uddhav-after-BJP-Sena-split#.VDZmvkpX-uY Looks like the Thakareys will either merge or form a post poll alliance. Will be interesting to see if Raj does support the BJP if they fail to get a majority. If Uddhav is wise he will merge and give Raj the space he deserves.

IBNLokmat reporting that Vijaysingh Erande (BJP) campaign vehicle caught with 20.48L INR
As expected selective reporting from DM. Nothing about Ajit Pawar ? http://www.hindustantimes.com/specials/coverage/assembly-elections-2014/assemblyelections2014-maharashtra/police-seize-bags-with-rs4-85-lakh-cash-ajit-pawar-s-clothes-from-his-convoy/sp-article10-1273229.aspx

NEW DELHI: A survey carried out in Maharashtra ahead of the October 15 Assembly elections has given BJP and allies 154 of the 288 seats, but Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray tops the popularity chart as chief ministerial candidate. Incumbent Prithviraj Chavan is the second choice for chief minister though his party Congress is predicted to get an abysmally low 25 seats. Percentage wise, BJP has been placed way ahead of its rivals by 36.50 per cent votes followed by 17.10 per cent of Shiv Sena and 11.97 per cent of Congress. The survey conducted by 'The Week' and Hansa Research, paints a gloomy picture for Sharad Pawar's NCP, which is projected to get only 17 seats and 5.85 per cent votes. Pawar is the fifth choice for the chief minister's post and stands behind MNS leader Raj Thackeray and BJP's Devendra Fadnavis. Shiv Sena is predicted to be the second largest party after BJP with 47 seats, while Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, according to the survey, is likely to get 10 seats. MNS is predicted to get 5.11 per cent votes. The survey has given 20 seats to Independents with 4.71 per cent votes and 15 to other parties with 6.79 per cent votes. After 15 years of running coalition government in Maharashtra, Congress and NCP have parted ways and BJP-Shiv Sena's old alliance has also fallen apart paving the way for a five-cornered contest, with MNS being the fifth player which has recently made noises favourable to Shiv Sena. BJP is going to polls with smaller "Mahayuti" allies. It has worked out a seat-sharing deal with Mahadeo Jankar's Rashtriya Samaj Paksha, Raju Shetty's Swabhimani Shetkari Paksha, Shiv Sangram and RPI.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Survey-Gives-BJP-Allies-154-Seats-in-Maharashtra/2014/10/09/article2469639.ece

this is starting to look like the lok sabha elections. a modi blitz and the scales are tipping heavily towards the bjp
i didn't expect it to be this much. if modi can maintain this much popularity without having brought in any substantial policy changes, imagine what will happen after GST and all other important bills are passed. if he manages to get dawood (hopefully) the guy will be a demigod in india

i didn't expect it to be this much. if modi can maintain this much popularity without having brought in any substantial policy changes' date=' imagine what will happen after GST and all other important bills are passed. if he manages to get dawood (hopefully) the guy will be a demigod in india[/quote'] people have a fickle memory. its been 6 months so if modi does not deliver change he wont be able to pull this off. The sena, mns , ncp and congress will just have to grin and bear it. Its critical what the BJP do after they are elected. Its becoming painfully clear that the bjp will emerge at the largest party. The thakarey brothers will have to consolidate by coming together. The NCP and congress too, i think both need to sit down and decide if they want to be together.