****Maharashtra Assembly Elections 2014 Thread***

G_B_

I dont think anybody is projecting anybody. The truth is even if Gopinath Munde was alive the BJP would not project anybody. Gopinath Munde himself would not want to be projected because he used the Sena as a tool to ward of the Gadkari faction within Maharashtra BJP. Why piss off your support base? Just negotiate a better seat deal and odds are you will be CM. As things stand i think in the sena-bjp Uddhav Thackrey stands as the tallest leader with Gadkari now in central politics. If the BJP emerge as the largest party Eknath Khadse might get the nod based on his seniority within the party. Neither Tawde nor Phadnavis have the experience. The NCP congress too the tallest leaders is Ajit Pawar from the NCP. The congress appear to be sticking by PC. But after the death of Vilasrao Deshmukh and Ashok Chavan having legal troubles they dont have anybody. Narayan Rane was not the force he once was. I think a decade ago he could command about 20-25 mlas. Today he can barely command 10.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/maharashtra-assembly-elections-congress-ncp-leaders-join-shiv-sena-bjp-in-big-numbers/articleshow/40223216.cms looks like many rats deserting a sinking ship.... Having said that with the grand alliance (mahayuti) still to declare their seat sharing plans there could be defections the other way as well.

Maharashtra gov resigns.. looks like NDA wants friendly govs post elections...Any possibility of hung assembly in Mah?
Nah. His term was till 2017 so obviously they didn't want a Congress leader as the Gov for such a long time. Yesterday he was transferred to Mizoram so today he resigned.

BJP, Sena may set aside 18 Assembly seats for smaller allies

Even as the seat-sharing talks within the saffron alliance for the upcoming Assembly polls are under way, the formula proposed by the BJP is that it should get 135 of the total 288 seats while the ally Shiv Sena can retain 153 seats, with each of them setting aside nine each from their quota for the smaller allies like Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana, Republican Party of India, Rashtriya Samaja Party and the Shiv Sangram. In 2009, the Sena had contested 169 seats and BJP 119. The BJP is arguing for more seats on the ground that it has emerged stronger than the Sena after the Lok Sabha polls held this year. The party also wants more seats to accommodate its three allies – SSS, RSP and Shiv Sangram. The BJP has urged the Sena to accommodate the concerns of RPI as it has already sacrificed a Rajya Sabha seat in the past for RPI chief Ramdas Athawale. If both the big allies give up nine seats each for SSS, RPI, RSP and the SS, the tally works to 144 seats for the Shiv Sena and 126 for the BJP. However, the Shiv Sena is said to be unwilling to set aside nine seats for allies and is bargaining hard. Although these smaller pre-poll allies cannot win many seats by themselves, they play a decisive role in the poll outcome. While RPI has sway in Mumbai and parts of Marathwada, SSS of Raju Shetty and Rashtriya Sanaj Party will make a difference in western Maharashtra. The Shiv Sangram enjoys considerable goodwill amongst Marathas in Marathwada. According to RPI leader Arjun Dangle, “Our party would like Sena and BJP to treat us with dignity. We will not hold the grand alliance hostage because of numbers. But our party’s larger concern should be considered.” RPI wants BJP to assure them that they would make Athawale a minister in the Narendra Modi government. Officially, state BJP president Devendra Fadnavis maintained, “Whatever emerges will be extremely reasonable. The idea is to keep the grand alliance intact.” “We are not in the game of big or small brother. Our priority is to dislodge the Congress-NCP government,” he said. Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council Vinod Tawde said, “The BJP is willing to accommodate concerns of all allies.” Senior Sena leader Diwakar Raote, however, said, “The Sena has always contested more seats and that cannot be altered.” A formal decision on the seat-sharing is likely to be taken by this month-end. There is a possibility of a meeting between BJP president Amit Shah and Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray. Magic number is nine Total seats: 288 Shiv Sena: 153 (1+5+3=9) BJP: 135 (1+3+5=9) SSS/RPI/RSP/SS 18 (1+8=9)
http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/bjp-sena-may-set-aside-18-assembly-seats-for-smaller-allies/] may not be enough. RPI especially needs more seats. I would go for 145 sena 115 BJP others 28. I also think the BJP needs to let Uddhav Thakarey become CM. The truth is the BJP have no leader capable of running the party internally. In return for Udhav becoming CM they should take revenue and home and industries minister for Tawde, Phadnavis and Khadse. They make one of these three CM's the party will be gripped with infighting. Better they regroup after the death of munde.

BJP' date= Sena may set aside 18 Assembly seats for smaller allies http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/bjp-sena-may-set-aside-18-assembly-seats-for-smaller-allies/] may not be enough. RPI especially needs more seats. I would go for 145 sena 115 BJP others 28. I also think the BJP needs to let Uddhav Thakarey become CM. The truth is the BJP have no leader capable of running the party internally. In return for Udhav becoming CM they should take revenue and home and industries minister for Tawde, Phadnavis and Khadse. They make one of these three CM's the party will be gripped with infighting. Better they regroup after the death of munde.
Completely agree. I have been saying for a long time that now that Munde is not there, BJP has no leader for the CM post. Uddhav is the right person for it and I think he will be the CM. BTW Raj Thakerey again chickened out and is not going to contest. I guess he sees a big defeat coming up for MNS?

Completely agree. I have been saying for a long time that now that Munde is not there, BJP has no leader for the CM post. Uddhav is the right person for it and I think he will be the CM. BTW Raj Thakerey again chickened out and is not going to contest. I guess he sees a big defeat coming up for MNS?
More than chickening out he will be able to campaign more freely in nashik and mumbai regions where the mns has a chance. It was always a bit stupid to project him as a CM candidate considering his party would never be strong enough this election cycle. The rumours of Udhav Thakarey contesting from Thane city keep growing. Sitting MLA Vichare has become an MP. Not even the MNS can dent the sena there. The move of contesting elections was always about taking his cousin head on.

Congress, NCP prepare to contest polls separately

Mumbai: Notwithstanding a meeting between Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) president Sharad Pawar and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, it appears that both parties are preparing to contest the assembly polls separately, as no agreement has been reached yet on seat-sharing. Congress general secretary Sachin Sawant said in view of the 15-year-old alliance with the NCP, it was assumed that it would hold interviews as per the understanding in 2009. "We had contested 174 seats against 114 by NCP in 2009. We were expecting the NCP to conduct interviews for 114 seats, but we have been told that it conducted interviews for all 288 seats,'' Sawant said. He said the situation arising out of the NCP's unilateral decision had been brought to the high command's notice. "We have conducted interviews for 174 seats. If the high command permits, we too will do so for all 288 seats,'' Sawant said. Pawar, accompanied by senior party leader Praful Patel, had met Gandhi and her political advisor, Ahmed Patel, on August 6. Pawar had then said that the Congress and NCP would contest together. Subsequently, Pawar and Praful met A K Antony and Ahmed, but no decision was taken. Pawar and Praful had told Antony that in view of the changed situation, the 2009 agreement had no relevance and that the NCP was keen on contesting 144 seats. Antony and Ahmed were non-committal and it was decided to meet again. A senior Congress leader said Antony and Ahmed had rejected the proposal, saying it would not be possible to accept the 50:50 formula, and instead suggested a 168:120 formula. "The NCP has adopted pressure tactics. Its formula is unacceptable. If no agreement is reached, the NCP is free to contest independently,'' he said. Ever since the Cong-NCP front's trouncing in the Lok Sabha polls, the latter has been insisting on contesting 144 seats or a termination of the alliance. Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan had said they will not succumb to pressure.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City/Mumbai/Congress-NCP-prepare-to-contest-polls-separately/articleshow/40939024.cms While i expect them to contest together, there is a growing chorus in the NCP to contest alone. Sit out for 5 years and teach the congress a lesson. There is a feeling in the NCP that we need to sit out for 5 years its ok. Ajit Pawar's faction wants this. They see these 5 years as a means to push out Sharad Pawar and firmly establish themselves. If the NCP-Congress dont contest together, it might push the BJP to contest alone as well and come together with the sena post elections.

Maharashtra gov resigns.. looks like NDA wants friendly govs post elections...Any possibility of hung assembly in Mah?
Its a two alliance shoot-out with not much of a third alternative (perhaps MNS). But even if both alliances can't get a majority, I think MNS is highly likely to support BJP-SS.

Congress' date= NCP prepare to contest polls separately http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City/Mumbai/Congress-NCP-prepare-to-contest-polls-separately/articleshow/40939024.cms While i expect them to contest together, there is a growing chorus in the NCP to contest alone. Sit out for 5 years and teach the congress a lesson. There is a feeling in the NCP that we need to sit out for 5 years its ok. Ajit Pawar's faction wants this. They see these 5 years as a means to push out Sharad Pawar and firmly establish themselves. If the NCP-Congress dont contest together, it might push the BJP to contest alone as well and come together with the sena post elections.
Actually, if Congress-NCP contest separately, there is a likelihood that BJP may want to contest separately too. They are anyways challenging the 20+ year old seat sharing agreement, which they say does not reflect ground reality today.

yup politically it makes sense to contest the polls alone if the congress ncp go their own ways. Problem with that appraoch is that if the congress ncp decide to break up barely a month to election time. Are you going to do the same and piss off a long term partner who you know you probably need post governent? Even at the centre the sena has 22 members of parliament both houses included and are the largest BJP ally. Even Modi needs the sena if he going to get bills through a joint session. Especially those tricky bills which will no doubt be blocked in the rajya sabha as the bjp dont have the numbers there.

its a good thing its a wednesday. Middle classes will be more inclined to vote and i am sure the sena and bjp have done their homework and ensured as many people are registered as possible. Those missing names have cost the combine atleast 1-2% of voteshare in the lok sabha in the past you had dates such as Monday and Friday whereby the middle classes used to make it an extended weekend to go on holiday

Its also interesting to see that Amit shah has made Devendra Phandavis his goto guy in maharashtra. Probably means that one of Khadse or Twade will be CM if indeed the bjp become the single largest party within the mahayuti. Khadse will be favoured one.

Its also interesting to see that Amit shah has made Devendra Phandavis his goto guy in maharashtra. Probably means that one of Khadse or Twade will be CM if indeed the bjp become the single largest party within the mahayuti. Khadse will be favoured one.
Is Phadnavis not in contention?

I dont think he ever was. Look of the 3 Tawde Khdase and Phadnavis . Phadnavis is the most capable in terms of organisation and administration. However he is of the wrong caste and he is a bit too junior. Phadnavis is also the protege of the Gadkari. Push him for CM and the Munde faction which is rallying under his daughter Punkaja will also be pissed. There is also the case of Uddhav Thakarey not trusting Gadkari for his stance on Viderabha. He is not going to let Phadnavis become CM for fear of Gadkari ruling via a proxy. Never say never in politics and Amit shah has proven that in UP, but it will be a bit of a power play for Shah to give him the CM seat. Like it or not Uddhav Thakarey does have the ear of Modi as the sena have always backed Modi even during the period after the riots. He can bypass Shah and directly meet modi. Amit shah has done the right thing in making him campaign head though. Obviously with Munde around the BJP would not need Shah as they would have a man who knew the ins and outs and could keep the party in line as well as stand tall if not taller than Uddhav Thakarey. I am sure even the Sena would accept Munde as CM. But post Munde, its best to have the most capable person in charge of the winning the election. Post the victory they can make a call. If the BJP does finish second to the sena then Amit shah IMO has dodged a bullet. Would need to make some tough calls but if the call needs to be made then IMO Khadse is favorite at the moment. Sena will probably get deputy CM, and a industries and revenue. While Home will probably goto Twade with Phadvanis taking charge of party machinery on a full time basis.

India TV-C-Voter poll tracker

In Maharashtra, the grand alliance comprising the BJP, Shiv Sena, RPI(Athawale), Swabhimani Paksha and Rashtriya Samaj Paksha is projected to win 206 seats in the assembly, which is roughly 72 per cent of the total of 288 seats. The Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) alliance, which is currently in power in the state, is projected to win just 59 seats, down from 144 in 2009, while the others 23. The NDA won 90 seats in 2009. The victory will mean the return of the saffron alliance to power in the state after 15 years. The voteshare projected in Maharashtra is: NDA 45 per cent, Congress-NCP 34 per cent, others 21 per cent.
Read more at: http://news.oneindia.in/new-delhi/india-tv-c-voter-poll-tracker-bjp-may-win-in-maharashtra-fall-short-in-haryana-1520880.html