Tendulkar turns down captaincy

beetle

Problem with Tendulkar was that he was never able to convince his team-mates to put up hard work like him... Tendulkar as a captain, could have done what rahul did recently...winning test series in WI.. He was 30 odd runs close....to make history as captain..and that too against formidable windies team with likes of Ambrose and Walsh in there...He did not have have Srinath and his pace attack included likes of Kuruvilla and Dodda Ganesh... He would have been first captain to win test match in SA, but rain spoiled it. If I were him, I would take up this challenge of taking captaincy one more time knowing fully well that this is much more improved team that travels well and it will be easier to lead them...I have opportunity to resurrect. The guy is really selfless and even denied that opportunity to himself. His only agenda is to play and score runs for the country at the moment.

I am sure if he had accepted the captaincy' date=' he would have been criticised for securing his place in the team. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.[/quote'] True. But it is only he who puts himself in that situation. Lets be clear about something - Sachin Tendular is the cr@ppiest leader in Indian cricket for past 2 decades or so. Here's comparison of the three bigwigs(Azhar's leadership record would be comparable to Dravid and Ganguly) Dravid in comparison with other recent Indian captains: Tests PlayedWonLostDrawnWon% Dravid 25 Tests 8 won 6 lost Ganguly 49 Tests 21 won 13 lost Tendulkar 25 Tests 4 won 9 lost One-Day Internationals Dravid 79 LOI 42 won 33lost Ganguly146 LOI 76 won 65 lost Tendulkar 73 LOI 23 won 43 lost http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2007/sep/15stats.htm Anyway you look SRT fared pretty badly. And yes he had ample chances(73 LOI and 25 Tests). It is time for him to just come clear on "No leadership ambition for me" instead of mumbling every now and then that he wants to lead, would be an honour to lead, not the right time to lead and so on. xxx
Guest HariSampath

I wonder what Sachin would have said if the current home tests had been against Zimbabwe and we were scheduled to tour Bangladesh after that ??

I am really pleased that he turned captaincy when it was pretty much presented to him on a silver platter. This is in his and our best interests. It will help him concentrate on the 10 critical tests ahead and also help us either groom Dhoni or have AK/Dada or someone else captain in the interim and help Dhoni get warmed up and cement his place by concentrating solely on his batting and keeping.

I am really pleased that he turned captaincy when it was pretty much presented to him on a silver platter. This is in his and our best interests. It will help him concentrate on the 10 critical tests ahead and also help us either groom Dhoni or have AK/Dada or someone else captain in the interim and help Dhoni get warmed up and cement his place by concentrating solely on his batting and keeping.
But that's selfish too :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Sachin will top score in all the upcoming three series against Pak, Aussies and the Saffies and India will win all the three of them. Ofcourse for that to happen , we need divine intervention in the form of surprise diarrhea attack to many of the opposition players on the morning of the match.

Guest HariSampath
But that's selfish too :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Yes , but not entirely selfish from team's point of view, as it makes sense to have him play without the "pressure" of captaincy in tests.He may still be in a better position to get a couple of crucial hundreds, especially when he has to prove he is far from retirement, and India would still gain. So, I think we can "allow" a bit of selfishness for Sachin to click in overall team interests

>Yes , but not entirely selfish from team's point of view, as it makes sense to have him play without the "pressure" of captaincy in tests.He may still be in a better position to get a couple of crucial hundreds, especially when he has to prove he is far from retirement, and India would still gain. So, I think we can "allow" a bit of selfishness for Sachin to click in overall team interests Thanks for small Mercies...My Lord

Yes ' date=' but not entirely selfish from team's point of view, as it makes sense to have him play without the "pressure" of captaincy in tests.He may still be in a better position to get a couple of crucial hundreds, especially when he has to prove he is far from retirement, and India would still gain. So, I think we can "allow" a bit of selfishness for Sachin to click in overall team interests[/quote'] Code red, your account has just been hacked into :angry_smile:
Guest HariSampath

Oooooh, that old chestnut.....I repeat I am NOT a Sachin basher, just call a spade a spade.. and hope Sachin plays for the right reasons and plays well enough to win games for India and plays ONLY as long as he is doing this

Oooooh' date=' that old chestnut.....I repeat I am NOT a Sachin basher, just call a spade a spade.. and hope Sachin plays for the right reasons and plays well enough to win games for India and plays ONLY as long as he is doing this[/quote'] seriously it gets boring now...(reason for sachin playing).. jus give it a break ..:pray: good tht ur calling a spade a spade otherwise u r having a serious eye problem..