Tendulkar turns down captaincy

beetle

Guest HariSampath

Contradicts what ?? Both say the same thing, that Sachin was offered captaincy, had all but agreed to it, then said no, and later Vengsarkar had tried to convince him. Where is the contradiction ?

I did read that post but initially chose to disregard it and overlook the ignorance evident in it, but since you keep persisting with let me explain that you seem to not care about the fact that he spent the majority of 2005 and 2006 injured. Yes his form hasnt been the best between the Lankan series in 05 and the SAF series in 06, but since then his form has been better, and anyone who actually watched the England series instead of looking at some skewed statistics will know his form was much better then. He was timing the ball much better than he was before, his placement was better, his feet movements were more assertive, and in both the 2nd test and 3rd test in the 1st innings, once he got a start and got past 40 or 50, he was a lot more attacking. However, I guess this doesnt mean much to people who would look at some meaningless stats like that and neglect the context. He is a proven performer who regardless of some skewed statistics without any context is along with Dravid our best test match batsman. To prove how skewed your stats are ... Look at the 2 people leading the stats. 1. Dinesh Kartik - he has played 4 matches - is that enough to really count towards any meaningful stat? If you feel that is then I should probably just stop arguing now because you will never get it. 2. Rahul Dravid - averaging 50 since the lankan series at the end of 05 but now , out of our top 7, Dravid is in the worst of form. Can you honestly tell me that Dravid is our in form test bat at the moment? However, why do we keep Dravid? Same reason we keep Tendulkar, because they are technically near-perfect, proven performers, who have done the job against the best teams in the world before. Tendulkar's form has gotten better as the year has gone on , and everyone knows what Dravid is capable of, and he is extremely important. The fact that you said Sachin shouldnt be dropped after the England series but should have been dropped 3 series back indicates that even you see his form has improved in the England series. Let me prove to you that I can show how stats like that can skew a players ability. In my opinion, Matthew Hayden (even though I hate the guy) is one of the best test openers of all time, however between the India series in 2004 and the 4th test in the Ashes series in 2005 ... here were his stats * 16 matches * 842 runs @ 30.07 * HS: 70 now it doesnt take a genius to figure out that he was out of form ... There were no injuries ... he was just genuinely out of form. However, Australia kept him in the side and the next game he scored 138 from 303 balls, and took 2 days to complete that innings. I can just imagine if Sachin did that people would go on for days about how his strike rate was so low, and how he batted for a draw, and how its time to bring in some aggressive people into the side. If it were up to you , you would probably have the T20 team (I will exclude Yuvraj and Dhoni from the group) as the Test team and then once the sugar wears off the real skill level will be exposed quite quickly.
Fantastic post Bharat! Great example of Hayden. How many times have we heard that had we been Australia, SRT would have been dropped? And look how the Aussie selectors backed Hayden during his lean period. Indian selectors have reposed the same faith in SRT and he has started to repay the faith with a 91 at Notts and an 82 at Oval. He needs to carry on doing this against Pak, OZ and then RSA.
Contradicts what ?? Both say the same thing, that Sachin was offered captaincy, had all but agreed to it, then said no, and later Vengsarkar had tried to convince him. Where is the contradiction ?
That Sachin had agreed to captain few days back, That Sachin won't accept captaincy because it'd hurt his future brand value and such rubbish news (opinion in case of Bobbily or whatever) which are meant for people who have no intelligence at all!
This is wat vijaykumar has written
Sachin Tendulkar had more or less agreed to take over as Test captain when it was informally offered to him last week
and this is what the other has written
his thoughts on captaincy had not really changed since the last time he led India in 1999-2000. He was not too keen and appeared very reluctant. There was no point pushing someone who was not enthusiastic about the job
mebe u dont see it..
Guest HariSampath
That Sachin had agreed to captain few days back, That Sachin won't accept captaincy because it'd hurt his future brand value and such rubbish news (opinion in case of Bobbily or whatever) which are meant for people who have no intelligence at all!
No contradiction at all. By Oct 27th all the major networks in India, NDTV, Times Tv, CNN IBN, Rediff etc had carried stories that "Tendulkar set to be test captain" . This was supposed to have been announced on Nov 8th during the Mohali ODI. The Times interview was during that time. 2 days back Sachin had backtracked, and said no. Vijaykumar who did the Sachin interview for Times, on the retirement issue had asked him pointedly about captaincy and Sachin had specifically said he cannot comment on it. After he has announced he doesn't want it, the same Vijaykumar writes that there could be many hidden reasons . Is it too much to assume the correspondent would have had off the record conversations with Sachin ?? And considering that Sachin had indeed said no later, is it not logical to think that this correspondent's writings now will be based on what he had heard from Sachin earlier ?
Guest HariSampath

New Delhi: India batsman Sachin Tendulkar is most likely to be named India's Test captain for the upcoming series against Pakistan. Even as the Indian selectors are all set to announce the Indian team for the first two One-Dayers against Pakistan later on Saturday, CNN-IBN has learnt that the selectors might opt to go for a split captaincy for Tests and One-Dayers. The selectors, who are observing emerging talents in the ongoing Challenger Series, had a very long thought about the Test captaincy, and it seems that they have decided to go for split captaincy. Sachin Tendulkar has reportedly agreed to take over the Test captaincy. He will be the captain for the next 10 Test matches — three against Pakistan, four against Australia in Australia and three against South Africa at home — until April 2008. The first Test against Pakistan begins at the Ferozshah Kotla in New Delhi on November 22. This will be the first time India go in for split captaincy. Tendulkar has also been outspoken about his intentions to phase himself out of the OneDay arena to concentrate on Test cricket, while Dhoni already has the added responsibility of wicketkeeping, besides being three-and-half years old in international cricket. Tendulkar has had a mediocre record as Test captain, leading the side 25 matches, of which India have won four and lost nine. As a batsman too, Tendulkar has scored seven centuries out of his record number of Test centuries. The star Indian batsman captained India on two previous occasions, where he first succeeded Mohammad Azharuddin in 1996 after the tour of England and a few years later he was named captain for the Pepsi Cup tri-series despite his reluctance to take up the job. Tendulkar finally relinquished captaincy after the two-Test series against South Africa in 2000. The decision of split captaincy first came about immediately after Dravid's resignation. While Dhoni was handed over the One-Day captaincy, Tendulkar was asked to take over the Test side. The The Board had assured him all the support. ********************** From the above report from CNN dated Oct 27th, it is crystal clear that Sachin had indeed accepted and had even asked for longer term of captaincy for 10 test matches till April 2008 and had also been assured of it. More contradictions between his stand on phasing out from ODIs is seen in the past few weeks. Sachin had been shouting to everyone who listens that he will first retire from ODIs before he retires from tests, and that was because at his age the strain on the body is much more ( exmple in Eng , back in India, interviews etc), but to a pointed question in the Times interview he rejects outright any thought of playing any one version lesser than other versions. Its obvious what is happening, he is playig the media , playing the masses on captaincy issues and the reasons are obvious

ur post is ridiculous.. he never said anything abt retiring frm ODIs.. its a media goofup... infact in his interview he reiterated clearly about what he said..

But recently you spoke about your body and the rigours of One-day cricket that triggered speculation about your future. What exactly did you mean? I was asked a question 'is your body the same since you started playing cricket at the age of 16' and I simply said 'no, it is obviously not the same, that it takes a little longer to recover after all these years, and matches'. That is all. You know, so many times we carry niggles; it's not only me, everybody does but you go out there and push yourself. That is a common thing. As long as I can get up in the morning and go out and give my best I won't even look in that direction.
http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=59368 and he never said he has accepted the captaincy.... everything we read all said by the media and not by his personal quuote
No contradiction at all. By Oct 27th all the major networks in India' date=' NDTV, Times Tv, CNN IBN, Rediff etc had carried stories that "Tendulkar set to be test captain" . This was supposed to have been announced on Nov 8th during the Mohali ODI. The Times interview was during that time. 2 days back Sachin had backtracked, and said no.[/quote'] So whatever the newschannels report are truths? They had also reported that Whatmore was certain to be India's coach. Isn't it? Can you see something here?
Vijaykumar who did the Sachin interview for Times, on the retirement issue had asked him pointedly about captaincy and Sachin had specifically said he cannot comment on it.
First of all, The times didn't interview him. It was The Times of India. There is huge difference between these two. Get that clear first. TNN is just a sensationalism seeking network which turns out to be false 90% of times. And In the same interview, Sachin had said that his opinion about captaincy hadn't changed at all since he relinquished it in early '00.
After he has announced he doesn't want it, the same Vijaykumar writes that there could be many hidden reasons . Is it too much to assume the correspondent would have had off the record conversations with Sachin ?? And considering that Sachin had indeed said no later, is it not logical to think that this correspondent's writings now will be based on what he had heard from Sachin earlier ?
The same Vijay Kumar is just trying to increase his paper's viewership why creating, fabricating some sensational news here by adding is opinion here. And yes, it IS TOO MUCH to assume that Sachin could have had an off-record chat with such a journalist who'd spill the beans immediately. Moreover, since you claim to know Sachin personally, I'm really amazed that you don't know that Sachin doesn't have EVEN off record chats with journos.
Guest HariSampath

PTI reports on Ontober 27th..... Tendulkar set to be Test captain PTI | October 27, 2007 | 16:12 IST Sachin Tendulkar is all set to become India's Test captain for the upcoming series against Pakistan, Australia and South Africa. Tendulkar has accepted the BCCI's request to take over the reins of the Test team after Rahul Dravid opted out of captaincy on returning from the England tour earlier this year, a top BCCI source said on Saturday. The national selectors will meet in Ahmedabad on Saturday to announce the Indian team for the first two one-day internationals�against Pakistan but will wait till November 8 before making a formal announcement on Tendulkar's appointment as Test captain. "It is the prerogative of the national selectors to announce the captain. Most probably Tendulkar's appointment would be announced only in Mohali on November 8 when the selectors meet again to choose the team for the remaining ODIs against Pakistan," the source said. The source also said selectors are pleased with Mahendra Singh Dhoni's performance as the ODI captain but did not want to put him under extra pressure by giving him the captaincy of the Test team for the high-pressure series against Pakistan, Australia and South Africa. They said Dhoni, while continuing to be the ODI captain, will be the vice-captain for the Test series. Tendulkar, who succeeded Mohammad Azharuddin in 1996 after the tour of England, had three stints as India captain during which he led the side in 25 Tests, winning four and losing nine. Tendulkar gave up the captaincy after the two-Test series against South Africa in 2000. ********************************** The point is if Sachin had not changed his mind about captaincy over several years to the extent of being stubborn enough to turn down Vengsarkar twice, why accept it almost officially on 27th Oct and turn it down in 10 days ?? This is the contradiction... NOT in Vijaykumar's writing

:haha: the top BCCI source.. strange tht a guy who knows everything about cricket and who knows all the cricketers personally has quoting this "source" as his defense.. then why wasnt it official if he had accepted the BCCI request..hy the "source thing" why BCCI was delaying this captaincy appointment..?? its quite obvious tht sachin was reluctant to accept the captaincy n BCCI was tryin to persuade him...

Guest HariSampath
So whatever the newschannels report are truths? They had also reported that Whatmore was certain to be India's coach. Isn't it? Can you see something here? First of all, The times didn't interview him. It was The Times of India. There is huge difference between these two. Get that clear first. TNN is just a sensationalism seeking network which turns out to be false 90% of times. And In the same interview, Sachin had said that his opinion about captaincy hadn't changed at all since he relinquished it in early '00. The same Vijay Kumar is just trying to increase his paper's viewership why creating, fabricating some sensational news here by adding is opinion here. And yes, it IS TOO MUCH to assume that Sachin could have had an off-record chat with such a journalist who'd spill the beans immediately. Moreover, since you claim to know Sachin personally, I'm really amazed that you don't know that Sachin doesn't have EVEN off record chats with journos.
You get your facts right now. Times Tv network is nothing but a part of the print house TOI. The very fact that Sachin had agreed to do an exclusive with Vijaykumar clearly indicates their equation. Vijaykumar had not spilled any beans at all, in fact he had done nothing except report Sachin's quotes which were simply "no comment" . Only after Sachin had said no, did Vijaykumar write his own article about whatever reasons Sachin may have had. The fact remains that almost all major media networks, not ONE , had reported on October 27th that he had accepted. I believe it. For the simple reason Sachin didn't deny the reports for 10 days, it was just a question of waiting for the board to announce it publicly, everyone knew it. By the way.... CNN-IBN reported that Sachin had declined captaincy before any other news network, it later turned out to be true ( interview to Rajdeep Sardesai). btw.... CNN-IBN's cricket expert Kris Srikkanth is very well known to both Sachin as well as me :D
Guest HariSampath

Tendulkar to NDTV middle of September .....( I saw the interview too ) Tendulkar felt one-dayers put his ageing body under the wear and tear. "ODIs put lot of pressure on your body and chances of injuries are more than Test cricket. So, probably, one-day cricket is the one I may stop playing before Test cricket," he told NDTV. After 18 years in the business, Tendulkar is enticed by the longer version of the game. "Test cricket is definitely more challenging than one-day cricket and ODI puts lot of load on your body. ******************************************* Tendulkar to Times of India ( Times Tv .... u know.... hope u have discovered they are one and same)... a few days back.. Sachin Tendulkar has dismissed speculation that he is thinking of retiring from one-day cricket or cutting down on the amount of ODIs to ensure a longer Test career. In an interview with the Times of India, the 34-year-old Tendulkar discussed a number of issues, from the challenges ahead against Pakistan and Australia to a look at his own fitness and form. On the question of quitting the one-day game, Tendulkar was emphatic he had no such plans. "I have honestly not thought about the fact that I only need to play one version of the game to play the other longer Argument closed

Guest HariSampath

By the way.....Congrats Rajeev and others , ICF is 4th on Googles search for "Tendulkar captaincy"....and just behind Rediff, Hindu and Cricinfo :yay:

You get your facts right now. Times Tv network is nothing but a part of the print house TOI.
And TOI is not The Times. The Times is a UK newspaper--I hope you know that. If not, you need to get your facts right.
The very fact that Sachin had agreed to do an exclusive with Vijaykumar clearly indicates their equation. Vijaykumar had not spilled any beans at all, in fact he had done nothing except report Sachin's quotes which were simply "no comment" . Only after Sachin had said no, did Vijaykumar write his own article about whatever reasons Sachin may have had. .
Oh, so you don't do not know that Sachin never chats informally with journalists. And here I thought that you knew him personally. Guess, whatever I believed was wrong too!:confused_smile: :P
The fact remains that almost all major media networks, not ONE , had reported on October 27th that he had accepted. I believe it. For the simple reason Sachin didn't deny the reports for 10 days, it was just a question of waiting for the board to announce it publicly, everyone knew it.
The same that I said earlier--all of them, not ONE, had also reported that Whatmore would be our coach and only official announcement was needed to do. At the same time, they had also told us few months back that Lords ODI was Sachin's last ODI. Everybody knew about it as you say. You would have believed those news too??
By the way.... CNN-IBN reported that Sachin had declined captaincy before any other news network, it later turned out to be true ( interview to Rajdeep Sardesai). btw.... CNN-IBN's cricket expert Kris Srikkanth is very well known to both Sachin as well as me :D
And it was Rajdeep who clarified that Sachin's retirement news was nothing but rumour after talking to Anjali. And this time also Rajdeep got the correct news first. So now I hope you get some idea about which journo to trust. And Sachin might be knowing Srikant well, but they don't talk over every issue.

Tom RD ke picche, Dick Gangu ke picche.... aur Hari.... Sachhu ke picche...:hysterical: Kya maharathi hai.. anyway, The whole world knows that he only speaks with 2 ppl about his cricket. His brother and a friend. Now it is anybody's guess who this friend is. From some close sources, it is heard that he also speaks with SG/RD too. Other than that, he rarely talks to his wife unless it is very major thing. How can we trust theese media folks yaar. Honestly, I dont care what others have to say about him. His face is quite readable. but still I may say... Bol Hari Bol....

BTW, Alan Border say;s this. TENDULKAR AS CAPTAIN I would like to see Tendulkar captain India again. He was a young man when he got the captaincy and I think he was immature for the job. He can do a great job if given the captaincy again. All the members respect him and that will help him a lot. I think the enormous pressure of expectations on him took its toll in his first stint as skipper. Given another chance I think he will serve India for long.