Oh Sourav, Why Ruin The Moment?...

Many of you in the UK will have seen that credit card advert. The one about the balance in the World? (For every clever thing that happens, something dumb happens to restore the balance). Well, this theory applies to Mr Ganguly by himself at times... Ganguly comes out to bat, and scores 98 off 109 balls, India's mainstay in a close win over the West Indies. This is very clever... Then to restore the balance: England have Cup chance - Ganguly By Oliver Brett _42476879_ganguly_203.jpg_42452059_england203.jpg Sourav Ganguly, who led India to the 2003 World Cup final, believes England are one of five teams with a chance of winning the World Cup this time around. Ganguly, recalled to India's one-day squad after 16 months on the sidelines, told BBC Sport there was enough talent in the England side to go all the way. He said: "They can do well in one-day cricket if they get their heads right and find a format to play the game. "I think there is enough talent in this team to do well in one-day cricket." Ganguly, who hit 98 in India's 14-run win over West Indies on Sunday, is however concerned about the personnel in the England team. He feels the absence of Marcus Trescothick could hurt the team and says Usman Afzaal, not even named in England's initial squad of 30, should be playing. "I played with Usman at Northampton last year and he looks a very talented player," said Ganguly. "I'm sure if he gets an opportunity for England he will do well for the country. "I feel he's got a lot of ability. He can he it the ball, he's a clean striker of the ball and can be a strength to English cricket." Afzaal, 29, played in three Tests in the Ashes series of 2001 but has not featured in a one-day international. He hit 319 runs at an average of 63.8 in the Pro40 League in 2006. But even without him and Trescothick, Ganguly says England fans should have reason to cheer. "Kevin Pietersen is obviously a talented player, so is Ian Bell, and of course Andrew Flintoff. "It all depends how England play. It's very difficult to predict how teams will play in World Cups but they have a good side." Ganguly says Australia, South Africa, his own team India and Pakistan are the other teams capable of winning the tournament. England, like India, struggled in one-day internationals for much of 2006. A makeshift England have lost both their matches against Australia in the ongoing CB Series, but have scored a win against New Zealand.

Re: Oh Sourav, Why Ruin The Moment?... my view is similar to Gangs wrt England's chances.... they look so much like the sleeping devil, as india was in 83.... Jimmy, Freddie, Harmie, Sajid(if he maintains control) are one of the top 3 pace bowling attacks.... and Freddie/KP/Collingwood combo make them one of the top 3 finishers in the ODI format..... it is jus a question of everything falling together.... they can be very dangerous, if it does...

Re: Oh Sourav, Why Ruin The Moment?... even if harmi is out of form or doesnt play.... jon lewis will be a handful on carib pitches... tht guy is an excellent line'n length bowler and perfect for odis with nice away swingers..... recently, he had aussies on the mat too.... he has an economy of 4 or something... in current day cricket, where do u see tht kinda rate? my bet is, england's bowling attack will be formidable in the WC...

Re: Oh Sourav, Why Ruin The Moment?... Unfortunately the team on paper that looks strong may not really turn out that way when on field. We have an excellent example of that with this Indian team. England similarly may look good on papers what with couple of world class all rounders, few decent batters and a decent looking bowling attack. That said I can't quite remember when they last did well in a ODI series???

Re: Oh Sourav, Why Ruin The Moment?... world cups have been notorious for catapulting underdogs who have not been impressive until then, to the semi-finals...... from then, it is anyone's game.... india 2003 was not great performing until then... nz in 92... who woulda believed SL in 1996....