Kaththi

Mariyam

dude, we are talking about present tense... vedam came about 5 years back and is probably the only exception to the rule.. the rest are all.. poor Mahesh babu tried to raise the standard by committing himself to the stunning 1-nennokodine.. but its fate :((
Telugu people currently have a formula. Put commercial elements,Have some good comedy,marketable hero,decent music and a hot heroine-Minimum guarantee. There was a movie called Mithunam recently very classy and there was a market for that too. At the end of the day Cinema is a business more than art.When every thing you do is either a minimum guarantee with the upside being massive profits why wouldn't you do that-Simple logic

So you do agree you gotta have both. Telugu usually don't, and that's where the issue lies. Few of the camera angles even in Telugu are as absurd as any. But that's not just in Telugu, its all over in most commercial flicks nowadays which is annoying as ****.
What you wrote is true for all Industries most of the time so I have nothing to add

As to malayalam movies, I suggest : 1. Pranayam - Mohanlal plays a wheelchair bound 70 yr old in the whole movie, with an unexpected sad climax. movie was a hit 2. Mumbai Police - Hot n happening young superstar Prithviraj played a character which seldom superstars would agree to (I can't say the details since anything would spoil the whole movie) - again with a shocking and unexpected climax. Movie is a hit. 3. Traffic - An ensemble cast with no big names, 3-4 parallel storylines brought together by an accident and how then it completely transforms into a thriller of a rollercoaster ride. Went on to become a superhit. 4. Munnariyipp - mammotty played a character his age, who has been incarcerated for 20 years in jail, for two murders which he still vehemently denies. A young woman journalist meets him, and realizes this guy is a born genius and lobbies for his release, but when he comes out he realizes the world is no longer the same as he left, the climax again is shocking, unexpected. Movie gave new lease of life to mammotty after a string of flops.

Telugu people currently have a formula. Put commercial elements,Have some good comedy,marketable hero,decent music and a hot heroine-Minimum guarantee. There was a movie called Mithunam recently very classy and there was a market for that too. At the end of the day Cinema is a business more than art.When every thing you do is either a minimum guarantee with the upside being massive profits why wouldn't you do that-Simple logic
same what is happening with hindi movies as well. the formula is ridiculously safe, get a big namer, get some big namers along with him, do one item song, copy some movie from south, spend more time on marketing of it than actual movie, release it in a gazillion screens and close the deal out in 2 weeks

post edited to look sane. somehow the latter part didn't come!
It is OK...:hysterical: is a short form for what we feel so I guess saying "I hereby declare that I am rolling on the floor laughing at the post" is a bit too much and :hysterical: is easy :two_thumbs_up: P.S - I like Mohanlal and Mammootty so don't think I have anything against Mallus...I had a Mallu room mate in UK for 4 years :two_thumbs_up:

Personally I can't stand recent Tamil and Hindi movies...no story' date=' stone acting and not even a comedy angle...to each his own :two_thumbs_up:[/quote'] I am not sure which movies u r referring to but check movies like Pizza / Sudu Kavvum / Jigirdanda / Moodar Koodam .Most are comedy movies as well The new generation of directors have brought very different approach to entertainment movie genre in Tamil cinema

same what is happening with hindi movies as well. the formula is ridiculously safe, get a big namer, get some big namers along with him, do one item song, copy some movie from south, spend more time on marketing of it than actual movie, release it in a gazillion screens and close the deal out in 2 weeks
It happens in Hollywood too.People go ga ga about interstellar or inception but look at the main stars of both those movies a list superstars,big name director and a huge marketing campaign....Do you think they studios would greenlight such concepts with lesser star cast. There are some good movies that go direct to DVD because of lack of Star power. SImple any business the formula is to squeeze every inch of profit before you move on...you don't move away from anything that makes you money. Telugu film industry is the most profitable and probably as rich or maybe 2nd to Bollywood for a reason. I will admit this,From what I have seen and heard,Tamil and Mallu people make better movies from an art perspective (they might have their out and out commercial cinema too how else will they survive) but there is a reason Telugu film industry makes way more money. I am not gloating about this,I would love to see some great movies but it is just the way it is at the moment.

I am not sure which movies u r referring to but check movies like Pizza / Sudu Kavvum / Jigirdanda / Moodar Koodam .Most are comedy movies as well The new generation of directors have brought very different approach to entertainment movie genre in Tamil cinema
I saw Pizza(dubbed version),it is a very good movie but calling it a non-commercial movie is a joke...it was an out and out entertainer.

I am not sure which movies u r referring to but check movies like Pizza / Sudu Kavvum / Jigirdanda / Moodar Koodam .Most are comedy movies as well The new generation of directors have brought very different approach to entertainment movie genre in Tamil cinema
Thanks...will try to see atleast a few from the list..

I saw Pizza(dubbed version)' date='it is a very good movie but calling it a non-commercial movie is a joke...it was an out and out entertainer.[/quote'] Where did I say Pizza isn't commercial movie ? I was saying these are commercial movies with very different approach/screen play .Not your tymical masala formula

It happens in Hollywood too.People go ga ga about interstellar or inception but look at the main stars of both those movies a list superstars,big name director and a huge marketing campaign....Do you think they studios would greenlight such concepts with lesser star cast. There are some good movies that go direct to DVD because of lack of Star power. SImple any business the formula is to squeeze every inch of profit before you move on...you don't move away from anything that makes you money. Telugu film industry is the most profitable and probably as rich or maybe 2nd to Bollywood for a reason. I will admit this,From what I have seen and heard,Tamil and Mallu people make better movies from an art perspective (they might have their out and out commercial cinema too how else will they survive) but there is a reason Telugu film industry makes way more money. I am not gloating about this,I would love to see some great movies but it is just the way it is at the moment.
Those huge stars are not just their for their stardom like here, they have skills to back it up. Seriously! MathewMC was terrific in Interstellar and Inception had the likes of DiCaprio, another example of great actor. Nolan's batman series had Caine, Bale, Freeman, Neeson, Oldman- some of them might be stars but they are also casted for their terrific skills. Not just stardom like in Bolly or Telugu

Those huge stars are not just their for their stardom like here' date=' they have skills to back it up. Seriously! MathewMC was terrific in Interstellar and Inception had the likes of DiCaprio, another example of great actor. Nolan's batman series had Caine, Bale, Freeman, Neeson, Oldman- some of them might be stars but they are also casted for their terrific skills. [b']Not just stardom like in Bolly or Telugu
Why Single out Bolly and Telugu,Happens in every Indian film industry...I already gave an example of how I saw Mamooty's langoor like son acting ahead of probably more deserving youngsters and ditto with Tamil,Kannada,Bhojupuri etc etc Also FYI as good as Mccounahey and Di Caprio are,studios are the boss in U.S.A,they wouldn't green light the project if the director had cast some unknown or commercially not so bankable star.

Why Single out Bolly and Telugu,Happens in every Indian film industry...I already gave an example of how I saw Mamooty's langoor like son acting ahead of probably more deserving youngsters and ditto with Tamil,Kannada,Bhojupuri etc etc Also FYI as good as Mccounahey and Di Caprio are,studios are the boss in U.S.A,they wouldn't green light the project if the director had cast some unknown or commercially not so bankable star.
I see you're quiet pissed to call THAT langoor like acting when almost every actor in Telugu nowadays do the same. I gave those example because we were talking about those industries. And I'm quiet aware and well read about the production factor in Hollywood where they tried very hard to dish out a new comer Al Pacino in the Godfather for Jack Nicholson. Keeping that aside, most of these so called 'stars' in Hollywood, 7/10 of them are pretty damn good actors, so it doesn't really matter why they cast them. Studios are the boss everywhere, not just in USA, unless you have a director like hot shot director casting them like Spieldber, Nolan, Scorsese etc.