What is the magic if India needs to win this Test match at Calcutta?

fineleg

Ofcourse we need to bat 1st inn well and complete it well. The ONLY way India will even have a *chance* to win this Calcutta Test is if we field well (includes catching properly and effecting reasonable run-outs) The bowlers (Indians too) will struggle on this pitch to dismiss Pak YoYo. FIELDING, CATCHING will make or break this TEST match. Bowlers need all the help they can get from fielding.

We will win this comfortably. Pakistan is like a tired heavyweight boxer into his 10th round. He is just one solid punch from a knock-out. All depends on the first session tomorrow. If we can post a 550+ total , we win, as simple as that. There is enough in this pitch for the spinners and there isnt enough in the Pak batsman, for them to put up a fight.

This is a Test to be lost and not won. For all the hungama about India having a good pace attack now, or spin for that matter, in the end the pitch turned out to be dead. India will probably end around 500, or even 600, simply because batsmen like Wasim Jaffer, VVS, Ganguly etc are not gonna throw their wicket away. All of these would use the chance to cement their position in Indian side, plus they can graft for long period. On the other hand I dont quite see how a Yasee Hameed, or a Faisal Iqbal or a Kamran or even a Butt can play out 3-4 session. Early days yet but I see India around 600 marks with Pakistan 400 and 300 in two innings, expect a high scoring win for India on last day.

This is a Test to be lost and not won. For all the hungama about India having a good pace attack now, or spin for that matter, in the end the pitch turned out to be dead. India will probably end around 500, or even 600, simply because batsmen like Wasim Jaffer, VVS, Ganguly etc are not gonna throw their wicket away. All of these would use the chance to cement their position in Indian side, plus they can graft for long period. On the other hand I dont quite see how a Yasee Hameed, or a Faisal Iqbal or a Kamran or even a Butt can play out 3-4 session. Early days yet but I see India around 600 marks with Pakistan 400 and 300 in two innings, expect a high scoring win for India on last day.
Lurker, What do you mean when you say "high scoring win"...do you mean it to be - both teams score a lot of runs, but in the end India win? Just wanted to clarify if I understood what you are trying to say.
We will win this comfortably. Pakistan is like a tired heavyweight boxer into his 10th round. He is just one solid punch from a knock-out. All depends on the first session tomorrow. If we can post a 550+ total , we win, as simple as that. There is enough in this pitch for the spinners and there isnt enough in the Pak batsman, for them to put up a fight.
MM, This is a dead pitch. Fielding will be key as we will realize when the match progresses. All bowlers are going to sweat it out, and the half chances have to be taken. Its that sort of a pitch. Once a batsman is in, he will stay in. If India complete the first inn at 550+ and we field well, then very good chance that we can win. There chamatkar - I am a believer now :D - provided 1st Inn 550+ and we field well :P
Lurker, What do you mean when you say "high scoring win"...do you mean it to be - both teams score a lot of runs, but in the end India win? Just wanted to clarify if I understood what you are trying to say.
Yep. From what I have seen of the pitch thus far I expect atleast 1200 runs in this test, unless Pakistan collapses(which they are very capable of).
omg finey i used to be a fine lover of ur legs and some of ur posts. recently u r getting more negative..............
LOL! I want India to win mouni, but I need to see them win convincingly over a period of couple of years in different tours (home and away) - they do that, i assure you i will become +ve whenever i talk abt indian team after that. :D
LOL! I want India to win mouni' date=' but I need to see them win convincingly over a period of couple of years in different tours (home and away) - they do that, i assure you i will become +ve whenever i talk abt indian team after that. :D[/quote'] damn i could have signed the deal, unfortunately aussie tour coming up. So we cant win all 4... can we.... :finger:
The pitch has NOTHING' date= ZILCH, NADA for the bowlers. Maybe Day-4 things may be different. But day-3 will give little assistance only - if any- to bowlers. So fielding is the KEY.
What game are you watching(if at all)? The pitch is crumbling quickly. Even today, mushroom clouds of dust were erupting with each delivery. FYI the Eden pitch is made from Ganga soil which has a tendency of deteriorating quicker than other types of soils.
What game are you watching(if at all)? The pitch is crumbling quickly. Even today' date=' mushroom clouds of dust were erupting with each delivery. FYI the Eden pitch is made from Ganga soil which has a[b'] tendency of deteriorating quicker than other types of soils.
I sure hope so.
FIELDING, CATCHING will make or break this TEST match. Bowlers need all the help they can get from fielding.
Munaf Grandfather Patel has proved his pathetic fielding by dropping a catch (Kamran Akmal gets a life!). He was SO SLOW to respond - very late to start moving to catch the ball. Robin Singh --> kick him.
FIELDING, CATCHING will make or break this TEST match. Bowlers need all the help they can get from fielding.
If you listened to what AK said in the match ceremony to Rameez Raja he clearly said about 3 catches dropped and said CATCHES WIN MATCHES. It was clear the emphasis in AK when he mentioned this! BUMP this thread in light of Anil Kumble's comment. Relevant thread yet again.