BBC Greatest ODI XI

bulbul

Very few Dhoni picks, I would pick him over Gilly even if Gilly was the better keeper- Dhoni is one of the best ever (maybe even THE best) coming in the lower middle order. If this is not specifically a WC XI... Jayasuriya, Tendulkar, Kallis, Lara, V Richards, ABDV, MSD c, Akram, Warne, Garner, Ambrose ...would be my team I do think Kapil is a strong contender for an ODI XI, Lara too for all the superior stats of people who cam a bit later like Ponting, Lara was just more of a genius You need a Kallis to anchor the innings can not have it packed with strokeplayers.
Dhoni a better bat than Gilly? Lol.
A few issues: 1. Kapil should be an automatic in any odi lineup. He essentially was a mcgrath type miserly bowler in odis ( better econ rate than imran, botham, marshall,etc) while being an afridi type impact player with the bat. Take out mcgrath and kallis, replace them with kapil at #7. 2. Waqar and donald were way,way better wicket taking bowlers than lee. 3. Have both murali and warne in the team. My xi: Sachin ???? Viv Lara Abdv Dhoni Kapil Wasim Warne Waqar/donald Murali I dunno who would open with sachin: gillchrist, amla,greenidge,haynes,mark waugh all make compelling cases. Based on what I saw in 92 world cup, i'd consider opening with lara and including kohli in his spot at #4. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
1 Australian in your team? :haha:
I cant think of a reason to have more than 1 maybe 2 aussies in my team. Can you ? Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
Hmm, not sure, but I'll take a wild guess, the fact they won 3 WCs in a row comes to mind, and we all know they were robbed of a 4th by a pitch that started turning sideways in the second innings. Out the 10 WCs played to date, Australia has won 4 and been runner up twice.
Hmm' date=' not sure, but I'll take a wild guess, the fact they won 3 WCs in a row comes to mind, and [b']we all know they were robbed of a 4th by a pitch that started turning sideways in the second innings. Out the 10 WCs played to date, Australia has won 4 and been runner up twice.
Which WC was that?
Hmm, not sure, but I'll take a wild guess, the fact they won 3 WCs in a row comes to mind, and we all know they were robbed of a 4th by a pitch that started turning sideways in the second innings. Out the 10 WCs played to date, Australia has won 4 and been runner up twice.
That means nothing. They won as a team, not individuals. Just coz your team won a few world cups doesnt mean each individual player is better than individuals in other teams. Lara never won a world cup, hes still better than any aussie batsman alive. The dutch have never won a soccer world cup, italians have won 3/4. Yet the top six dutch players ever are way,way better than the top six italians ever. I am sorry but except for warne and mcgrath and maybe gillchrist/mew as opening partners for sachin, no other aussie deserves to be in an atg xi for odis. And my reason for excluding mcgratj has been stated: in odis, kapil was just as good a bowler but way better bat and fielder. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
That means nothing. They won as a team, not individuals. Just coz your team won a few world cups doesnt mean each individual player is better than individuals in other teams. Lara never won a world cup, hes still better than any aussie batsman alive. The dutch have never won a soccer world cup, italians have won 3/4. Yet the top six dutch players ever are way,way better than the top six italians ever. I am sorry but except for warne and mcgrath and maybe gillchrist/mew as opening partners for sachin, no other aussie deserves to be in an atg xi for odis. And my reason for excluding mcgratj has been stated: in odis, kapil was just as good a bowler but way better bat and fielder. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
I suggest you open your other eye.
Mate' date=' you said Devs bowling was just as good as McGraths, it's time for you to go to bed and sleep it off before you embarrass yourself further.[/quote'] In odis, its just as good as mcgraths. Dev was an economical containment bowler, just like mcgrath and one of the best of his era at that role- just like mcgrath. Mcgrath is one of the highest wicket taking fast bowlers in odi, kapil held the record for most odi wickets. In odis, there is little to choose between mcgrath and kapil for effectiveness. Both of them were fast medium and not express, both had impeccable control. Where they varied, is mcgrath got more bounce than kapil, kapil got more movement. Its time noobs like you stop talking crap about what you have not seen or experienced. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
Mate' date=' you said Devs bowling was just as good as McGraths, it's time for you to go to bed and sleep it off before you embarrass yourself further.[/quote'] In odis, its just as good as mcgraths. Dev was an economical containment bowler, just like mcgrath and one of the best of his era at that role- just like mcgrath. Mcgrath is one of the highest wicket taking fast bowlers in odi, kapil held the record for most odi wickets. In odis, there is little to choose between mcgrath and kapil for effectiveness. Both of them were fast medium and not express, both had impeccable control. Where they varied, is mcgrath got more bounce than kapil, kapil got more movement. Its time noobs like you stop talking crap about what you have not seen or experienced. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
In odis, its just as good as mcgraths. Its time noobs like you stop talking crap about what you have not seen or experienced. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
Dev averaged around 27 with the ball FFS, Pigeon was low 20s. If you really want to replace McGrath why not use Hadlee? Dev wasn't fit to lick his toe jam as a bowler, and both had similar batting averages, and remember, Hadlee played on well passed his use by date hurting his averages.
Dev averaged around 27 with the ball FFS, Pigeon was low 20s. If you really want to replace McGrath why not use Hadlee? Dev wasn't fit to lick his toe jam as a bowler, and both had similar batting averages, and remember, Hadlee played on well passed his use by date hurting his averages.
Dev played way past his useby date as well and unlike hadlee, did not have friendly wickets to bowl on all his life. This is odis, you need two types of bowlers: the economical one and the one with excellent strike rate. Kapil and mcgrath are there for their containment role. Its wasim, waqar, donald who are there for their wicket taking ability. Regardless, kapil is an absolute must in any odi list, for the simple reason that he owns the #7 slot like tendulkar owns the opening slot or viv at #3. What do you require from a #7? Ability to hit 20 in 15 balls or so ? Kapil did that regularly. Ability to construct a long innings if your batsmen feck up and you find youtself walking in at 20/5 ? Kapil did that too. Excellent fielding ? Kapil was a primier outfielfer. Ability to be a fromtline bowler ? Well kapil was one of the most econical frontline bowler and he held the record for most wickets ever. What more can a #7 be asked to do ? In an alltime odi xi, 4 names are automatic. They are tendulkar for opening, viv at #3, kapil at #7 and wasim for being tje greatest odi bowler ever. Rest u can play around with. You may include mcgrath at the expense of a 2nd spinner. But he's not needed in my xi because between kapil and wasim, we have the economy locked down and the team needs an out n out wicket taker like waqar or donald Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2