I hope people are watching Ishant Sharma bowling rubbish

fineleg

Dont club Munaf with VRV & Ishant, Dhondy. Munaf is a good bowler, he's a raw talent. He is a classic example of a specimen who would benefit from a good coach. Munaf needs to be led, guided, as he himself is not intelligent to figure his bowling out. I am disappointed with the job Venkatesh Prasad has done as a coach. Munaf has pace & accuracy. He loses both after a few spells, but when he gets his radar right, he will be a very difficult bowler to negotiate. He can seam the ball from good length, as well as reverse it. I dont recall a better debut by an Indian pacer (than Munaf's vs England). We must not squander away Munaf. He has the wherewithals reqd of a good fast bowler.
Munaf is a roobish fielder with a worse proclivity of breaking down physically than Nehra. And he gets into a comfort zone too easily when selected for two consecutive tests and starts bowling at 120. Give me Nehra and Balaji anyday over him...
Dont club Munaf with VRV & Ishant, Dhondy. Munaf is a good bowler, he's a raw talent. He is a classic example of a specimen who would benefit from a good coach. Munaf needs to be led, guided, as he himself is not intelligent to figure his bowling out. I am disappointed with the job Venkatesh Prasad has done as a coach. Munaf has pace & accuracy. He loses both after a few spells, but when he gets his radar right, he will be a very difficult bowler to negotiate. He can seam the ball from good length, as well as reverse it. I dont recall a better debut by an Indian pacer (than Munaf's vs England). We must not squander away Munaf. He has the wherewithals reqd of a good fast bowler.
Bumps, have you ever tried to bowl fast, really fast? And then carry on for say, five or six overs? I have, with very little success of course, and it literally kills you. Fast bowlers are physically a breed apart. They must be capable of taking enormous punishment physically. Munaf can't. He neither has the strength, nor the heart for it. Oh, he'll bowl a couple of jaffas, maybe a good over or two, but no way can he sustain that over five days. When India select him, they are essentially getting 10% or 20% of the value they would get, say with a fella like RP Singh or Sreesanth. Quite apart from that, he is one of the clumsiest, most unintelligent cricketers I have ever seen. His fielding, batting and the vacuous, moronic grin on his face give me the shakes, to be honest.
lets be fair he is 19 playing his second game' date=' 1st at home, sharing new ball with a guy who scored 100 and over that expected to run through batting line up,give him time to settle down. Atleast wait till end of test.[/quote'] what he saidd:two_thumbs_up:
I'm sure by your logic Sanju Baba will make a great fast bowler now.
What I am saying is that India don't produce many fast bowlers that are 6"5. If he can extract some decent bounce from a good length he could really cause some problems to batsman, with the ball coming from that height. All I am saying is that this guy is a bowler for the future, and we shouldnt give up on him after a couple of bad spells. He only got this spot because 4 bowlers were out injured ... he wouldn't have got this normally. He is a potentially very good bowler, however at 19 years of age in only his 2nd season of Ranji, he is just learning his craft and developing as a pace bowler. Historically, there have been very few fast bowlers that have done very well at age 19 or younger (yes there was Waqar and Wasim). Usually once they hit their early to mid 20s that is there better form. Give this guy time and be patient.
Bumps, have you ever tried to bowl fast, really fast? And then carry on for say, five or six overs? I have, with very little success of course, and it literally kills you. Fast bowlers are physically a breed apart. They must be capable of taking enormous punishment physically. Munaf can't. He neither has the strength, nor the heart for it. Oh, he'll bowl a couple of jaffas, maybe a good over or two, but no way can he sustain that over five days. When India select him, they are essentially getting 10% or 20% of the value they would get, say with a fella like RP Singh or Sreesanth. Quite apart from that, he is one of the clumsiest, most unintelligent cricketers I have ever seen. His fielding, batting and the vacuous, moronic grin on his face give me the shakes, to be honest.
I dont disagree with your assessment of Munaf. He is mentally lazy & is a slouch on the field. He doesnt have a great work ethic. But all that's attributable to his background. He is a simpleton, comes from a small village, without any formal (coaching) foundations, to build on. I would have discarded a player like him, if we have a stream of pacemen lined up, that we can tap into. With RPS & Sreesanth injured, our bench is left with Ishant, VRV & Pathan. Doesnt that scare you ? Pathan has a great work ethic and attitude, but what can you do with him ? Can he ever be India's strike bowler on all surfaces ? Munaf has the wherewithals. This is something you cannot drill into fast bowlers. They either have it or they dont. Its just a matter of making him deliver his skills consistently & honestly. I really believe a good coach can work with him and make him better. Theres no guarantee. But even if theres a small chance, its worth a try. One thing i've learnt from Zaheer Khan's episode is that if you come across an Indian pacer who's got talent, you should never count them out. Zaheer got into his comfort zone, in Ganguly's era. He simply used to go thru the motions. He totally lacked the hunger reqd of a fast bowler. His performance waned, then. One good year out of the squad, jolted him. He went to the counties & bowled like there was no tomorrow, earned his recall & today spearheads our attack. May be theres a lesson or two there, for us.
I was quite disappointed with the pace of bowling yesterday, expected him to run in hard and bang the ball in a around 140 ks, but he in the earkly 130s. He didnt seem in rhythm yesterday, lost his run-up a couple of times and bowled quite a few no balls. It looked like he was losing his action/run-up a couple of strides before the delivery stride. His strides were getting shorter. BUT, we would do a grave injustice to ourselves if we start giving up on a promising 19 year-old after one spell. There is a reason why he is in the team and that is he is talented and can bowl well. As I have said many times before, the terms 19 year old and fast bowler dont go too well with each other.These matches will be a great learning curve for him. He is tall, hits the deck and got the most bounce of any bowler in this match so far. I am encouraged.
MM, You are talking mainly about disappointed with pace of bowling. Did you see the line he was bowling. Ball after ball after ball was wide outside off stump. Not just outside - way wide outside...it was not like he was not getting advice. Kumble went and had a chat with him, Dinesh Karthik went up twice from behind the stumps all the way to Ishant Sharma and had a chat. Pathan went and talked to him. Nothing, no do. First spell, second spell, any spell - keep it WIDE outside off stump EVEN if Kumble started to re-inforce the onside field. That mate is absolute rubbish. You can lack pace, but you cannot despite advice repeatedly bowl wide outside offstump. Not even talking about the numerous no balls here. His length was rubbish too. His pace was rubbish too. But more than everything it was the consistency wide outside off!

Finey, There is a very thin line between being a perfectionist and understand the way things work in real life. I am afraid to say, you are yet to make the transition between the two states. Seriously, what do you expect a 19 year old rookie to do in his second match ? Take a hat-trick in his first over ? Ideally, everyone would have liked Ishant to have bowled in the way you had wanted him to, but it doesnt work that way always. He is bound to have a bad spell and so is the case with others. I would strongly advise your to temper your expectations with a dose of reality. Its good to expect the best always, but things dont work the way you always want them to. Please understand that. These arent robots playing a match, for them to land the ball on a spot 6 out of 6.

o leave it.. ranadeb bose... damn it.. i m not saying he sucks.. but he is not any better then Ishant Sharma.. Ishant is good.. he is just 19.. u can't write off a 19 year old.. .. its good that he is getting to play @ the age of 19...he would come back strongly in another year or two..
Precisely. Finey's criticism of Sharma makes it seem as though she is oblivious of some fundamental facts. 1) Sharma is just 19, that is VERY early for a fast bowler 2) This is just his second match.
o leave it.. ranadeb bose... damn it.. i m not saying he sucks.. but he is not any better then Ishant Sharma.. Ishant is good.. he is just 19.. u can't write off a 19 year old.. .. its good that he is getting to play @ the age of 19...he would come back strongly in another year or two..
Tics, Ranadeb Bose has done very well in domestics. Bose can be accurate, can bowl the away swinger on good line and length. Pace is lacking - but on these sorta pitches if IS bowls 133-136 and Bose bowls 129-132 - thats not much difference on these sorta pitches. Its what you can do with the ball that is more important. Certainly Ranadeb Bose is not the best choice for International matches. BUT - definitely better than Ishant Sharma and VRV. On what basis are you saying IS is good?
Guest dada_rocks
What I am saying is that India don't produce many fast bowlers that are 6"5. If he can extract some decent bounce from a good length he could really cause some problems to batsman, with the ball coming from that height. All I am saying is that this guy is a bowler for the future, and we shouldnt give up on him after a couple of bad spells. He only got this spot because 4 bowlers were out injured ... he wouldn't have got this normally. He is a potentially very good bowler, however at 19 years of age in only his 2nd season of Ranji, he is just learning his craft and developing as a pace bowler. Historically, there have been very few fast bowlers that have done very well at age 19 or younger (yes there was Waqar and Wasim). Usually once they hit their early to mid 20s that is there better form. Give this guy time and be patient.
Good btw Wasim Waqar in reality must have been at least 22-23 when they claimed they are 18-19