Kumble delaying

Cricketics

this is absolutely lousy captaincy by Kumble..this sucks...this exactly is what the Aussies love and would be licking their lips. Kumble should have tried to win the test match, and any score of 270+ was never going to be possible here. He has just converted the last 2 tests into tame draws , bowlers never challenged and a laid back attitude pandering to certain players and their individual records...Kumble ugggh you sucked bigtime today, hope you don't do this in Aus
But according to Kumle, Timing of declaration was correct Bangalore, December 12, 2007 First Published: 21:24 IST(12/12/2007) Last Updated: 23:28 IST(12/12/2007) DropShadow_BotLeft.gifDropShadow_BotRight.gif India captain Anil Kumble on Wednesday defended the timing of declaring the second innings in the third Test against Pakistan, saying that he was happy at clinching the series 1-0. "Winning 1-0 is fine. It was important to win the series," Kumble told reporters after the draw amidst high drama as Pakistan capitulated under the leg-spinner's five-wicket burst. It was the first home series triumph for India against Pakistan after 27 years. "On this wicket the only option to get wickets was when the ball kept low, which meant that you needed 10 balls to keep low and that could happen in 40 overs or in 150 overs! I think whenever I declared was the right decision," said Kumble. Chasing 374 in 48 overs for victory, Pakistan were reduced from 44 for no loss to 162 for seven before poor light forced the match to end with 12 overs remaining. Pakistan, who had made 537 in their first innings, finished at 162 for seven. India had scored 626 and declared their second innings at 284 for six wickets. Kumble bowled unusually flat and fast and at times seam up to bag five for 60 in the second innings. "In hindsight, I probably should have bowled medium pace in the first innings. We had to get to a situation where we could absolutely ensure a series victory," he said. "And then, yes, we had a great opportunity and if the weather had stayed clear, we would have ended up winning the game. Forty-five [it was 48] overs was enough." Kumble pointed out that the pitch did not provide bounce. "The pitch was the same but there was not enough bounce, and it is hard at Test level if you have to get people out with balls that are keeping low as we had to adjust. But I thought we did well after being 61 for four on the first day," he said. "If Pakistan hadn't bounced back we would have won the series 3-0. They did bounce back in Kolkata when wickets were down and Misbah-ul-Haq and Kamran Akmal ensured they got to safety."
Guest HariSampath

Well...whatever Anil may say...btw congrats Anil...dont get me wrong.... I told you this by phone... as someone who watched the last test in Chennai in 1980 when we closed it 2-0..I was seriously hoping for 2-0 now...Anil..remember what you told me on the day you were appointed captain...you fancied all 3 games, yes you did tell me you are taking a close look at the Kotla test, and you have done it...1-0..and my hats off tp you..but as a common fan am I wrong in expecting 2-0...which is why I asked you yesterday about the declaration....to which you gave me an honest private answer...."probably I miscalculated by 30 min, but weather on first four days did not indicate this "....Anil...I can probably accept this argument 70 % of the time as u were playing for the larger cause of a series win ....and had delivered it..considering it was your first series as captain...kudos to you..pl win us one test at least...and greedily I want a series win in Aus,....try mate...u never know....congrats...and good show ..to u and all the boys

Well...whatever Anil may say...btw congrats Anil...dont get me wrong.... I told you this by phone... as someone who watched the last test in Chennai in 1980 when we closed it 2-0..I was seriously hoping for 2-0 now...Anil..remember what you told me on the day you were appointed captain...you fancied all 3 games, yes you did tell me you are taking a close look at the Kotla test, and you have done it...1-0..and my hats off tp you..but as a common fan am I wrong in expecting 2-0...which is why I asked you yesterday about the declaration....to which you gave me an honest private answer...."probably I miscalculated by 30 min, but weather on first four days did not indicate this "....Anil...I can probably accept this argument 70 % of the time as u were playing for the larger cause of a series win ....and had delivered it..considering it was your first series as captain...kudos to you..pl win us one test at least...and greedily I want a series win in Aus,....try mate...u never know....congrats...and good show ..to u and all the boys
whom u telling this to?
Guest HariSampath
whom u telling this to?
addressed from a fans viewpoint to an Indian captain whi is well known.... with congrats as well as a mild disappointment that we couldn't make it 2-0

Kumble is not being totally honest when he says he was confident that India could have bowled out Pakistan in 45 overs. There is no way he could have known what was to follow. India scored 284 @ 3.71. Two of those dismissed were out chasing quick runs, one to an umpiring brain fart, and two others got borderline decisions as well. Where were the presagings for a Pakistani collapse? In fact, Pakistan got to 144 for 3 before the wheels fell off. Isn't it ironic that the man being blamed for not making it 2-0 was also the one who brought us close to an improbable victory through his genius? At least two other world class spinners had bowled on that track without any success whatsoever. It took Kumble to realise that a change in style was required. What he, and under his instructions, part timer Yuvraj, brought on by his captain ahead of the seasoned Bhajji, achieved in those final few overs, no other cricketing brain would have dreamt of. It was nothing short of genius. The same genius that made the man trust Ganguly ahead of Munaf with the ball in the first Test, or persist with Ishant Sharma when the Pakistani tail came on in the first innings of the final Test. Kumble couldn't have forseen what was to come, because Kumble is a modest man. He has no inkling of his own greatness.

Doc, I think what you have stated is very true: "took Kumble to realise that a change in style was required. What he, and under his instructions, part timer Yuvraj, brought on by his captain ahead of the seasoned Bhajji, achieved in those final few overs, no other cricketing brain would have dreamt of. It was nothing short of genius." Kumble's celebration was ecstatic after each wicket (he and YS took) right from Akmal onwards. The change in STYLE was intentional and he was enjoying the fact that he INDEED got it right! Brilliant. He would have wrapped up the tail if bad light had not stopped passage of play. You are spot on, that Kumble was brilliant BUT he definitely DID NOT GUESS ahead of time that we can win in 50 overs.