The Sehwag threads [Merged]

Guest HariSampath

The Sehwag threads [Merged]  

1. 1.

• Much better
    • Not better
    • unclear

ok consistent 50s or 70-80 is fine. however getting 25 in 22 balls and getting out repeatedly around 25-30 is not acceptable no matter strike rate, since runs and batting time are important in TEST cricket... Thanks Tics for ur criteria, others please add too.
agree with you
Great :thumbs_up:
Guest HariSampath

The way I look at Sehwag and his expected contribution is as follows : 1. Assuming Sehwag plays 8 inngs maximum, perhaps 6 inngs ( depending on how much India gets to bat ), I would make a minimum allowance of first 2 inngs for him to strike form, maybe get a feel , possibly a 40/50 etc, considering he is making a comeback against all odds after a year and he is a stroke player too ( think this is fair enough, when viewed against how much other openers etc have got in recent times). 2. Within the first 2 tests, I would like to see Sehwag do what is expected of him : that is, get India off to a 80-0 or 120-1 start ; dominate the inngs to an extent that our star studded middle order run up 380+ for 7 etc to set up a commanding position by day 2/3 depending on whether we bat first or second...bowlers have to capitalise too. 3. I would expect Sehwag to get a big 100 + in the series plus another 2-3 50s at least to et the Indian top order cracking and the middle order consolidating on the starts to run up matchwinning scores ( 1st or 2nd inngs)...if this happens, an additional bonus would be that at least one of the top Aussie pace attack will be blunted ...long way towards we trying for a win. I think that Sehwag will be considered a huge success if he can achieve the above ( pretty high standards for a man fighting for his place)..that is effectively doing one thing thru the series : play inngs that contribute a long way to establish batting supremacy to try and enforce win , depending on bowlers. I think he will certainly do this PLUS more if he is a bit lucky

If sehwag does what some of you have said - then he will be a SUCCESS If sehwag does 3/4th of what some of you have said - then he will be ALRIGHT If sehwag does only 0.5 to less than 0.5 of this, then I'd have to say he was FAILURE If vastly below, then MISERABLE FAILURE. This is how I'm going to atleast track it. For the record: as said many times, I'm very disappointed that Sehwag is picked, because what the heck are so many others toiling and trying to perform in domestics, when our Raja of Najafgarh can do squat, fail, and walk in. But having been given biased and preferential treatment (which is wrong, IMO), I want to be able to have objective criteria to say SUCCESS, ALRIGHT and FAILURE/Miserable failure.

It's always good to fall back upon experience in test cricket. If it were for ODIs India could have done with few youngsters. Sehwag in test cricket to Aussie tour is a fantastic choice. He's one of the few batsmen that is fantastic on anything short outside the off stump. Fair enough he struggles a bit when bowled on the body but if he can play to half of his ability he'll put the likes of Lee, Tait and the rest under scanner. The Aussies would rather not see Sehwag opening. I'm glad Sehwag made it to the team.

Guest HariSampath
It's always good to fall back upon experience in test cricket. If it were for ODIs India could have done with few youngsters. Sehwag in test cricket to Aussie tour is a fantastic choice. He's one of the few batsmen that is fantastic on anything short outside the off stump. Fair enough he struggles a bit when bowled on the body but if he can play to half of his ability he'll put the likes of Lee' date=' Tait and the rest under scanner. The Aussies would rather not see Sehwag opening. I'm glad Sehwag made it to the team.[/quote'] Go Ravi :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: I know pundits will always agree with me :yay::two_thumbs_up:

Anil Kumble’s support clinches it for Sehwag LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI13viru1a.jpg Virender Sehwag

Calcutta: Test captain Anil Kumble’s confidence in Virender Sehwag helped the senior pro make a Team India comeback. He’s in the 16 for the four-Test series in Australia. The selectors began “discussing” Sehwag — even though he wasn’t among the 24 probables — after Gautam Gambhir got ruled out for three weeks owing to injury. “It reached a stage where either Aakash Chopra (one of the probables) or Sehwag would go as the second opener... The selectors left it to Kumble and he said there was ‘no comparison’ between the two... More than anything else, his support for Sehwag clinched it,” a well-placed source told The Telegraph. Wasim Jaffer is, of course, opener No.1. Apparently, Kumble argued that Sehwag had done “very well” on the last tour (2003-04) and that he could score at a “fierce pace.” Sehwag had, in that drawn series, smashed a brilliant 195 in the first innings at the MCG.

13bound.jpg

The 29-year-old, however, hasn’t played Test cricket for almost a year. He has also been in and out of the ODI squad. Sehwag, clearly, hasn’t been chosen on form. Meanwhile, Dinesh Karthik’s 52 on the last day at the Chinnaswamy helped him retain the second ’keeper’s berth (vice-captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is choice No.1). Karthik didn’t do badly behind the stumps too in the hours just prior to the selection committee meeting. Parthiv Patel, therefore, has to wait.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071213/asp/sports/story_8663551.asp

Just how are we going to accomodate Sehwag for Test-1? Are we going to drop YS? Tendulkar and Dhoni (instead of Dinesh Kartik) will be back. Dropping YS and taking Sehwag seems unfair to YS - so how do we get Sehwag in the 11...IMO Sehwag wont play Test-1.
P_K, But our fans seem to want the "thrill" of Sehwag rather than the dourness of other batsman. So, I guess we deserve these nonsense selections. In anycase, still wondering: How do we get Sehwag in the 11 (given that SRT and MSD will be back)? Do we drop YS? Is that fair?
P_K, But our fans seem to want the "thrill" of Sehwag rather than the dourness of other batsman. So, I guess we deserve these nonsense selections. In anycase, still wondering: How do we get Sehwag in the 11 (given that SRT and MSD will be back)? Do we drop YS? Is that fair?
Dont be too sure.

I really hope VS plays 3 test matches in Aus atleast Why? Just for the sake of ICF :-) The only way we can put an end to this raging debate. I am fed up with this debate since both sides are not able to converge to anything at all. If VS comes out with flying colors, well and good for Team India. If he fails miserably, then everyone in ICF stops saying "bring virooo" from now on. Is there an inbetween? We'll find out later.