Does anyone else find Sanjay Manjrekar very annoying?

bharat297

I honestly can not stand this guy in a commentary and cricket journalism sense. I feel this guy is such an Ian Chappell wannabe ... This guy rarely has anything positive to say about Indian cricket, and all his columns are simply just stating the obvious. "Bowling is India's weak link" ... wow profound "You can't allow spinners to dictate" ... is there any bowler that you would allow to dictate? Like if you look at something like this ... http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/talk/content/multimedia/316096.html?view=transcript He starts off saying that its not just about Tendulkar and Ganguly, its about a,b,c and d and if they are performing. Then for the rest of the discussion he talks about the phasing out of the 3. He says stuff like this ...

"I think there have been some in Australia and some in Indian cricket as well - who made the job easier for the selectors by actually saying, "That's it for me, now is the time for me to move on." But there is absolutely nothing said in that direction by either Ganguly or Tendulkar. So it's really up to the selectors and what plans they have for Indian cricket, which would involve these two individuals. "
then he comes out and says stuff like this ...
"But it has to be done in a very mature fashion and not the way it was done with Dravid: dropped for the last one-day game [against Australia], and who knows what his one-day future is"
Dravid's case was where it was left up to the selectors and their plans for Indian cricket ... so it is a straight out contradiction. Also, in general, he very rarely has an opinion different to Ian Chappell. I get very annoyed by Manjrekar's columns.

I dont have anything else to add except, Manjrekar is a very good show host, but in terms of commentary, less said the better. He is in the growing number of commies who rarely say anything politically not correct, which means, as it has been pointed out in the OP, stating the obvious many times. Honestly , I like Aamir Sohail for this, the guy never minces words. When Yasir Hameed was batting against Anil Kumble in the first innings of the final test, they were showing his mode of dismissals ( mostly lbws and bowleds to Kumble) and Sohail was quick to point out " One top order has got out 4 times in the series in the same way, What is the coach of Pakistan cricket team doing ? "

I just hate that Manjrekar's opinion is just Chappell's opinion. If I wanted to know what Chappell's opinion is then I read Chappell's columns. Manjrekar rarely has anything new to say about anything, and is one of the first to criticise when something has happened, that is a bit controversial.

I don't like him either. He might be one of the better in India but that doesn't make him good. And I just don't like him criticising the selections no matter what they are. Why doesn't he apply for a selector's job? Then we'll see what he can do. To be honest I prefer reading the columns by Akash Chopra and Sanjay Banger much more than reading what this "stating the bleeding obvious" man has to write!!

I dont have anything else to add except, Manjrekar is a very good show host, but in terms of commentary, less said the better. He is in the growing number of commies who rarely say anything politically not correct, which means, as it has been pointed out in the OP, stating the obvious many times. Honestly , I like Aamir Sohail for this, the guy never minces words. When Yasir Hameed was batting against Anil Kumble in the first innings of the final test, they were showing his mode of dismissals ( mostly lbws and bowleds to Kumble) and Sohail was quick to point out " One top order has got out 4 times in the series in the same way, What is the coach of Pakistan cricket team doing ? "
Yes, I really like Aamir Sohail too. He's like the Pakistani version of Geoff Boycott. Ian Bishop's pretty good as well.

Mangy's opinions may be contraversial and many times irksome, but he has a sharp cricket brain. These days with dodos like Arun Lal & L Siva manning the mike, Mangy would be a refreshing change for me. He is a good host. I have good memories of him, from the jeet-lo-dil series in 2004. He is unfairly criticised many times. But I consider Mangy a better cricket analyst than Ravi Shastri, who always seems to say the obvious. Manjeraker is allowed to have his own opinions as a cricket analyst.. I dont think we should hold that against him

Sanjay Manjrekar started out as very good one with nice insights and all but now thinks him self as the ultimate voice of Indian cricket. We all know how this guy played out his entire career except for a series vs Pak. Its so good that now he's only with ten sports paired along side Ranjit Fernado who for me is the worst commentator in the world.

I don't like him either. He might be one of the better in India but that doesn't make him good. And I just don't like him criticising the selections no matter what they are. Why doesn't he apply for a selector's job? Then we'll see what he can do. To be honest I prefer reading the columns by Akash Chopra and Sanjay Banger much more than reading what this "stating the bleeding obvious" man has to write!!
tell me commentators who don't critcize selectors.. i mean see us all only.. we on forums do the same thing.. we criticize the selectors too..

Well its more that he very rarely says anything new, always just someone elses (usually Ian Chappell's) recycled opinions. When it comes to selections, he very rarely actually says what should happen before hand, like saying this person should be picked or not picked (before the selection), only after the selection, does he criticise the selection process. I don't mind when guys like Shastri do that, because Shastri has lent his hand to help out Indian cricket, whenever possible, whilst still juggling a media career. Manjrekar simply either states the obvious or agrees with Chappell's opinions, and has never offered to help out a player he has criticised publicly.

he also said something like " Younis Khan should be the captain even if Malik is fit for the next test match"...
Guest dada_rocks
What would a bowler coach know about batting anyway..