'Sholay' completes 40 years

Sir john

I would have preferred this ending..It is the right culmination to the story. If it was made in the 80s, Gabbar would have died a horrible death torn to pieces. x6p-_OIDp_g
For me, the ending of Sholay makes no difference to my rating of the movie. Whether Thakur kills Gabbar or leaves him for the cops, it doesn't matter! The crux of the movie is it's screenplay and dialogue which won't change for the most part, regardless of the ending.

It's been said so many times in retrospect that Amitabh Bachchan's superstardom would not have been possible without Salim-Javed, like Rajesh Khanna's without Kishore Kumar. This movie is the epitome of the Salim-Javed combination along with Deewar and Trishul, IMO. The manner in which characters develop in these movies was simply unprecedented in Indian mainstream cinema. Yeah there were Guru Dutt movies and some Dev Anand/Dilip Kumar ones where character development over the storyline was given a chance, but in general it was about how the protagonist would react to a situation rather than create one. In two words, Salim-Javed! :hail:
You forgot about kala pathar, one of the finest performance of bacchan I rate it better than both deewar and trishul for that matter.