India Vs Victoria, Tour game, Melbourne, 20-22 Dec 2007

Sachin in doubt for the match against Victoria? Sachin_Tendulkar_wideweb__470x300,0.jpg Sachin Tendulkar had only a gentle hit against the team's fitness adviser during yesterday's net session and is in doubt for the match against Victoria starting today. Photo: John Donegan By Peter Hanlon December 20, 2007 With only one warm-up game, India heads into the Boxing Day Test dreadfully short of match practice. The doomsayers of summer have been muttering as much, and India's vice-captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni as good as admitted yesterday that the tourists are in danger of entering the Boxing Day Test hopelessly ill-prepared in their bid to end Australia's 14-Test winning streak. India's only warm-up game begins against Victoria at Junction Oval today, but is set to be impacted upon by both the rain that is forecast on all three days, and the absence of Sachin Tendulkar, who is likely to be kept in cotton wool for hostilities at the MCG. "It's always better to have a few sessions before a big Test match (and) we don't really have much time for practice," said Dhoni, a breathtaking wicketkeeper-batsman who has played 22 Tests but none in Australia. "Tomorrow is crucial . . . I think most of the players would love to play." Pushed about Tendulkar's fitness, after the batting great's withdrawal from last week's third Test against Pakistan with knee soreness, Dhoni said: "He is improving, (but) if he needs some more time to rest himself and recover, to be 100% for the first game, he can take it." Dhoni said the prospect of rain was a concern. "You'd love to have more time, but that's too many ifs and buts. Even if it rains there's nothing can be done about it, we'll go to the indoors and have a knock, do whatever we can." Having arrived in Melbourne only 24 hours earlier, the Indians yesterday stepped out on some lively MCG practice wickets, and gave little indication they will be the saviours of a cricket-barren summer. Sourav Ganguly looked nothing like a man who made a double hundred in Bangalore just over a week earlier, fellow former captain Rahul Dravid was little better, and Yuvraj Singh wore balls on the body. Tendulkar had a gentle hit against the team's fitness adviser. Coming off a compacted three-Test series against Pakistan, which was pushed back to accommodate the Twenty-20 world championship, poses another challenge that Dhoni admitted was problematic, that of adjusting from the low, slow sub-continental conditions to the more lively surfaces of Australia - an issue for bowlers as much as batsmen. "Lots of bounce," he said, laughing, when asked what India was expecting in Australia, along with good, aggressive cricket. "Getting used to the conditions is very important . . . so the practice game is important, especially when you're coming from a series in India. When you're playing in Australia, the length you're bowling is very important, very different to where you bowl in the sub-continent or England." Rookie quicks Ishant Sharma and RP Singh are both in contention to support Zaheer Khan and Irfan Pathan in the pace bowling department, while captain Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh will cover the spin duties. Dhoni said the prospect of starting the four-Test series on Melbourne's drop-in wicket, which has again been criticised by state players this season for its lack of zing, was not necessarily an advantage, as such things are relative. "If it's Australia, even if it's slow and low, it would be nothing compared to the fastest wicket in India." So to Shaun Tait, who Dhoni said the Indians had been studying on video, monitoring the different angles at which he delivers the ball at express pace. "We have seen the videos (but) it's how you perform on the field, you have to react quickly." Australia anywhere in the world is a challenge, Dhoni said, "whether it's Test cricket, one-day cricket or T-20".
Why would a state side rest one of their first choice fast bowler ( Nannes), against a touring side ? Isnt it a great chance for these players to make an impression and even better, dent the Indians' confidence with some good performances ? Beats my logic.
maybe because they don't want india to face good quality seam bowling and then get knocked over without being acclitimized to conditions in Australia when they face superior fast bowling.

Zaheer's fitness worry for India ahead of Boxing Day Test PTI MELBOURNE, December 19: Pace spearhead Zaheer Khan's fitness must be a worrying factor for the Indian think-tank ahead of the Boxing day Test against Australia with the left-arm seamer yet to recover from his ankle injury. The paceman, who missed the final Test against Pakistan in Bangalore due to the injury, had his right heel heavily bandaged while the Indians had their first practice session at the Melbourne Cricket Ground this afternoon. Zaheer has impressed one and all with his performance since his return to international cricket last November and is seen as the central figure in achieving India's long-cherished aim of a maiden Test series victory Down Under. After his stint with Worcestershire, a transformed Zaheer picked up 13 wickets at 30.38 from three Tests against South Africa in the away series and gave England a dose of their own medicine to grab 18 wickets at 20.33 in three matches. So good was Zaheer against England on their own turf that the home batsmen had then conceded that it was almost impossible to pick his line and movement. He picked up eight wickets from two Tests against Bangladesh (21.88), and five against Pakistan from two matches (38.20). The Mumbai bowler has also claimed 40 wickets from 34 One-dayers since last year. However, Zaheer's previous trip to Australia was not a happy one even though he picked up a five-wicket haul in the opening Test in Brisbane. The speedster, who was not fit enough, then played the second Test in Melbourne only to return sorry figures of none for 103. He took no further part in the series. Zaheer's fitness worries could force the team management to get in touch with the Indian board to send in lanky Munaf Patel as replacement for the first Test. Patel, who missed the Bangalore Test against Pakistan due to injury, has been declared fit though the board has advised him to play domestic games before putting his hand up for selection. Munaf is the 17th member of the side and presently a stand-by.

Preview: India will battle weather and fitness in tour opener Cricinfo staff December 19, 2007 spacer.gif326149.jpg?alt=2Sachin Tendulkar is a doubtful starter for India's first tour game © Getty Images India get into action with their first tour game against Victoria on Thursday, two days after their arrival in Australia. The Indians won't be taking the game lightly given that it's the only practice match before the first Test, but both sides have concerns over injuries and the weather with rain forecast for the next three days. Victoria have been in good form this season, equal on points with top-ranked New South Wales, and will take the game against India as a chance to blood allrounder John Hastings and batsman Aaron Finch. Victoria's bowling will not be at full strength with fast bowlers Shane Harwood and Gerard Denton injured and Dirk Nannes being rested. Cameron White, the captain, is ruled out while Brad Hodge, who is to lead the side in White's absence, is an uncertain starter and will be passed fit only after his back is assessed on Thursday. The visitors will look to playing most of their first-choice Test XI but Sachin Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan, who didn't take part in training on Tuesday, are uncertain for the clash. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who along with Tendulkar and Zaheer missed the final Test against Pakistan in Bangalore, is fit to play the opener and said the game was a crucial one for the team. "It's always better to have a few sessions before a big Test match [and] we don't really have much time for practice," Dhoni told the Sydney Morning Herald. "Tomorrow is crucial ... I think most of the players would love to play." Tendulkar, Dhoni said, was improving, "[but] if he needs some more time to rest himself and recover, to be 100% for the first game, he can take it." Dhoni played down talk of the team not having enough practice and of the importance of the forecast of rain. "You'd love to have more time [for practice], but that's too many ifs and buts," he said. "Even if it rains there's nothing can be done about it - we'll go indoors and have a knock, do whatever we can." Dhoni said the team were aiming for a win. "If you are on the field and if you are playing you have got to win, there is no question of just playing the game for practice." He said the team would have to adapt to the bouncy pitches in Australia. "Getting used to the conditions is very important ... so the practice game is important, especially when you're coming from a series in India," he said. "When you're playing in Australia, the length you're bowling is very important, very different to where you bowl in the sub-continent or England." Meanwhile, Greg Shipperd, the Victoria coach, said despite missing a few regulars, his team would give India a tough fight. "We will come out and play some good quality cricket and I'm sure probably surprise them," he told sportal.com.au. "I think it [the pitch] will be quite grassy - it will be hard and I'm sure it will be a good cricket wicket with plenty of pace in it." He said the team had enough strength in bowling and was expecting legspinner Bryce McGain to make an impression, which could aid him in winning the nod for a place in the Australian Test squad. Ricky Ponting revealed that McGain was considered by the selectors as a candidate for the Boxing Day Test. "A four- or five-for from Bryce McGain here certainly throws his hat into the ring for the second Test," Shipperd said. "I was disappointed for Bryce [missing out on the Boxing Day Test] because I thought it was a 50-50 bet between him and Hogg." Teams (from): Victoria : Brad Hodge (capt), David Hussey, Aiden Blizzard, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Nick Jewell, Michael Klinger, Andrew McDonald , Bryce McGain, Robert Quiney, Peter Siddle, Matthew Wade (wk), Allan Wise. India: Anil Kumble (capt), Wasim Jaffer, Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Karthik, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Irfan Pathan, Ishant Sharma, Pankaj Singh.

Yes I will cricketics. But the problem is the timing. Because of the match starting ar 5.30 am, I might miss the first session. But from thereon, I'll be glued to the TV, doing all my works in the living room itself. And it is extremely cold here these days at Delhi. So maybe all the blanket etc on the sofa itself!! :D

Yes I will cricketics. But the problem is the timing. Because of the match starting ar 5.30 am, I might miss the first session. But from thereon, I'll be glued to the TV, doing all my works in the living room itself. And it is extremely cold here these days at Delhi. So maybe all the blanket etc on the sofa itself!! :D
Delhi winter is fun though.. early morning.. and specially getting to watch a game is icing on cake.. and specially when Indian is playing in australia... Cricket @ its best..