Chucking is a stigma: Shoaib Akhtar

Q. Do you believe that in your career there have been more lows than highs? Shoaib: To a certain extent. You see, some people learn through the hard way, some through the easiest way. It's all the choices you make in your life. Unfortunately I put myself in such awkward situations at times where I do not belong - but I happen to be. I'm the security in other people's lives, I have to be there to save them - but fortunately or unfortunately for other people, I find myself in such situations or odd places where I should not be. I think yes, I have had more lows than highs. But the thing is every time I go through some controversy that makes me stronger. Yes, famous people make mistakes and they have got to be more careful but they are human. But my problem was not self-created - it was someone else trying to do things to me - you know, fame also brings in insecurity in other people, and jealousy which brings in a lot more politics. I think that jealousy has got a bit of a role to play indeed. Q. Eleven years, less than 50 Test matches though you played a complete series in India. Haven't you kind of let down your own expectations? Shoaib: That was my destiny, I'll be honest with you. You go through a chucking controversy three times - in the peak of my career in 2000 till 2004 I was struggling through the chucking controversy. I was fully fit and tried to perform - but there's the chucking controversy again. I don't know whether I am going to be washing dishes in England, or what I am going to do in the next few years' time. So, my mental focus is not there and I am not playing full-heartedly because one day they'll ban me and the next day they will let me go. Do you think I am a machine, I am superhuman that I will not feel any pain? That you will take the limelight, everything away from him yet he is going to be there for you? I feel pain, definitely. It was tough enough for me to come out of the controversy and then play - at times I was thinking of retiring because the chucking controversy was so severe. That is why I did not play cricket properly, because every time they were going to ban me. They banned me at least twice in 4 years' time. I played only 6-7 Test matches in 4 years' time. So that was a big factor in my life that has taken its toll. Yes, I agree - this abnormality, I can't help it, I was born with this thing. If someone's foot is narrow and he can hit the ball better than Beckham that does not mean he can't play football... So that was the controversy that they wasted so much of my time over. Q. Do you believe this tag of chucker is really going to go away from Shoaib Akhtar? Shoaib: This is a stigma, a wound that never heals. Every time someone calls you a chucker it feels weird, it feels so low. I am sure that Shaun Tait (Australian fast bowler) is feeling the same - I supported him on Monday- I said leave the poor guy alone. Brett Lee went through the same trauma, I think Murali went through the same trauma. People can't just come out from nowhere and say such things about you, like it's their property. This guy is so obssesed with himself !!:omg: