Shame Shame Ganguly

A It still behoves to not call other members (new or old) personal names/abuses.
What if the member at the receiving end actually welcomes that abuse? Did you notice how GIB, the chap who started the thread, didn't post again? Coverpoint carried on regardless, undeterred by the abuse. You see, I think MBs don't follow the rules of the society in general. In this case, GIB and Coverpoint are actually fishing for abuse, just as people fish for compliments. They would be disappointed if somebody didn't abuse them for slagging off their hero without any justification. Abuse here is actually a reflection of the success of their posts. The more the better. Predator has therefore fulfilled a need that these posters have. He deserves to be thanked, at least by those two.

Doc...your observation is wrong... if you read my OP...you would find that there is nothing substantiative written which can be debated or argued.. its mere a thought which was given a dress of words.. people vent their frustration..in many ways... some by smoking..some by killing...and some by abusing... Could not under stand the point of craving for abuse..? pls elaborate..

Could not under stand the point of craving for abuse..?
It's a human need, GIB. Remember Anu_D? I am not saying you are like her, but just think for a moment, does your denigration of Ganguly, who has just had three back to back successful Test series, not mirror her treatment of Dravid, who was then India's most successful bat? See, we subconsciously take a leaf even out of the books of those we abhor.

not hiding that fact that i rate Dravid way higher than Ganguly...as a player ...which is true.. i also accept that my OP was more of a pleasure post than any substantiative opinion based on facts.. BUT i ask you few questions 1. Since Ganguly is among runs lately..and Dravid is not so high in confidence ... is it fair to ask Dravid to open the innings...when his spot at number 3 is secure and he is confortable there....shouldn't ganguly raise his hand and say that he is ready to open..? isn't he trying to save his @ss? isn't he an others hiding behind the "technically best batsman" to open the innings and face the new ball, fresh pitch, fresh bowlers and blunt them so that they can later come and win laurels..??? 2. Is Yuvi that great now that others will have to shift to accommodate him..? if he is not technically efficient to open then shouldn't he develop his skills..? or shouldn't he feel ashamed that at 26..and considered as MVP in ODIs for india...still people think that he is not fit to face the barrage of fresh bowlers on fresh pitch ... and if some one is "sacrificing" for them ..then how about showing some humility and acknowledging his favour..??? how about a statement from players concerned or vengcircus...acknowledging the selfless services of Dravid for the team..?? its the use and throw mentality of few people ( Ganguly , Vengy , Yuvi ) which masks the whatever little good deeds they have done... Ganguly needs to score heavily and win india matches in this tour...otherwise all his recent past series effort will mean nothing...

What if the member at the receiving end actually welcomes that abuse? Did you notice how GIB, the chap who started the thread, didn't post again? Coverpoint carried on regardless, undeterred by the abuse. You see, I think MBs don't follow the rules of the society in general. In this case, GIB and Coverpoint are actually fishing for abuse, just as people fish for compliments. They would be disappointed if somebody didn't abuse them for slagging off their hero without any justification. Abuse here is actually a reflection of the success of their posts. The more the better. Predator has therefore fulfilled a need that these posters have. He deserves to be thanked, at least by those two.
All finey is getting at .... and I concur... is that when someone abuses anyone they are more likely than not going to get abused back. All fair so far. Question is, once the conversation starts going downhill, where do the mods (assuming they are so inclined) draw the line? So he calls me a F*cking Paki ... I only called him a F*ing Bangladeshi. What if I called him a F*ing M*Fer? would that be over the line? What if I described in some intimate detail the things I saw in his family? The point is, If the discussion stays about cricketers ... without abusing posters ... its easy to maintain consistency. And the mods dont have to intervene. If you justify what Predz wrote ... fair enough ... everyone has a right to their opinions, but then you cant be one to complain when the situation escalates to the next level. Fair?
If you justify what Predz wrote ... fair enough ... everyone has a right to their opinions, but then you cant be one to complain when the situation escalates to the next level. Fair?
This is my point too. When someone calls F* paki, someone is going to say F* bangladeshi...soon it will escalate to next level with even more personal things. It is better to stop at the point of F*paki/bangla, and warn the posters to not use such language or name calling. That will save everyone some slang fest watching with popcorn at their sides. (GKD -as a spectator - may enjoy the popcorn and soda and watch the opera unfold :D, but neverthless) I think point made, we can all move on from here.

As I see it, a lot depends on individual preferences and personal equations. For example, I would not have minded it if Predator had called me a facking P@ki. We know each other on MBs for a long time and I can take that kind of a banter from him without any ill feelings or necessarily retorting back. Obviously, coverpoint and a lot of posters here are new and they are not expected to share my sentiments. I probably won't be as accomodating to this kind of abuse if it was coming from someone I don't know well either. And coverpoint was well within his rights to respond, as he did. After that it was always going to go downhill and I asked you fellows to chill out, which to your credit you did.

not hiding that fact that i rate Dravid way higher than Ganguly...as a player ...which is true.. i also accept that my OP was more of a pleasure post than any substantiative opinion based on facts.. BUT i ask you few questions 1. Since Ganguly is among runs lately..and Dravid is not so high in confidence ... is it fair to ask Dravid to open the innings...when his spot at number 3 is secure and he is confortable there....shouldn't ganguly raise his hand and say that he is ready to open..? isn't he trying to save his @ss? isn't he an others hiding behind the "technically best batsman" to open the innings and face the new ball, fresh pitch, fresh bowlers and blunt them so that they can later come and win laurels..??? 2. Is Yuvi that great now that others will have to shift to accommodate him..? if he is not technically efficient to open then shouldn't he develop his skills..? or shouldn't he feel ashamed that at 26..and considered as MVP in ODIs for india...still people think that he is not fit to face the barrage of fresh bowlers on fresh pitch ... and if some one is "sacrificing" for them ..then how about showing some humility and acknowledging his favour..??? how about a statement from players concerned or vengcircus...acknowledging the selfless services of Dravid for the team..?? its the use and throw mentality of few people ( Ganguly , Vengy , Yuvi ) which masks the whatever little good deeds they have done... Ganguly needs to score heavily and win india matches in this tour...otherwise all his recent past series effort will mean nothing...
Good point of view ....You could edit the OP

Good point shwetabh. If over time you get comfortable with someone, then some leg pulling is ok. Even then I'm not sure if abuses are ok, it depends on person to person. There is a diff between banter and abusive name calling, and the line can get crossed. Thats what one needs to watch out for.

Alrighty everyone, point taken. You guys are grown up enough to handle all this yourselves. The last thing you, CP or Predator would want, is mods lecturing you guys on MB etiquettes. I request all of you to take things easy & cut out the abuse. This is an MB afterall. Dont take everything written here too seriously. This has been enough of a distraction already, lets stay on topic.

Ohh Dravid...The Ultimate Team Man...The Real Hero...The Real Warrior... Players like Ganguly..VVS..Yuvi..should wash your feet and drink the water..so that they too can get some of your qualities..
I agree Dravid is the ultimate team player but you never mention Tendulkar. Tendulkar has a great technique but he doesn't want to open, you can't just blame Ganguly, Laxman ( who did open for a few games but didnt succees). So Tendulkar should wash Dravid's feet and drink water, so that he can get some of his qualities. I'm not saying Tendulkar should open but he also doesn't want to open.