Indian Bowlers Watch Thread

Our bowling unit in tests is really looking potent now. 

Their performance on this wicket ...not a bowlers' paradise...by both the pacers and spinners...have been really impressive.

Kohli's stress on picking 20 wickets and the resulting motivation has started to work. The bowlers are giving their best.   :hatsoff:

WOW...a captain can have lot of influence on a bowling unit......probably pak have realized this long time back

Very good for an off spinner. Turned significantly and well directed. Even ABDV was foxed.

He actually bowled 3 on the trot in another over later in the day.

Pretty nice. Do you think it can develop into a geniune wicket taking delivery for him? Of course, not like a proper leggie but something that he can use when nothing is working and get a wicket here or there.

Or will working on this stuff be harmful for his off spin action in the long run?

Pretty nice. Do you think it can develop into a geniune wicket taking delivery for him? Of course, not like a proper leggie but something that he can use when nothing is working and get a wicket here or there.

Or will working on this stuff be harmful for his off spin action in the long run?

They showed an interesting statistic today on TV. In this series 80% of Ashwin's deliveries have been off-spinners....and he has ended up with so many wickets. Both of us actually wanted Ashwin to do this before this series began and had a discussion on this topic ( along with him giving more revs on the ball consistently ).  It is nice to see that he has done it and succeeded. In a previous series, when he did badly...this % was below 65 %.

So, I guess, this variation would be good for him if he uses it intelligently and most of his deliveries are off-spinners.

Edited by express bowling

Southafrica did bat out 135 over at Adelaide to ensure draw , repeat again in Colombo bats out 147 over.

162 over now at Delhi now of which half job done with 72 overs played but yet another 90 overs waiting for them.

Only 4 wkts fall on day 3  and  only 3 on day 4 for only 149 runs in 90 overs

They showed an interesting statistic today on TV. In this series 80% of Ashwin's deliveries have been off-spinners....and he has ended up with so many wickets. Both of us actually wanted Ashwin to do this before this series began and had a discussion on this topic ( along with him giving more revs on the ball consistently ).  It is nice to see that he has done it and succeeded. In a previous series, when he did badly...this % was below 65 %.

So, I guess, this variation would be good for him if he uses it intelligently and most of his deliveries are off-spinners.

Yeah but I was asking more about this from a technical standpoint (where I don't have much knowledge). If you checked out Ashwin's interview in cricinfo, he talks about how he truly sorted his issues by working on his wrist positions after being dropped for the Adelaide test. He credited Bharat Arun for helping him as well as giving him technical material to read to understand what all he needs to do. The reason he is doing so well is because his cocking, wrist, run up, body, arms - all are synchronised perfectly. That allows him to get the ball to talk while being accurate.

If he loses the synchronisation, then he won't be as effective even if he is accurate. My slight worry is that while the leg breaks look like a great addition, does this have the potential for him to let bad habits creep into his action? I heard Warne didn't work much on his googly cos it would affect his stock ball which was anyday more lethal. Maybe this won't affect Ash...maybe Ash knows the technical aspects of his game very well that he can identify his mistake even if he makes them...OR maybe it will take a long time for him to sort out if he goes out of sync (I dunno).

Hence my question. His leggie is really good as a variation (just checked out the video). Gets spin and bounce. Needs to work on accuracy but the basic quality is there. If he can do this without letting his original off spin get corrupted, he is onto something HUGE.

But....it comes with certain risks. So what do you think about it? Will his off spin be fine (technically speaking) down the road if he continues bowling leggies?

Edited by sensible-indian

Well his parents were in Chennai, struck in flood and he not able to contact them as long as 24 hour but now they are safe.

Well back to the point

Ya Ashwin improves much more under Bharat Arun, guidance after Adelaide some time ago.he is not only bowler who dose off spin and Legspin bowling English fast bowler Anderson took 3 ashes wicket with his off spin.

Who knows probably  Ash experiments later on today at Delhi.

Yeah but I was asking more about this from a technical standpoint (where I don't have much knowledge). If you checked out Ashwin's interview in cricinfo, he talks about how he truly sorted his issues by working on his wrist positions after being dropped for the Adelaide test. He credited Bharat Arun for helping him as well as giving him technical material to read to understand what all he needs to do. The reason he is doing so well is because his cocking, wrist, run up, body, arms - all are synchronised perfectly. That allows him to get the ball to talk while being accurate.

If he loses the synchronisation, then he won't be as effective even if he is accurate. My slight worry is that while the leg breaks look like a great addition, does this have the potential for him to let bad habits creep into his action? I heard Warne didn't work much on his googly cos it would affect his stock ball which was anyday more lethal. Maybe this won't affect Ash...maybe Ash knows the technical aspects of his game very well that he can identify his mistake even if he makes them...OR maybe it will take a long time for him to sort out if he goes out of sync (I dunno).

Hence my question. His leggie is really good as a variation (just checked out the video). Gets spin and bounce. Needs to work on accuracy but the basic quality is there. If he can do this without letting his original off spin get corrupted, he is onto something HUGE.

But....it comes with certain risks. So what do you think about it? Will his off spin be fine (technically speaking) down the road if he continues bowling leggies?

I think it would be a bit out of my league to analyze the exact problems that a leading international off-spinner like Ashwin may face in trying to develop variations. We can just discuss the general principles involved.

The leg-spinner is bowled with a completely different grip to the off-spinner.  The wrist is used predominantly and the revs imparted on the ball are counter clockwise. The classical off-spinner is bowled using the fingers predominantly ( unless you are Muralidharan who used his wrist mainly )  and the revs imparted on the ball are clockwise. So, I feel, there is less risk of messing up ones action when an off spin bowler tries occasional leg spin.

When too many subtle variations are tried  with almost similar starting grip but with different "work" on the ball or different release points then there is more risk of messing up the original stock delivery. This maybe one of the reasons why Ashwin is trying less carrom balls now. The googly is released from the back of the hand by leg-spinners and too many may mess up their stock leg-spinners.

I pointed out  the 80 % stock ball bowled by Ashwin because too many variations of any kind is anyway risky and bowling more than 75% stock deliveries would obviously be the safest way to go if one wants a very potent and consistent stock ball...in this case the off-spinner.

Indian bowling on subcontinent pitches is looking really really strong. Spin bowling is top class with Ashwin, Jadeja and Mishra. Fast bowling for the 1st time after so many years is looking potent too. Umesh, Aaron, Ishant all are showing signs of improvement and with Shami coming back it's only going to become more stronger. Exciting times ahead for Indian cricket fans.

Indian bowling on subcontinent pitches is looking really really strong. Spin bowling is top class with Ashwin, Jadeja and Mishra. Fast bowling for the 1st time after so many years is looking potent too. Umesh, Aaron, Ishant all are showing signs of improvement and with Shami coming back it's only going to become more stronger. Exciting times ahead for Indian cricket fans.

I love the fact that our fast bowlers are bowling to a plan after a long time. Combining pace with accuracy. If they can go on doing this we will do much better outside the sub-continent too. 

Apart from Umesh, Aaron, Ishant and Shami...we have Nathu Singh waiting in the wings also...atleast 5 quick guys.