Chennai Rain!!

vvvslaxman

democracy in TN : you are free to do as we please .

AIADMK partymen intimidating activists and NGOs into using Amma stickers on the relief material they brought into the city. :

anger swept across the city as state departments fumbled with the key task of coordinating among central agencies and NGOs raining relief materials on the state and the virtual crumbling of Chennai's infrastructure. The unprecedented deluge and floods had exposed the city's weak links, its drainage system, poor planning and non-existent disaster management plan.

50,000 cusecs of water was let out without any warning  :

The bodies of a retired Army officer and his wife besides five others were pulled out from their homes... by fire and Army rescue personnel on Friday. Officials said all the seven might have been sleeping when the gushing waters of the Adyar River nearby barrelled into their homes, trapping them. Residents say 50,000 cusecs of water was let out without any warning on Tuesday night.

•  Army teams say they have become directionless, are requested to rescue relatives of VIPs at the cost of common people;
  • local logistical support was not available in full measure.
  • Unruly elements try to make political capital out of relief work;

..unruly political elements who sought to hijack their relief efforts. Social media was abuzz with complaints from volunteers who brought loads of relief materials for distribution to the affected people that some ruling party functionaries forced them to stick the photographs :facepalm: of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on the parcels. In some places, they were allegedly not allowed to distribute the aid until they agreed to allow some politicians to “inaugurate” the relief camp.  

If TN had been a separate country it would be like North Korea.

Still raining.. but finally it is slowly getitng back to normal. GIven the fact i have so many friend and relatives in chennai I get to hear the story only now. It is truly depressing. many classmates of my wife cried.  It is unbelievable catastrophe for chennai..  More than the rain, it was the lake they opened that caused the massive flooding inside some key areas of chennai where normally rain water don't stagnate much. They didn't warn beforehand.  Looked like they did at night. Utter administrative failure.

Government has failed completely, they never took precaution after early warning of rain and flood.

People have started to go back to their Hut house in banks of Saidapet Covum.. Only Govt and Housing can provide them permanent house at safer place.

All MTC buses have been struck with Amma poster since it's free till tomorrow.. Seems like AIADMK have changed TN Govt logo

Still raining.. but finally it is slowly getitng back to normal. GIven the fact i have so many friend and relatives in chennai I get to hear the story only now. It is truly depressing. many classmates of my wife cried.  It is unbelievable catastrophe for chennai..  More than the rain, it was the lake they opened that caused the massive flooding inside some key areas of chennai where normally rain water don't stagnate much. They didn't warn beforehand.  Looked like they did at night. Utter administrative failure.

It's always the same damn case. In Surat 2003, they opened the lakes and didnt warn people. Water didnt go for 10 days. These administrators suck. 

India is sitting on an enviornmental time bomb.Just finished watching Ravish's Prime Time as he went into the causes and it is scary viewing.If the builders keep on encroaching on the drainage pathways of rivers as well as building on filled up ponds,this will keep on happening as it has in Chennai,Kashmir and Mumbai.

Kudos to the community spirit of Chennaites as seen in the neighbours getting together to help the disabled kids in a residential school in their neighbourhood who had been without food and water for 24 hrs, but as he said prevention is better than cure and the same community spirit should be seen into getting together to prevent this from happening again once the flood waters recede.