Rahul Dravid reaches a fair time to leave: a dignified exit

head coach

Guest HariSampath
I wish Dravid hits a century in this series before announcing his retirement from Test Cricket at the end of the series. Indian team - Dangerous tigers with fallen teeth!
I wish that Dravid plays a match impacting knock in the next test ( even if not a 100, at least 70-80 inngs @ 60 % strike rate minimum )...if he does this..he can well play 2 more tests..and no need to retire...but if he again scratches and fails, he has to make serious decisions
Guest HariSampath
It is very unlikely that Dravid will get a chance to play in the 2nd test....and the chances are he will reassess his situation and game too. He is a very intelligent dignified cricketer who may want to think whether this is a lack of form or he is seriously downhill, and its the end of a fantastic test career. If this test , where he was a miserable failure, is not seen in isolation but in the context of England and pakistan series, it certainly looks that he is at the end of the road. Sad, but true. If he is dropped from 2-3 tests, Dravid will announce his retirement.
To elaborate on my post above....in view of Dravid being smashed in all cricketing circles( rightly so...too )..he may not get another chance, but I think he can be given one chance...very marginal basis, at maybe 5 or 6...and hope he does come good...if not, it will be very uncertain test future
im sorry but i can never have anything against dravid. retirement shouldnt be pressured by anyone. he should retire on his own will.
I am not suggesting Dravid should retire, but the above mentioned policy never works in case of subcontinental players. Even the great Kapil Dev had to be booted out. Call it the tendency to latch on the spot or bungling on the part of BCCI, but that is the sad truth. There is no Steve Waugh kinda pre-planned exit to a great player.
I am not suggesting Dravid should retire' date=' but the above mentioned policy never works in case of subcontinental players. Even the great Kapil Dev had to be booted out. Call it the tendency to latch on the spot or bungling on the part of BCCI, but that is the sad truth. There is no Steve Waugh kinda pre-planned exit to a great player.[/quote'] Steve Waugh was also kind of forced out. He talked about touring India in 2004 for a final shot at the "final frontier" in one of the press conference after the SA tour (which they won by 5-1 : 3-0 at home and 2-1 away) but was made to retire after the 2003-04 India series. And he also did hang around a lot more than he should have. The only difference is his team was winning everything in sight and the current Indian team is struggling to pull up a win (current win against Pak included) While i agree Dravid is woefully out of form, he cannot/should not be dropped from any of the match this series. As somebody said, he is one good innings away from striking form. Plus, we don't have any decent batsmen to replace him in the squad.
Dravid made a match winning 93 in Perth and a very important half century in Sydney. He still deserves to be given an extended run.
I was thinking the same thing not only 93 and half century but also in Australia vs other players who score on domestic pitches and can't do it outside the subcontinet
Ganguly has to take the decision sooner than Dravid' date=' I think. He is the oldest after Kumble. Scratched around in this series 235 runs at 29.x. Dravid's batting won the test in Perth.[/quote'] Thank god there are ppl who are still thinking sensibly!!!