Who is the most exciting non-established young player in Indian cricket?

Vijy

Who is the most exciting non-established young player in Indian cricket?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. The most exciting player in Indian cricket?

• Kuldeep Yadav
    • Hardik Pandya
    • Risabh Pant
    • Deepak Hooda
    • Other

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I'm not saying that we need to someone exacltly like him. But finding an opener who can avg 45+ at an SR of 60+ itself seems very difficult at the moment. Monk is very inconsistent, and I'm not a fan of Rahul' batting yet (maybe he'll improve later). I think that Chopra should be sent on some A tours now, along with Panchal and Mukund.

Well Dhawan, when doing well, is a pretty decent version of "poor man's sehwag".  But he's going to be all PokeMon if the ball is moving more than a bit.  And others - please leave out his 2013 champions trophy heroics out of this... We're talking test cricket here...

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Well Dhawan, when doing well, is a pretty decent version of "poor man's sehwag".  But he's going to be all PokeMon if the ball is moving more than a bit.  And others - please leave out his 2013 champions trophy heroics out of this... We're talking test cricket here...

Doesn't happen often enough... even within SC.

7 hours ago, sandeep said:

To me, Hardik Pandya is the guy who's most exciting.  We haven't had a player of his type in decades - if he can even avg 30+ with the bat and about 35 or better with the ball, he will give our team so much balance on away tours and increase our odds of test success.  I'm not saying that he will do that - quite a ways to go for him.  But an effective seam bowling allrounder is a big deal for Test Team India.  

Panth appears promising, and sure we need to replace Dhoni with a young upgrade to perk up our LOI team, but he's not the only promising 'keeper bat coming through the ranks - a season or so ago, everybody was equally pantgasmic about Sanju Samson, and he's still in the mix.  And so is Ishan Kishan.  

But Sanju Samson never had the performance of this magnitude in FC cricket. 

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

I can't think of any excellent keepers who are young either. I wish India could find a "purist" keeper who can average around 40 in FC, and around 35 in Tests. That would be ideal - in Eng, Ben Foakes could potentially play that role.

There is no concept of excellent young keepers in cricket. It takes years for a keeper to become really good at keeping.

7 hours ago, SUMO said:

not just about dravid
the way he backed sehwag when he was nothing player in domestics
yuvraj, kaif, nehra, zak, bhajji all not more than just a rookie in domestics that time

btw I think pant or kishan will be our keeper but who knows dada could be right also

When was Sehwag nothing player in domestic cricket? Sehwag was setting domestic cricket on fire with his aggressive batting when he was picked.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

There is no concept of excellent young keepers in cricket. It takes years for a keeper to become really good at keeping.

Yes, if a keeper debuts in FC scene at 18, they'd have 5 years to turn 23. Anyway, this discussion was about young players up to 23, but the focus is not "just" on these players... frankly, I'd take someone like Foakes into the team any day. Very surprised he's not in Eng setup. Eng could potentially play 3-4 keepers in Test and ODIs teams, of which 2-3 can bat and 1 can keep.

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

Based on my criteria specified in the first point, Prashant Chopra ought to be excluded (over 24) but he is having an excellent season. His SR and batting position (opener) is reminiscent a bit of the great Sehwag - if only we could unearth a like-for-like replacement for our buccaneering opener.

He had a good last season too.

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He had a good last season too.

Yes, he and Panchal have both have 2 good seasons. Chopra's younger, and his style is more attractive, with his runs coming at an outstanding pace. But, some Ranji commentators have said nice things about Panchal too.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Yes, he and Panchal have both have 2 good seasons. Chopra's younger, and his style is more attractive, with his runs coming at an outstanding pace. But, some Ranji commentators have said nice things about Panchal too.

Panchal is a handy medium pacer too.