Arrogant Ponting must be sacked: Roebuck

putrevus

Fellow Indian cricket fans Roebuck sacked blacks Viv Richards and Joel Garner from Somerset for local young white boys. Tony Greig was once suspended as commentator for suggesting Asian bride must be "mail order bride" while commentating and wedding was going on in background near cricket ground. We should be careful not to accept racism or racists. As Indian who has lived in USA, I have myself been victim of racism. Let us beat Aussies, but never stoop to racism ourselves. Just as we know Aussie team are fond of sleding, we all know Bhajji used monkey word in India and crowd made monkey noises, so he may have said that word again in the heat of battle. Australians don't like racism. Darren Lehmann was suspended for 3 matches when he called Sri Lankans "black c...s". Dean Jones was sacked as commentator for calling Hashan Amla a "terrorist". All of Australians and media agreed with these decisions. The question is whether Bhajji said monkey to Symonds. If he did, then ban is appropriate. If we say he did not, then we are calling Symonds a lier, which is also bad for relations between teams. Maybe all players should wear microphones so all racist comments and sledging can be stopped. Let us all cool down. Rather than complain about Bhajji's ban, we should complain about Clarke's dissent when caught at slip - why was it treated differently from Yuvi's dissent in Melbourne test? We must focus on the better argument, not calling all Aussies liers and cheaters, which is counterproductive to our cause. Ponting also did not ban Bhajji, it was the match referee. Ponting is told to report what he hears, which he did, so we cannot complain. Likewise, Anil should report bad sledging he hears. Let us all cool down. Australian team is clearly the best team playing cricket, but we have great team also. Let us not look like sore losers. This is SRT's final Australian tour. He deserves better than to have tour brought down to slanging match. If we boycott tour, maybe Australians boycott upcoming tour to India, which is not good for cricket or BCCI. Let smarter heads prevail, and we should turn our focus to playing good cricket and keeping our mouths shut as example to Australians how to play game properly. Also both teams are guilty of over-appealing, which in my view adds to difficulty for umpires, which causes more bad decisions to be made. Rajesh

Rajesh, welcome to the board, but really when you say that the Australian media and players called Lehmann and Jones racists, you have no grounds to stand on. Most of the comments and reactions were on the lines of, "he did it in the heat of the moment, he's a nice bloke", "it was just a joke" etc. etc. Please don't fabricate stuff to put across your arguments. PS : And please don't use the "N" word.

Fellow Indian cricket fans We should be careful not to accept racism or racists.
Agree.
Just as we know Aussie team are fond of sleding, we all know Bhajji used monkey word in India and crowd made monkey noises, so he may have said that word again in the heat of battle.
Notice your words.
The question is whether Bhajji said monkey to Symonds. If he did, then ban is appropriate. If we say he did not, then we are calling Symonds a lier, which is also bad for relations between teams.
Again notice how "may" and "if" come into your argument. And by accepting that Bhajji indeed said that, won't we be calling Sachin a liar, as he clearly said that Bhajji didn't say that word? Is that good?
Let us all cool down. Rather than complain about Bhajji's ban, we should complain about Clarke's dissent when caught at slip - why was it treated differently from Yuvi's dissent in Melbourne test? We must focus on the better argument, not calling all Aussies liers and cheaters, which is counterproductive to our cause.
No way can we cool down and take all the false charges on our players lying down while it is the opposition who are getting away with all their intended unfair play and win at all costs attitude amidst hugely questionable intentions of the ICC umpires AND referee. Why should we accept this injustice?
Ponting also did not ban Bhajji, it was the match referee. Ponting is told to report what he hears, which he did, so we cannot complain. Likewise, Anil should report bad sledging he hears.
Anil is not a hypocrite like Ponting, nor is he a cheat like Ponting and he isn't a crybaby like these bunch of Australian players are.
Let us all cool down. Australian team is clearly the best team playing cricket, but we have great team also. Let us not look like sore losers.
They might be the best team but they needed as many as 10 decisions to go into their favour to win the match in the last 5 minutes. If this match doesn't spur us to stand up against all the injustice that has been happening to India, nothing else will. We're not sore losers, it was Australia which was acting too desperate to win the match by hook or by crook and the ICC officials were equally desperate to see them succeed in their act.
This is SRT's final Australian tour. He deserves better than to have tour brought down to slanging match. If we boycott tour, maybe Australians boycott upcoming tour to India, which is not good for cricket or BCCI.
I don't care, and I'm sure nor does Sachin who has been deemed to be a liar by ICC match referee.And if Australians boycott us, it'll they who'll suffer, not we.
Let smarter heads prevail, and we should turn our focus to playing good cricket and keeping our mouths shut as example to Australians how to play game properly. Also both teams are guilty of over-appealing, which in my view adds to difficulty for umpires, which causes more bad decisions to be made. Rajesh
In other words, you want us to dance to Australia's tune, whatever it is? You want us to accept everything they diss out with glee? Can I just ask, why?
Fellow Indian cricket fans Roebuck sacked blacks Viv Richards and Joel Garner from Somerset for local young white boys. Tony Greig was once suspended as commentator for suggesting Asian bride must be "mail order bride" while commentating and wedding was going on in background near cricket ground. We should be careful not to accept racism or racists. As Indian who has lived in USA, I have myself been victim of racism. Let us beat Aussies, but never stoop to racism ourselves. Just as we know Aussie team are fond of sleding, we all know Bhajji used monkey word in India and crowd made monkey noises, so he may have said that word again in the heat of battle. Australians don't like racism. Darren Lehmann was suspended for 3 matches when he called Sri Lankans "black c...s". Dean Jones was sacked as commentator for calling Hashan Amla a "terrorist". All of Australians and media agreed with these decisions. The question is whether Bhajji said monkey to Symonds. If he did, then ban is appropriate. If we say he did not, then we are calling Symonds a lier, which is also bad for relations between teams. Maybe all players should wear microphones so all racist comments and sledging can be stopped. Let us all cool down. Rather than complain about Bhajji's ban, we should complain about Clarke's dissent when caught at slip - why was it treated differently from Yuvi's dissent in Melbourne test? We must focus on the better argument, not calling all Aussies liers and cheaters, which is counterproductive to our cause. Ponting also did not ban Bhajji, it was the match referee. Ponting is told to report what he hears, which he did, so we cannot complain. Likewise, Anil should report bad sledging he hears. Let us all cool down. Australian team is clearly the best team playing cricket, but we have great team also. Let us not look like sore losers. This is SRT's final Australian tour. He deserves better than to have tour brought down to slanging match. If we boycott tour, maybe Australians boycott upcoming tour to India, which is not good for cricket or BCCI. Let smarter heads prevail, and we should turn our focus to playing good cricket and keeping our mouths shut as example to Australians how to play game properly. Also both teams are guilty of over-appealing, which in my view adds to difficulty for umpires, which causes more bad decisions to be made. Rajesh
Jayasurya was called a black monkey" by McGrath. Cricket australia had completely swept it under the carpet and asked MvGrath
Jayasurya was called a black monkey" by McGrath. Cricket australia had completely swept it under the carpet and asked McGrath to just deny it. But Sanath Jayasurya had reconfirmed it.

Bucknor stood down I am of course not saying Sachin is a liar. He states quite categorically that he did not hear the word monkey being said, and I believe him wholeheartedly as he has always shown impeccable integrity in the game. Ricky Ponting also told Mike Proctor that he did not hear the monkey word being said, so we should be happy that he displayed honesty in saying that to the hearing. It was Hayden and Clarke who say they heard that word monkey being used towards Symonds and told that to the referee at the hearing. Although I cannot say I trust the word of Clarke, I do not think Hayden is a liar. I think we should stop using the word liar and cheat for all Aussies, as I certainly think Hayden, Lee, Hussey, Stuart Clark and others play the game in the best spirit. Sadly, I am not so sure about Michael Clarke, who some say is a future Australian captain, but on several occasions recently has not seemed to play in the correct spirit. I think Bhajji is a player who likes to take the Aussies on at their game of sledging, unlike SRT who sticks it to them with his supreme batting. While I am very happy with his feisty approach, too often lacking in our team and best shown in his excellent knock in the first innings, the problem was he does not understand the sensitivity of Symonds to the word "monkey", which suggests that he is somehow sub-human primate because of his West Indian background. I therefore think it would be best if he did not say it again. I was at the Mumbai test when the crowd made monkey noises and I was very uncomfortable with this as it is not like Indian crowds to behave so badly. It reminds me of when I have been racially abused by the crowds in England. Anyway, the good news for us is that umpires Rauf and Bowden will replace Steve Bucknor and Benson, who were the root cause behind the problems in this test. Harbhajan's appeal should enable him to play the next two tests, so he can show the Aussies whose best with his bowling, not cheap racist sledges. Hopefully, the two best cricket nations in the world can get back to playing the best cricket in the best spirit. We can still stop Aussies winning 17 tests in a row. Let us focus on that instead of verbal rows. Go India!! (I predict 2-2 final series result)

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/95739.html Mahanama blasts the Aussie media at book launch Rex Clementine August 1, 2001 Former Sri Lankan Test cricketer, Roshan Mahanama, blasted the Australian media for blowing the "Glen McGrath incident" out of proportion at the launch of his autobiography "Retired Hurt" yesterday at the Bandaranaiake Memorial International Conference Hall in Colombo. In his autobiography "Retired Hurt", Mahanama criticizes the Australian cricketers for the amount of sledging they do during play and refers to a particular incident where Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath calls Sanath Jayasuriya a "Black Monkey". However, Mahanama feels this was yet another incident of that tour and he feels that the Aussie media blew the incident out of proportion after he mentioned it on his autobiography. "I went to Melbourne to launch the book peacefully. But the Australian media were there with lot of cameras and focused on the Glenn McGrath incident. It 's sad. This is just one line in the book, which has 235 pages. They have taken this out of proportion and there were threats by McGrath to take legal action," said a disappointed Mahanama. McGrath denies calling Jayasuriya a "black monkey" while Mahanama sticks to his allegation. On the person of Glenn McGrath he further says, "Glenn is a great bowler. But that doesn't allow him to say whatever he wants to the other players" He's also critical of the then Australian skipper Mark Taylor and the present captain Steve Waugh, who suggested that Mahanama's comments were a publicity stunt. "If I wanted publicity I would have gone with the story to a publisher much earlier. This is just a remark in the book," he said. On this particular incident, the former CEO of the Australian Cricket Board, Malcolm Speed had questioned Mahanama as to how he knew about the incident since he didn't play in that particular game, "Even if I had played the match, I wouldn't have been in the middle when the incident occurred," points out Mahanama. " After getting out Sanath came to the dressing room and told us on Glenn's remark. That's how I came to know about it" To prove his point, at the book launch Mahanama played some video clips of the 1996 World Series where it's seen McGrath standing in Jayasuriya's way while the batsman was looking for a run. The video footage also shows McGrath using foul language at the Sri Lankan opener. It also goes onto show the umpire, Steve Randol pointing the incident to the Aussie captain Mark Taylor. The book, which was initially launched at Melbourne, Australia, was launched in Sri Lanka yesterday with the Sinhalese and the English versions. The minister of sports Lakshman Kiriella was the chief Guest at the occasion. Cricketers of Sri Lankan, Indian and New Zealand teams, International cricket commentators, members of parliament, cricket administrators, past cricketers, foreign ambassadors and lots of Mahanama's fans and family members participated. The book starts from Sri Lanka's World Cup victory and goes onto speaks of his reasons to quit the game. He also deals at length on Australian tour of 1995-1996, calling it the "the most controversial tour in my career." © Cricinfo

Sorry Rajesh, I don't agree with you. No way we should take all that has been thrown at us in the 2nd match lying down. Hayden plays the game in the best spirit?? What a joke. None of the Australian players can be trusted, not even Gilchrist. And the incidents that have happened here need to be answered in no uncertain terms. And I'm really surprised how willingly you're assuming that Bhajji would have racially abused Symonds when he has categorically denied it and so has Sachin.

Are we expecting all players to walk now or they are cheats? We all know hardly anyone walks these days (except goody two shoes Mr Gilchrist and a few others). I only expect players to accept the umpire's decision. That is why I am more angry with Michael Clarke than Symonds or Hussey. Although I would prefer a player who knows he's out walks, I am realistic enough to acknowledge that that does not happen. The Australians are no worse than other teams in this regard. I believe it is up to the umpires to get it right, which they clearly did not in this test. I say bring on increased use of new technology in contentious decisions, as clearly it is ridiculous that the viewers can know better than the umpires on the field who is out and who is not. Apart from dissent (as demonstrated by Clarke, who should have been fined at the very least), my other hate is over-appealing, which both teams are guilty of in this series, and many other teams also. Over-appealing should be deterred with fines, but also technology may be able to play a role. For example, what happened to Dravid in the second innings was the result of a combination of over-appealing and bad umpiring. If technology were used to stop batsman being given not out when they have clearly missed the ball, there will be not benefit to be gained from the over-appealing that the Aussies prospered from with Dravid's dismissal in the second innings. If technology can stop all this bad blood between two great teams, it will be well worth it. I love the game of cricket as much as I love India, and it will be sad if we start boycotting tours.

Rajesh -extraordinary times call for extraordinary actions. we have not witnessed a regular cricket test, this was farsical umpiring. if SB is not able to hear Symonds edge and see the deflection, do u think he would have heard Symonds's delivery brushing Dravid's pad? He did not refer the stumping appeal to the 3rd umpire when symonds was batting on 2nd day, later replays showed he was claerly out. Mark Benson is paid to adjudge an appeal, he is not part of the "kumble-ponting" understanding,if he is not sure of clarke's catch, if his leg umpire is also not sure, then automaticallya he should have referred the 3rd umpire. he cant ask the fielder or fielding captain! If Mr.Procter decides that he is satisfied beyond any reasonable doubt that Harbhajan has indeed called Symonds a "monkey", in the absence of any video evidence, then what exactly is "reasonable doubt"? then why 12 cameras and stump mikes and the 2 umpires stading in the middle? If you accept Hayden's and clarke's words( i have not even seen clarke in the same frame with Symonds and Harbhajan during those moments, God only knows how he has heard it" and decides to ignore the statement of Sachin who was there in the middle, and ignores the 2 umpires who say they have not heard.... then......... These are extraordinary circumstances for a team to accept and continue the tour.

Although I would prefer a player who knows he's out walks, I am realistic enough to acknowledge that that does not happen. The Australians are no worse than other teams in this regard. I believe it is up to the umpires to get it right, which they clearly did not in this test.
What about appealing for the bump catches? And what about their boorish behaviours which made them look like pack of wolves instead of sportspersons? How about the unbelievably atrocious umpire in which one decision was given out taking the word of the fielder who had clearly grassed the catch? Ponting brought his entire nation to shame by his rude and borrish and obviously dishonest behaviour. None of the Indians will look forward to the games in which these Australians are participating and it is huge loss to Australian cricket.

Australian and Indian cricket fans and teams both lose, as we have an upcoming tour. Cricket is not as important to Australians as it is to us, which many Indians do not seem to realise. Most of my Australian friends are much more interested in football and tennis than cricket. They just enjoy winning at all costs, which is what we do not like. Probably that is why they nearly always win. I personally prefer our sportsmanship but wish our team could show as much drive as theirs. I think that is why they are threatened by Harbhajan, who is most like them in his belligerent approach to the game, where the rest of our team plays more like old-fashioned English gentlemen.

Guest HariSampath

Wrong Frame

yu9kei12aqn8wtcr.D.0.07ponting.jpg
The above picture is not taken at the moment Ponting caught the ball and grounded it. Of course when Ricky Ponting caught the ball and immediately it touched the ground, it can easily be seen on video he had grounded the ball, but this picture is not that instant. At the actual moment of the ball being grounded, Ponting's right hand was fully stretched, and so this picture may just be a couple of frames later. Doesnt change the fact that the catch was grassed though.
Australian and Indian cricket fans and teams both lose' date=' as we have an upcoming tour.[/quote'] No Cricket is the loser if this farce is continued in the future
Cricket is not as important to Australians as it is to us, which many Indians do not seem to realise. Most of my Australian friends are much more interested in football and tennis than cricket..
So what?Makes no sense
They just enjoy winning at all costs, which is what we do not like. Probably that is why they nearly always win. I personally prefer our sportsmanship but wish our team could show as much drive as theirs. I think that is why they are threatened by Harbhajan, who is most like them in his belligerent approach to the game, where the rest of our team plays more like old-fashioned English gentlemen.
I am sure the billion wrong umpiring calls in their favor had nothing to do with it....They are always threatened by anyone and everyone in the team and will have different tactics against them. Eg. Talking abt Ganguly and Nagma or Sarwan and Lara etc
Australian and Indian cricket fans and teams both lose, as we have an upcoming tour. Cricket is not as important to Australians as it is to us, which many Indians do not seem to realise. Most of my Australian friends are much more interested in football and tennis than cricket. They just enjoy winning at all costs, which is what we do not like. Probably that is why they nearly always win. I personally prefer our sportsmanship but wish our team could show as much drive as theirs. I think that is why they are threatened by Harbhajan, who is most like them in his belligerent approach to the game, where the rest of our team plays more like old-fashioned English gentlemen.
I'm quite happy to say that our players don't take the extreme option of win at all costs, be it their integrity, honesty, nation or whatever. They play cricket with the right sportsman's spirit. Everyone likes to see hard cricket being played in the right spirits, with not an inch given to the opposition. But unfortunately Ricky ponting took it extreme where he has lost the respect of one billion cricket fans. And Indian cricket hasn't lost. In fact I'll be too happy get this tour cancelled and not let Australia tour later this year as well. Unfortunately Ponting lost all of the respect which Waugh, Taylor and Border had built since years in one go. I'd rather not see these boorish Australian captain playing with us again!!
I'm quite happy to say that our players don't take the extreme option of win at all costs, be it their integrity, honesty, nation or whatever. They play cricket with the right sportsman's spirit. Everyone likes to see hard cricket being played in the right spirits, with not an inch given to the opposition. But unfortunately Ricky ponting took it extreme where he has lost the respect of one billion cricket fans. And Indian cricket hasn't lost. In fact I'll be too happy get this tour cancelled and not let Australia tour later this year as well. Unfortunately Ponting lost all of the respect which Waugh, Taylor and Border had built since years in one go. I'd rather not see these boorish Australian captain playing with us again!!
Pack of dogs they have been called by one of their own! I believe the skipper is called dog and vice skippy is called PuP

guys i link this to show it can happen to anyone, not to throw fuel onto the fire, and the team involved just happens to be India, when upon review it was clearly not. umpire tauffel.... 7TmryWZ5VG8 also bit of background on roebuck....it sounds very suspect to me, but who knows what goes on in those english public schools... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/20/nroe20.xml quotes below: "In a statement, the victim said Roebuck told him: "I'm going to cane you now. Then it will be over and I will forgive you and, if I don't cane you, I will feel differently about you." Roebuck asked the boy to bend over and delivered three "forceful strokes" over his clothing. Mr Fenny said: "Roebuck then pulled the boy towards him, in what appeared to be an act of affection. He then asked if he could look at the marks on the boy's buttocks, something which he in fact did." Another boy was beaten by Roebuck when he failed to keep up on a run. "He, too, was left feeling considerable distress and humiliation." A third boy, who now plays for a local team, received similar treatment, being beaten by Roebuck and asked to show the marks."