India should have saved it

OK, I'm not going to launch into an inflammatory diatribe as Dhondy did. And yes, I am as enraged as anyone over the umpiring, which hit an absolute nadir here - and that at a time when match-after-match the officials are exposed by TV and technology. But those saying "India played a fantastic match and deserved to win" are I fear rather blinkered. Here's the reality. India played extremely well on the first 3 days. In fact surprisingly well given the Melbourne debacle. They were focused in the field, made the most of their depleted bowling resources and the batsmen built their innings purposefully. But something went wrong on the 3rd evening. For the Indian side that came out on the 4th day was a different unit. They were quite listless in the field. The Ponting dismissal should have been an enormous filip to the Indians. But instead, the game was allowed to drift thereafter. As Hayden and Hussey built their partnership, the Indians seemed to be going through the motions - bowling in the hope that the Australians would somehow pull an Adelaide and self-destruct. Was not going to happen. Even after Kumble got 2 in 2 when the Indians had a very good chance, things did not change. Symonds came in, was held scoreless for 12 balls, and with pressure starting to build, he pushed a ball to mid off and stole a single to a comatosed Harbhajan that was never there. It was one moment, but symptomatic of the Indians' performance on that 4th day. Then on the 5th day, the batting was a pale shadow of the first innings. Aside from Dravid and Ganguly, none of the batsmen looked up to the challenge. Tendulkar, who had jealously guarded his not out status at the end of the first innings (refusing to farm the strike) got out for the umpteenth time dragging the ball on. It was an innocuous delivery. Then Yuvraj and Jaffer, who would have been more useful as ball boys. Even at the end ... RP Singh and Ishant had to last 5 balls between them against a part-time spinner -- then Kumble would have got the strike back with a chance to farm the bowling for the few minutes left in the match. But RP lasted 1 ball and Ishant 2. Do you think in a similar situation the Aussie #10 and #11 or even England's would have given it away like that? If the Indian batsmen had all showed half the courage and intensity of Kumble then Australia would never have so much as sniffed victory. Yes, the umpiring was unbelievably bad -- but ultimately, India should have been going to Perth 1 down and they have themselves to blame for letting it slip away.

Great post, lasereyes, all valid points. Yes, we could have still saved the game after all the umpiring screwups. Infact we almost did. But look at how the umpiring screw ups have turned the test match on its head ? Do we really have to fight so many odds to win/save a test match ? Whats the point in playing a test match, when the dice is heavily loaded against you. They might as well, hand over the BG-trophy to Australia. Why bother playing ? BG-trophy'04 too was marred by bad umpiring errors. But in that series, Aussies were the better team & deserved to win on merit. Am not so sure, they earned their victory in this test.

usually one batsman is good enough to save a test. RD was playing that role. He was given out, chalo theek hai. Then SG started playing that role. Then he was out too!! Seriously dude, think
Actually 1 batsman is not enough. On occasions, 1 player bats through (e.g. Atherton at Jo'burg a few years ago) but even then he needs players to stay with him. But more often than not, it's several players making contributions, as with England at the Oval. To say the umpiring was the sole cause on the final day is unrealistic. Dravid should have been out earlier when he edged one to Symonds (actually he shouldn't since it was a no ball not given, but that's another story). And Ganguly himself was dropped off Clark. So neither was playing a totally secure innings anyway. But even then, India reached the final 10 overs with 4 wickets left and the Aussies running out of ideas. I'm an eternal pessimist and I thought the game was going to be saved. And the final over -- 3 wickets in 4 balls off Michael Clarke of all people? Come on.
Were you putting the kettle on when... Hussey was plumb lbw not given by Benson? Hussey edged one down leg side not given? Kumble denied the hatrick to a ball to Symonds that looked at least as out as the one that got RP Singh?
No I saw both the Hussey decisions and they were both out. In fact, I did a count and it was 9-2 against India -- absolutely atrocious and unconscionable. And yes, it would be deflating to see that. But these guys are professionals. You have to keep trying things and trying to winkle out a wicket. Otherwise, you might as well forfeit the game and save us all the pain of it. Look at how Australia played mind games with Tendulkar bringing Gilchrist up to the stumps to Stuart Clark. Why didn't Kumble try stuff like putting fielders in the batsman's face or switching the spinners' ends or something different? BTW, the Kumble hat-trick ball was not the same as RP's. Hawk Eye showed the ball going quite a bit over to Symonds, whereas RP's was hitting the bails -- close but out.
To say the umpiring was the sole cause on the final day is unrealistic. Dravid should have been out earlier when he edged one to Symonds (actually he shouldn't since it was a no ball not given, but that's another story). And Ganguly himself was dropped off Clark. So neither was playing a totally secure innings anyway. But even then, India reached the final 10 overs with 4 wickets left and the Aussies running out of ideas. I'm an eternal pessimist and I thought the game was going to be saved. And the final over -- 3 wickets in 4 balls off Michael Clarke of all people? Come on.
Why look at the final day in isolation, though ? We got to the final day after the first 4 days, didnt we ? Anyways, even if we do analyse the final day in isolation, your arguments that Dravid & Ganguly should have been out, but not (because they were dropped), holds no water. Players dropping catches, is part of cricketing skills or the lack of it. If we use that line of argument, India is a far worser fielding unit than the Aussies & hence the Aussies would be the most undeserving victors in all contests against us. The point really is, cricketing skills and not umpiring screw ups must decide the fate of the game. Its understandable to have one or two umpiring gaffes in a test match, but not so many against one team. India could have still saved the game, but we shouldnt have gotten to that point, in the first place.
Great post, lasereyes, all valid points. Yes, we could have still saved the game after all the umpiring screwups. Infact we almost did. But look at how the umpiring screw ups have turned the test match on its head ? Do we really have to fight so many odds to win/save a test match ? Whats the point in playing a test match, when the dice is heavily loaded against you. They might as well, hand over the BG-trophy to Australia. Why bother playing ? BG-trophy'04 too was marred by bad umpiring errors. But in that series, Aussies were the better team & deserved to win on merit. Am not so sure, they earned their victory in this test.
I agree here -- there was a total miscarriage of justice. Australia did not deserve to win -- in fact, they might have lost if the Symonds and Ponting decisions had been given on the first day (although I have an idea they would have found a way out - they most of the time do). So no arguments there. But I still think India had the capability to save this match - and I would have been so-oo proud of them if they had done it. It would have been a better performance than beating England this summer or winning the 20/20 World Cup.
Why look at the final day in isolation, though ? We got to the final day after the first 4 days, didnt we ? Anyways, even if we do analyse the final day in isolation, your arguments that Dravid & Ganguly should have been out, but not (because they were dropped), holds no water. Players dropping catches, is part of cricketing skills or the lack of it. If we use that line of argument, India is a far worser fielding unit than the Aussies & hence the Aussies would be the most undeserving victors in all contests against us. The point really is, cricketing skills and not umpiring screw ups must decide the fate of the game. Its understandable to have one or two umpiring gaffes in a test match, but not so many against one team. India could have still saved the game, but we shouldnt have gotten to that point, in the first place.
Agree with that --- but they are two separate points, right?

good points le in the 'complaints' scenario (take my word, i am experienced in this area - makes me sound like someone from Vancouver!) the blowup is usually not related to one major problem. it is always the additive effect of several issues that are manifest as one issue - issues that people have taken in their stride perhaps but when added up are increasingly annoying. And then, the fuse blows with one more incident. Such as it did today with the Dravid & Ganguly dismissals. The problem had been brewing from Day 1, and culminated today. The majority of posters here are complaining about the whole game, though in effect the complaint looks mainly against Day 5.

I really believe, India losing the Sydney test was for the good. 1) A draw wont shock our folks (BCCI, players) enough to evoke a strong reaction. Bucknor would still be officiating in all likelihood if the test had drawn 2) I want the world to remember how Aussies got their 16th record equalling (breaking ?) victory. 3) I want the Aussie media, ICC et all to see how a test match can lead to absurd results because of umpiring screwups. Hopefully all this can accelerate the introduction of technology into the game. Ofcourse, none of this would have happened because of a drawn test match.

good points le The majority of posters here are complaining about the whole game, though in effect the complaint looks mainly against Day 5.
Yes I know this -- my point was really that India played very well on the first 3 days, but much more insipidly on the 4th and 5th days. It's possible they reached breaking point but given that they had fought back from adversity after the first 2 days, I'd have thought being so close to saving the game, it would have strengthened their resolve. It certainly did with Dravid, Ganguly and Kumble, but 3 in the end wasn't enough. Jaffer and Yuvraj are especially culpable -- couldn't last 20 minutes cumulatively in the match. Jaffer should never again play for India; and Yuvraj needs to learn the elementary skills of playing spin before he is given another chance. There are better plays in the domestic game, particularly Badrinath and Rohit Sharma and Parthiv Patel
I really believe, India losing the Sydney test was for the good. 1) A draw wont shock our folks (BCCI, players) enough to evoke a strong reaction. Bucknor would still be officiating in all likelihood if the test had drawn 2) I want the world to remember how Aussies got their 16th record equalling (breaking ?) victory. 3) I want the Aussie media, ICC et all to see how a test match can lead to absurd results because of umpiring screwups. Hopefully all this can accelerate the introduction of technology into the game. Ofcourse, none of this would have happened because of a drawn test match.
I'd love to believe this is true -- but the vehemence of India's indignation will diminish by the day. I'm not convinced the BCCI will force the ICC to take action -- they only care about money, not India's results - and by that yardstick, things are going swimmingly.