Is Brett Lee the only "clean" Aussie star?

I am clutching at straws here, but in looking for something positive about the Australian team, I think of Brett Lee. He is skilled and aggressive, but does not let his aggression get the better of him. He also does not whine, lie and show disrespect to the game. There may be others like Hussey, too, but Lee came to my mind first. Any takers?

ah are we talking of the big brute of a fast bowler who bad mouths a 19 year old (A number 11 in the classical mould in all be told) playing his third test? But then i guess i have been spoiled by Walsh and Ambrose and people of their ilk.
Did he? I missed it. What did he say? The reason I thought of him was that he didn't seem to have any problem with Harbhajan touching/hitting/running into him or whatever, but Symonds got testy when that happened. Maybe they were all in on the "let's irritate Harbhajan" plan. Who knows? Am just trying to shed the hate that has built up in me in the last few days.

Brett is a competitive cricketer, but he is also a true sport. He is not the " Do whatever it takes to win" sorta guy. I remember, in the WC 2003, Brett took a hat-trick against Kenya. One of his first dismissals was a short ball he bowled to a Kenyan batsman, that deflected off the Kenyan batsman's left elbow on to the stumps. Lee stopped his post-wicket celebrations mid-way once he realized the batsman was badly hurt. I also have huge respect for Gilly too and to an extent, Hayden.

Did he? I missed it. What did he say? The reason I thought of him was that he didn't seem to have any problem with Harbhajan touching/hitting/running into him or whatever' date=' but Symonds got testy when that happened. Maybe they were all in on the "let's irritate Harbhajan" plan. Who knows? Am just trying to shed the hate that has built up in me in the last few days.[/quote'] Even the commentators were speaking about it. Though I can understand him, to be hit fr a four down the ground even if it is uppish by a genuine number 11 is no fun. But compared t ponting i would say he is a saint.
hes not clean....hes australian
So is Gilchrist and so was Steve Waugh and so was Border. None were perfect but they had my respect.
I also have huge respect for Gilly too and to an extent' date=' Hayden.[/quote'] I have a great deal of respect for Bung based on how he's turned himself around in the last 18 months, after being such a perennial underachiever/crap bowler in tests for so long. He's become a genuine strike bowler, capable of hostile, prolonged spells and dismissing the top batsmen. Hayden - major respect for him. Great player, amazing mental strength - I felt halfway into the 05 Ashes that his career was over, but the way he's bounced back from that form patch at this age, bludgeoned his way back into the ODI team and his form in all types of the game has just been breathtaking. With Gilchrist, I find him a sanctimonious hypocrite, no matter how great a player he is. It's surprising that Warne's painted in such a negative light by the media while Gilchrist is portrayed as a saint equivalent at times. Warne for the last several years of his career behaved himself on the field. Gilchrist comments about the need to walk, believing fielders and claims he 'only appeals when he's sure it's out', then has a tendency to get into spats with batsmen for not walking/being out, appeals hysterically/ridiculously on a good number of occasions, and on top of that has been called up for dissent on at least one occasion. I'd think of him a lot higher if he didn't talk himself up as a paragon of virtue from time to time. (As far as other 'clean' Aussie stars btw - there's Jaques.And Clark. :D)

Salil, as someone who has considerable knowledge of Australia and Aussie culture, apart from being an Indian, I think you are the best person to answer to this question. Is it a cultural thing with the Aussies ? Like to finger-gesture people towards them ? Or just mild swearing every now then ? Rarely do i see an Aus player try to be politically correct, there is always some amount of brashness in them. Is that a cultural thing ?

I'd think of him a lot higher if he didn't talk himself up as a paragon of virtue from time to time.
He doesn't mate. Another commonly held perception. At best (or worst), he's only responded to questions about him walking. As any other keeper will attest, when the ball makes a noise as it passes pad & bat (as in RD's case) a keeper will appeal. Of course they will. It's then up to the umpire.

mm, I realise this is not directed to me but it's very ambiguous. "Is it a cultural thing with the Aussies ? Like to finger-gesture people towards them ? Or just mild swearing every now then ?" Is what a cultural thing ? Perhaps you could rephrase it.

He doesn't mate. Another commonly held perception. At best (or worst)' date=' he's only responded to questions about him walking.[/quote'] No, he's made comments to the media before saying that he only appeals when he's sure it's out. And even if he walks, it doesn't give him the right to get into verbal pissfests with Craig McMillan as he did a couple of years ago v. NZ because McMillan nicked one and stood his ground while Gilchrist kept screaming at him to walk because he was out.
mm, I realise this is not directed to me but it's very ambiguous. " Is it a cultural thing with the Aussies ? Like to finger-gesture people towards them ? Or just mild swearing every now then ?" Is what a cultural thing ? Perhaps you could rephrase it.
To be more specific Donny, Finger-gesturing people towards oneself is generally considered rude in Indian culture, so it is for someone to comment " You sneaky B@stard" in a lighter vein. How does it work in Australia ?

as in if i point my finger at you waving it towards me? no that is not rude. showing the soles of your feet to anyone in indo-china, thailand etc is considered rude, not in aust. waving with your left hand, shaking someone with your left hand in islamic countries is not on, the spitting everyone does in china is considered rude in aust but not in china.... i was in vietnam and i saw many males walking down the street holding hands....this is a friendship thing, not something else:haha:......this wouldn't happen in sydney ( well, certain parts yes :haha: ) put it down to different cultures....as for word bastard, no, not offensive....maybe 80 years ago yes but not now...mild swearing ok, its not really considered swearing....