So when will Pappu and Sonia Gandhi quit Congress?

chewy

14 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

I don't think Western-style centrally planned govts. work in India. We've been through that phase. Welfarism, on the other hand, will still continue to be part of macro economic solutions. Even the BJP for that matter practices welfarism (Jeevan Bheema, LPG cylinder, Rs. 6000 Doles for pregnant women etc.). It's an inescapable aspect of governance in India and the less corrupt our political leaders, the greater the gains for people in terms of welfare schemes (my little theory). 

It won't as it stands now, predominantly due to the weakness in our judicial & law enforcement systems. This is not a hard remedy for India, because IMO Indian judiciary & law enforcement does not suffer from a ethical & culture problem, it suffers from material problem. Reality is, for India to function like a western-style centrally planned govt., it will need to spend 5-10x more than we do and similarly expand 3-4 times the current size. 

I'm not sure the Scandinavian model, which is based on high taxation rates, will be embraced by Indians. We really hate paying taxes (congenital problem). So some sort of hybrid Indian model may have to be adopted which is mostly market based, with a touch of necessary welfarism and minimal govt. regulation. 

Perhaps, perhaps not. Many moons ago, we apparently didn't mind spending on a grand, state level as some of the late classical/early-medeival state works we've remaining. From what we have in our classical literature surviving from Magadha days, we can see that we were kind of a case of 'western ideals, 2000 years before the west today' in government systems: detailed organization & manpower allocation. Those were tax-revenue based. Maybe if one day we can eliminate poverty, we can can give tax-funded services to all as a part of state machinery. 

There are innovative minds in the country at SME level. What they need is the right kind of push, less govt. harassment and a level playing field vis a vis MNCs. Whichever party/ies can provide that to the people in the best way possible, they will dominate Indian politics in the near future. 

Yeah. But that is an entirely different ball-game. I don't think even NaMo has the 'cojones' to try and reform the Indian civil services systems, which is where the origin of a lot of red-tape is. 

23 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

India's problem has been the Hindi belt who has kept obsessing with caste and communal politics instead of development.

It seems to be changing now and more and more getting development focussed. However, we still have the regional parties like Sena, Akali, DMK, AIADMK, TMC, BJD, JDU, RJD, TDP, YSRC, NC, PDP, the many regional parties in the NE, all of whose main focus is indulging in regional populism. We need few of these regional parties and move towards more of a 2 or 3 national party structure.