Could India become 'cricket self sufficient'?

msb1991

Hi all, I was just wondering if India, with their vast population and rapidly growing economy could become a self sufficient nation in terms of cricket. Would it be possible that in 10-20 years time, they could achieve a state where they no longer send their players to England to play League Cricket because India would have full academy programmes in the winter. India do not even have their own coaching qualification, this would be the first of many steps to achieving a state where they no longer have to import trainers and physios because they will be trained in Indians through the Indian system. The only imported coaches would be the best of their division. On a lower scale, states would also be self sufficient. For example, instead of just the Future Cricket Academy in Rajasthan, there will be one in every state. Initially with imported coaches; they can teach young coaches their methods. This will give India an abundance of coaches and support staff and a self sufficiency to keep producing them. On a much larger scale, India would not need to scout and find John Gloster and Gary Kirsten for the national team, because they could simply pick the best from the domestic circuit. However, an initial, non self sufficience and massive import of coaches and coach training at the lower levels would be needed in all depatments. As Stalin said, a step back so that one can leap forward. The question is: Is it possible? Would it be worth it?

i wonder if india would ever become so "self-sufficient" that we woudnt even play internationally, and rather just play within our own country. just like american baseball and basketball. they have international taems but, well, they suck and nobody really cares about them. i wonder if the IPL and ICL have started that kind of trend..

you can only measure yourself truly competing against other countries...
Not really and not necessary either. Look at football(soccer to those who are way too Americanized) - the highest level and most competetive matches are in general the UEFA and Champion's league along with the Italian and Spanish league soccer. Look at ice hockey - players from the world over come to play in the NHL and it is the most competetive and highest level of hockey. I am not saying abolish international cricket- i am all for the occasional international game like in soccer/hockey and the occasional internatonal competition. But it is my observation that cricket has become way too politicized and way too heated due to the nationalism aspect of it- a sport does not need nationalism to be appreciated and i think cricket should look towards football, hockey etc. to excel in domestic league structure- where international player 'quotas' are there and cricket can be instead appreciated for the sport it is.
i wonder if india would ever become so "self-sufficient" that we woudnt even play internationally' date=' and rather just play within our own country. just like american baseball and basketball. they have international taems but, well, they suck and nobody really cares about them. i wonder if the IPL and ICL have started that kind of trend..[/quote'] So you wonder if India can play with themselves one day. It seems they already are.
Hi all, I was just wondering if India, with their vast population and rapidly growing economy could become a self sufficient nation in terms of cricket. Would it be possible that in 10-20 years time, they could achieve a state where they no longer send their players to England to play League Cricket because India would have full academy programmes in the winter. India do not even have their own coaching qualification, this would be the first of many steps to achieving a state where they no longer have to import trainers and physios because they will be trained in Indians through the Indian system. The only imported coaches would be the best of their division. On a lower scale, states would also be self sufficient. For example, instead of just the Future Cricket Academy in Rajasthan, there will be one in every state. Initially with imported coaches; they can teach young coaches their methods. This will give India an abundance of coaches and support staff and a self sufficiency to keep producing them. On a much larger scale, India would not need to scout and find John Gloster and Gary Kirsten for the national team, because they could simply pick the best from the domestic circuit. However, an initial, non self sufficience and massive import of coaches and coach training at the lower levels would be needed in all depatments. As Stalin said, a step back so that one can leap forward. The question is: Is it possible? Would it be worth it?
India can attain all these things that you've mentioned, but it won't. Because our board is not interested in the development and improvement of the game but are interested in the money it fetches here. If even one tenth of their attention is given towards this, we can achieve many things, but sadly even that will not be given to the game.

I have a further addition to my theoretical plan and that would be the high turnover of former international stars as consultants. For example, Ganguly may not be a perfect batting coach due to his unorthadox technique and lack of qualifications, but he would be good at teaching people the mental aspect of batting and can be used as a consultant for certain players.

BCCI can start a new cricket league and invite other countries to participate, making ICC useless but i dont really see a point of having all that lets work on improving what we have
no offense but players would probably prefer their won countries or better country cricket than playing in india...i think you will see these guns for hire going their for 50 days maximum, then leaving with the cheques.... india drastically overestimates the attraction of the country to play in
also' date=' what would you do if you weren't allowed to import foreign coaches for the indian side? :hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] i think we'd be better off, if not for the dimwit BCCI officials. but the real question is, What would the FOREIGN coaches do if we din't import them??