Should BCCI let India's B players compete in foreign T20 leagues?

Should BCCI let India's B players compete in foreign T20 leagues?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should BCCI let India's B players compete in foreign T20 leagues?

2 minutes ago, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

It won't, because women's cricket doesn't sell in India so BCCI isn't going to bother with a women's IPL. Funding isn't the issue, intent is.

I disagree. There is a market for any type of cricket in India, and the women's team has been very successful in recent times.

15 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

I disagree. There is a market for any type of cricket in India, and the women's team has been very successful in recent times.

You can disagree all you want. The fact is that there is no interest in women's cricket either from the fans (looking at the poor attendances) or broadcasters (judging from the limited coverage), let alone sponsors. Hell, I don't think there's much interest in our women's team here at ICF either.

Each and every player has a right to earn money to feed themselves and their family. BCCI should not have a say in it if the players are not in the pay grade contract. Either way, the more different conditions these players are exposed to, the better it is for team india.

3 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Yes, playing in a mediocre league with flat pitches and Henriques clone for bowlers is the way to improve your game.

Isn't playing a long tournament in aus a good enough experience. Maybe small but IPL has played a meaningful part in warners success. 

25 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

With (un)due respect, you are talking like someone without a clue or experience in taking strategic business calls. IPL is BCCI's most prized asset today, and they would be fools to act in a way that in *anyway* imperils that brand. Allowing Indian players, within national scheme of things or not, to foreign leagues does exactly that. Thankfully, IPL managers are smarter than you in protecting their asset, and you won't EVER see any change on this front.

Indian fringe players already play along with the biggest names in IPL, something they won't experience in mediocre leagues like BBL that don't feature their own national players. IPL players also routinely play before big and hostile crowds. The only experience they would miss out on is playing on Aussie roads, not really the hardest challenge in cricket. Even if it were, the TRADEOFF is too lopsided for BCCI to permit Indian players in overseas league.

There's absolutely no logic in saying that IPL's brand will be in peril by sending the B players to play in the BBL. Sponsors and advertisers do not care for India's B players. They care for our A players. Besides, players like Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard play multiple leagues outside of the IPL but the fan and sponsor interest during the IPL is the same for them regardless.

Indian fringe players don't play the IPL when the BBL's going on, so I don't know what your point is by comparing it with the IPL. The comparison should be between BBL and Indian domestic cricket, which is what they would be playing at that time, and that's way more mediocre than the BBL and played in front of no crowds at all.

There's absolutely no logic in saying that IPL's brand will be in peril by sending the B players to play in the BBL. Sponsors and advertisers do not care for India's B players. They care for our A players. Besides, players like Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard play multiple leagues outside of the IPL but the fan and sponsor interest during the IPL is the same for them regardless.

Indian fringe players don't play the IPL when the BBL's going on, so I don't know what your point is by comparing it with the IPL. The comparison should be between BBL and Indian domestic cricket, which is what they would be playing at that time, and that's way more mediocre than the BBL and played in front of no crowds at all.

We play our domestic trophy during the Big bash.

No player ever should be allowed skip Indian domestic cricket to play domestic cricket in another country.

So regardless of any other reasons the simple answer is No.

10 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

We play our domestic trophy during the Big bash.

No player ever should be allowed skip Indian domestic cricket to play domestic cricket in another country.

So regardless of any other reasons the simple answer is No.

This thread wasn't regarding the Big Bash in particular but foreign leagues in general, including those in England, South Africa etc.

11 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Any player that wants to skip Indian domestic cricket should be banned from playing in the domestics for next season.

That's just not on.The sanctity of our domestic cricket is most important and should be preserved at all costs.

Disagree. India is still not a strong touring side. Allowing players to play overseas instead of in the familiar conditions at home might be a good thing. Would also create chances for more players in Indian domestic cricket.

Disagree. India is still not a strong touring side. Allowing players to play overseas instead of in the familiar conditions at home might be a good thing. Would also create chances for more players in Indian domestic cricket.

Yeah allow them if they want to play in their FC tournament.

35 minutes ago, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

Ranji Trophy matters. The rest isn't that important.

If Ranji Trophy mattered to BCCI, State Associations and Indian public then Ranji Trophy players might get paid more than peanuts, practise on facilities that represent the " biggest and weathyist " cricket nation and the general public would support it .

4 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

The people who deal with brands and it management for a living know exactly how allowing Indian players in overseas league would dilute IPL's appeal. Your constant whining with non-arguments here isn't going to change that.

And did you seriously compare Indian first class with fluff that is BBL. I think I am done with this thread now. You should do yourself a favor and delete your account before further embarrassing yourself.

You obviously neither deal with brands nor are in management or you would've pointed it out already, so you can't pretend to know what people in that field think. Stop pretending to be a know-it-all, because it's clear to see you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I like how you say I'm giving non-arguments when you have absolutely no counter-arguments to them except "those in management know what they're doing (but I don't)". :hysterical:

"I am done with this thread now" is just your way of saying, "I have no more points to make because I can make none". Buzz off, kid.

24 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

If Ranji Trophy mattered to BCCI, State Associations and Indian public then Ranji Trophy players might get paid more than peanuts, practise on facilities that represent the " biggest and weathyist " cricket nation and the general public would support it .

That was exactly what BCCI was trying to fix with higher salary for domestic players and pension for domestic players once their playing days are over but unfortunately ICC did a highway robbery in cahoots with Shashank Manohar and rest of the boards who couldn't stomach India's financial success :sad: 

15 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

That was exactly what BCCI was trying to fix with higher salary for domestic players and pension for domestic players once their playing days are over but unfortunately ICC did a highway robbery in cahoots with Shashank Manohar and rest of the boards who couldn't stomach India's financial success :sad: 

Here we go again, everyones fault but BCCI and State Associations. What about all the money previous years?

Why do ECB, CA NZ SA with a lot less money provide much better practise facilities, money for first class cricketers and also have organised social cricket on great facilities?

Maybe because all those countries dont have thousands of " office bearers, administrators" and all money in the game in those countries is for the benifit of cricket and those that play cricket, whether first class or social and all money is accounted for.

14 minutes ago, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

You obviously neither deal with brands nor are in management or you would've pointed it out already, so you can't pretend to know what people in that field think. Stop pretending to be a know-it-all, because it's clear to see you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I like how you say I'm giving non-arguments when you have absolutely no counter-arguments to them except "those in management know what they're doing (but I don't)". :hysterical:

"I am done with this thread now" is just your way of saying, "I have no more points to make because I can make none". Buzz off, kid.

I'm sorry to say but the fact you neither understand nor get how allowing Indian domestic players in foreign leagues will damage the IPL brand, makes me side with @sarchasm. You are mixing up two things... A) Domestic players may improve their game and earn more money if they are able to be picked in other leagues, and B) BCCI and its biggest asset (IPL) will lose its USP and thus tarnish its brand value.

The statements A and B are not mutually exclusive but in the bigger scheme of things point B is far more important than the benefits that might occur with point A. Let me give you a couple of examples to show the fallacy of your position...

Example 1: Say someone purchases a franchise in SL or B'desh T20 league for a mere fraction of the cost of an IPL franchise. This franchise can then decide to load up the team with Indian domestic players - for B'desh I would fill it up with most of Bengal players and for SL I would put in more Tamil and Kerala players. I would then market the league and specifically the team to Indian audience, especially the Bengal or Tamil/Kerala market. How can you say such an approach doesn't dilute IPL and lower the valuation of KKR or CSK in this case?

Example 2: Another headache is say a foreign league backs a few Indian "B" players as you mention. And suddenly one or more of them takes off like a Bumrah or becomes a 6 hitting monster like an Indian version of Maxwell - sort of better version of Rahul Tripathi. Then what would the BCCI do? Bring the said player(s) back and null & void the contract with the foreign league? This is a slippery slope and you wouldn't want to go down this path.

And I'm not even bringing up the broadcasters concerns (those who paid millions for IPL's rights) or the sponsor or advertiser's concers (companies which agreed to advertise during IPL) or even the concerns of franchises which bid a fortune on IPL franchises. You have no idea the repercussions on IPL of the decision of allowing Indian players to play in a foreign T20 league and I would suggest talk to anyone who has worked on branding or valuation of brands on the impact such a decision would have.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I'm sorry to say but the fact you neither understand nor get how allowing Indian domestic players in foreign leagues will damage the IPL brand, makes me side with @sarchasm. You are mixing up two things... A) Domestic players may improve their game and earn more money if they are able to be picked in other leagues, and B) BCCI and its biggest asset (IPL) will lose its USP and thus tarnish its brand value.

The statements A and B are not mutually exclusive but in the bigger scheme of things point B is far more important than the benefits that might occur with point A. Let me give you a couple of examples to show the fallacy of your position...

Example 1: Say someone purchases a franchise in SL or B'desh T20 league for a mere fraction of the cost of an IPL franchise. This franchise can then decide to load up the team with Indian domestic players - for B'desh I would fill it up with most of Bengal players and for SL I would put in more Tamil and Kerala players. I would then market the league and specifically the team to Indian audience, especially the Bengal or Tamil/Kerala market. How can you say such an approach doesn't dilute IPL and lower the valuation of KKR or CSK in this case?

Example 2: Another headache is say a foreign league backs a few Indian "B" players as you mention. And suddenly one or more of them takes off like a Bumrah or becomes a 6 hitting monster like an Indian version of Maxwell - sort of better version of Rahul Tripathi. Then what would the BCCI do? Bring the said player(s) back and null & void the contract with the foreign league? This is a slippery slope and you wouldn't want to go down this path.

And I'm not even bringing up the broadcasters concerns (those who paid millions for IPL's rights) or the sponsor or advertiser's concers (companies which agreed to advertise during IPL) or even the concerns of franchises which bid a fortune on IPL franchises. You have no idea the repercussions on IPL of the decision of allowing Indian players to play in a foreign T20 league and I would suggest talk to anyone who has worked on branding or valuation of brands on the impact such a decision would have.

I don't think Bangladesh or Sri Lanka has a T20 league at this point of time. The leagues I'm talking about are those in Australia, England and South Africa and they wouldn't fill it up with Indian B players.

If a talent takes off in a foreign league, I don't know why would bring him back in the middle of the tournament unless you pick him in the national team. If that happens, the franchise won't take any objections as even in the IPL, players leave midway through the tournament for national duty.

Broadcasters and sponsors are only going to fret if the likes of Kohli or Dhoni play a foreign league. A Rahul Tripathi or Basil Thampi playing in England or South Africa isn't going to cause grey hair to any concerned stakeholder. If they were draws, sponsors would have been investing in domestic cricket, which they aren't.