Tendulkar's batting exploits while chasing a big total in 2nd Inn

fineleg

Where was that thread on chasing again? Something like yes, SRT actually has done well while chasing 275+ totals. Will be good reading.
well the england - india series when india were chasing 318 (and eventually won); 2004 series versus pakistan in the second game chasing 330 odd; two of the four ODIs he played in the 2005 series against pakistan in pakistan; but lately yes he has been doing well only while batting first.

one must understand that batting second, chasing a huge total is a bit of a lottery. if you start slow and then are dismissed just when you get your eye in, the lynch mob is out to get you for "wasting" balls; on the contrary if you start big, you run the risk of being dismissed cheap. take comfort that we dont capitulate completely, and that gambhir might actually have grasped the concept of "realizing your potential". we just need a strategy amongst our fast bowlers as to how to combat rampaging batsmen.

ppl think i dont like Tendulkar, well if thats what they wanna think, go ahead. i cannot explain my POV everytime. look i like Tendulkar, but very angry and frustrated, that he has played below his potential - not once, not twice, but many many times!!!. This guy has(had) so much potential and talent, and could have taken India to a totally different level. but he has not realized even 80% 70% of the potential.

ppl think i dont like Tendulkar, well if thats what they wanna think, go ahead. i cannot explain my POV everytime. look i like Tendulkar, but very angry and frustrated, that he has played below his potential - not once, not twice, but many many times!!!. This guy has(had) so much potential and talent, and could have taken India to a totally different level. but he has not realized even 80% of the potential.
People like you expect God like things from him and when he fails to live up to the God like standards you set for him, start bashing him and his more objective fans of elevating him to a God like status. Problem lies in your God like expectations from who is in the end merely the best batsman of his generation.

Not true, shwetabh. Its not like we are expecting a 100 or even a 50 everytime from SRT. Some may, and I agree it is unreasonable. Our expecations are more reasonable. But under pressure matches, atleast more than half he should be helping us. Not a very unreasonable expectation from someone who is classified as a genius in terms of batting. And chasing big or 2nd inn can be as clutch and pressure situation as it can get! I think if people take an unbiased look, they will see SRT has disappointed fans too many times.

Guest whineleg
ppl think i dont like Tendulkar, well if thats what they wanna think, go ahead. i cannot explain my POV everytime. look i like Tendulkar, but very angry and frustrated, that he has played below his potential - not once, not twice, but many many times!!!. This guy has(had) so much potential and talent, and could have taken India to a totally different level. but he has not realized even 80% 70% of the potential.
completely agree, but the number should be 7% not 70%.
May be you should move to Pakistan ' date=' after all this kind of threads bashing Sachin are encouraged there... Just visit PakPassion and you will know what I am talking about.[/quote'] If you compare ths standards of what should eb expressed to the "scum of the earth" that's your problem- not FLs Pakistanis don't discuss but rather vomit on their forums- why do we need to lose our "democratic" sanity based on the rhetorics of those filthy fanatics???

1 year ago ... these guys brought up this whole topic of 2nd innings run chases in ODIs. He proved them all wrong last year. Then they decided they need something else to complain about, so they started talking about his average in last 10 matches against Aus, but then he performed well in the Future Cup 2007, so they were proved wrong again. Then they brought up his strike rate. Then in his next few innings, he showed he could still make big scores at a 100+ SR, so they were proved wrong again. Then they brought up SRT's test form and said he should be dropped from the Test side, and well, we all know what happened there. Some person here, I don't know who it is (I don't want to accuse the wrong person) made me commit to a success metric for Sachin's next 2 test series (basically he said that SRT wont average over 40 in the next 2 series against Pak and Aus). Well he averaged about 60 and 80 respectively, so once again they were proved wrong. Now they have run out of criticism, so they have just gone back to the start. It seems like everyone is aloud to have a few bad scores except for Sachin. However, the more they question him the more he proves them wrong, so for an SRT fan like me ... we can be sure he'll prove them all wrong again.

Actually, All these frequent and mostly unjustified criticism of Sachin is because of the high standards that he has set, till now in his career. No other Indian batsman, or for that matter world batsman has been subject such harsh benchmarks. Sachin has been SO consistent, for SO long, that even if he goes 3-4 innings without a big score, we all tend to get a bit twitchy. I have essentially given up Defending Sachin. It takes someone with an obvious bias or distinct lack of cricketing intelligence to raise questions about his place in the side or the kind of contribution he has made in ODIs. Those who were vehemently calling for him to dropped from the national side even till 10 months ago, have now mellowed down in admiration. Sachin has had to live with unfair criticism and scrutiny all his life. If an English batsman had achieved a third of what he has done so far, he would have been knighted by now. Its only some of us, the passionate Indian fans, who expect him to do super-human things on the cricketing field. People fail to realize that, at an age when 23 year olds are giving up cricket sighting depression and loss of motivation, Sachin has been playing non-stop cricket for almost 2 decades now, and yet, has been able to maintain such high standards. Give him a break, he is after, only human. Unfortunately for Tendulkar, the glass is always half empty.

Actually, All these frequent and mostly unjustified criticism of Sachin is because of the high standards that he has set, till now in his career. No other Indian batsman, or for that matter world batsman has been subject such harsh benchmarks. Sachin has been SO consistent, for SO long, that even if he goes 3-4 innings without a big score, we all tend to get a bit twitchy. I have essentially given up Defending Sachin. It takes someone with an obvious bias or distinct lack of cricketing intelligence to raise questions about his place in the side or the kind of contribution he has made in ODIs. Those who were vehemently calling for him to dropped from the national side even till 10 months ago, have now mellowed down in admiration. Sachin has had to live with unfair criticism and scrutiny all his life. If an English batsman had achieved a third of what he has done so far, he would have been knighted by now. Its only some of us, the passionate Indian fans, who expect him to do super-human things on the cricketing field. People fail to realize that, at an age when 23 year olds are giving up cricket sighting depression and loss of motivation, Sachin has been playing non-stop cricket for almost 2 decades now, and yet, has been able to maintain such high standards. Give him a break, he is after, only human. Unfortunately for Tendulkar, the glass is always half empty.
Can someone on ICF laminate this post of Marirs ? Because every time someone opposes SRT, this framed post should be slapped onto him/her. Brilliant :two_thumbs_up:
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: awesome man
Perhaps he is just waiting for India to be able to manage a win against Australia without a significant contribution from him.:shades_smile:
Shwetabh, I have respected you for your understandoing and balance, but this above comment is outrageous and insulting to Tandulkar if you actually mean it. You mean to say he is not performing on purpose?
Shwetabh, I have respected you for your understandoing and balance, but this above comment is outrageous and insulting to Tandulkar if you actually mean it. You mean to say he is not performing on purpose?
No, I am saying that India cannot and have not been able to win ODIs against Australia without a significant contribution from Tendulkar.
No' date=' I am saying that India cannot and have not been able to win ODIs against Australia without a significant contribution from Tendulkar.[/quote'] Two wrongs do not make a right Shwetabh. The topic of discussion on this thread is SRT's inability to perform during this series; especially under crunch situations. He is a great no doubt and hence we expect much from him..the least I expect is consistency. If India is incapable of defeating Aussies without SRT then its a clearly worrying signal and needs to be addressed. However, without insulting SRT's great record and fantastic performances over the past one year, the fatc remains that he has just not been good enough during the CB series.
Two wrongs do not make a right Shwetabh. The topic of discussion on this thread is SRT's inability to perform during this series; especially under crunch situations. He is a great no doubt and hence we expect much from him..the least I expect is consistency. If India is incapable of defeating Aussies without SRT then its a clearly worrying signal and needs to be addressed. However' date= without insulting SRT's great record and fantastic performances over the past one year, the fatc remains that he has just not been good enough during the CB series.
Well said, Abhinav

Asking Tendulkar to bat down the order could help India do better Author: Peter Roebuck Date: 25 Feb 2008 Consideration must be given to dropping Sachin Tendulkar down the order. Although still capable of producing dazzling innings, he has been inconsistent against the new ball and India cannot afford to waste him. As could be told from the collapse at the SCG, his wicket is crucial to the hopes and morale of the side. Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag can combat the faster bowlers in their contrasting ways. Although it might feel strange after all these years at the top of the list, Tendulkar could occupy his Test match position and use his class to guide the middle order through the thickets. Taking a toll Age takes a toll of reflexes and footwork. Throughout this campaign, Sanath Jayasuriya has been a shadow of his former self. Repeatedly he has been late on his strokes. Tendulkar has scored runs but has lacked consistency owing to fallibility against high pace. If India is to cause an upset in the finals it must make the most of its resources and that may mean adjusting the order. Yesterday India’s most experienced batsman was cut down by Brett Lee. Besides exposing the Indian’s vulnerability to extreme pace early in his innings, Lee’s delivery highlighted a technical weakness that has long been part of Tendulkar’s game. Whereas most batsmen move their back foot across their stumps and into line, he gives himself room to play off-side strokes by leaving his right leg in its original perch. That makes him vulnerable to break-backers. As a result, Tendulkar has been dismissed clean bowled and leg before a remarkable number of times. Often he finds himself forced to play across the ball. His front leg obstructs his bat and causes him to miss deliveries darting back. In his pomp he could adjust his shot and flick the ball away with a late roll of the wrist reminiscent of Viv Richards. But his peak has passed. Tendulkar’s dismissal told the tale. Returning from a break, Lee produced a fast and full ball that cut back into the righthander. Tendulkar was beaten all ends up. Tendulkar is different The combination of pace and movement was too much for him. Not that his colleagues did much better but less is expected from them, especially the T20 champions, some of whom have stopped scoring runs in other forms of the game. But Tendulkar is different. He is a great batsman. Not that he needs to be protected. Just that he can be given another role by a team that must take chances in order to beat these hosts. Tendulkar could be asked to take charge of the second part of the innings. Apart from that the main thing India needs is to win the toss.

Sachin has been playing well in the ODIs since WC. Its only in this series has he been struggling. So what has changed in this series ? Sachin is no longer opening with Saurav. Maybe having dada at the other end provided Sachin some sort of comfort and he played his natural game. With Sehwag at the other end Sachin know he will fall anytime thus adjusting his game accordingly resulting in his failure. If both sachin and sehwag are in playing XI one has to come down the order. Though Uttapa isnt much different than sehwag i would go with him to open the innings with sachin.

Two wrongs do not make a right Shwetabh. The topic of discussion on this thread is SRT's inability to perform during this series; especially under crunch situations. He is a great no doubt and hence we expect much from him..the least I expect is consistency. If India is incapable of defeating Aussies without SRT then its a clearly worrying signal and needs to be addressed. However' date=' without insulting SRT's great record and fantastic performances over the past one year, the fatc remains that he has just not been good enough during the CB series.[/quote'] Random Taendulkar bashers define crunch situations at their own whims and fancies as expanded and explained above in Bharat's post. For them a Tendulkar failure is by definition a crunch situation and they'll create circumstances to prove it.