Parameters and their indicators to predict performance of any batsman.

vaul

Often,on ICF people debate about talent and ability of batsman.Is there any criteria to predict future of top domestic batsmen ?

Can we predict performance of senior team batsmen under different conditions ? Based on my observation,I have outlined following 4 parameters and their indicators to predict the performance of any batsman.Observe and analyse these indicators for a batsman under different pitch conditions and against different bowlers.eg Positive indicators for batsman on slow low bounce pitch against 120 Km/hr bowler may turn into negative ones on quicker wicket against same bowler.

1. Ability to pick line,length and pace of ball:It is most important ability which is dictated by fact that how quickly brain of batsman is able to trace the trajectory of ball in space and time.Experts often mention this ability that  "batsman has time to play shots".

NEGATIVE INDICATORS:Notice how often a player shows these signs in various innings under "different conditions" and against "different bowlers".

a. Play and miss .

b. Edges ball to slips,wicket-keeper,gully,point.

c. Clean bowled ,lbw,inside edges onto stumps.

d. Inability to play ball as late as possible,and inability for late adjustment -batsman is stuck in unfavourable positions.

e. Improper timing.

POSITIVE INDICATORS:An ideal batsman will show these indicators.

a. Excellent ball middling ability - hardly any edges,lbw,bowled(clean or edges onto stumps); hardly any play and miss but batsman leaves ball decisively.This ability indicates tracing ball trajectory perfectly.

b. Ability to play as late as possible,and for late adjustment.

c. Proper timing- Apart from ability to pick line,length and pace of ball,it also depends upon bat speed,foot work and ability to play late.Also a properly middled ball may be improperly timed i.e. ball position is traced perfectly but bat did not arrive at right time.

2. Range of shots,footwork(leads to balance),power and ball placement:

NEGATIVE INDICATORS:

a.Weakness or inability to effectively play certain shots.

b. Inability to play aerial shots or adversely inability to keep ball along ground-poor control over shots.

c. Poor rotation of strike.

d. Improper footwork(including using feet to come out of crease) for front-foot/back-foot shots.

e.Lack of power in shots;inability to clear boundary with ease.

POSITIVE INDICATORS:Opposite to above mentioned negative indicators.

3.Shot selection(experience = shot selection;mainly) and concentration:

NEGATIVE INDICATORS:Inability to adjust to pitch condition and playing wrong shot. eg playing across the line when ball is seaming/swinging around - ideally,playing late with straight bat is safest option.Lapses in concentration is indicated by playing loose shot in casual manner -throwing away wicket.

Positive indicators are shot selection according to conditions without any lapses in concentration.

4.Character:Negative indicators are nervousness and failing to deliver under pressure and in critical matches.Positive indicators are performing best to the ability under adverse conditions.

Edited by vaul

Things that i look

1. If player has good cut n pull....important for overseas

2. Most important is head position........someone like sehwag didnt have gr8 foortwork but that head position was steady and another xample are kohli n sachin. Great batsman have one thing- steady head position

3. How much time he has while playing fast bowling- someone like Rayudu was mostly late hence when he faced high pace he was always struggling 

4. Base while batting- something i learned from hearing Viv richards on last WI tour- he mentioned how kohli n KL has gr8 standing base while batting. Something that jadeja lacked which is why is why he struggling when it comes to power hitting 

5. for middle order against spin bowling - how he uses his feet or does how he uses his wrist playing against spin 

27 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Things that i look

1. If player has good cut n pull....important for overseas

2. Most important is head position........someone like sehwag didnt have gr8 foortwork but that head position was steady and another xample are kohli n sachin. Great batsman have one thing- steady head position

3. How much time he has while playing fast bowling- someone like Rayudu was mostly late hence when he faced high pace he was always struggling 

4. Base while batting- something i learned from hearing Viv richards on last WI tour- he mentioned how kohli n KL has gr8 standing base while batting. Something that jadeja lacked which is why is why he struggling when it comes to power hitting 

5. for middle order against spin bowling - how he uses his feet or does how he uses his wrist playing against spin 

Your points come under the parameters I mentioned.

Your 1st ,4rth and 5th points comes under range of shots,footwork(second parameter).I agree that horizontal bat shots(cut n pull) are important overseas,but add to this that late cut instead of front foot cut-safer on low bounce pitches;which is indicated by ability to play late(positive indicator for first parameter).Good footwork leads to proper base/stance allowing proper timing apart from placement,power and control over shots-like playing along ground.

Your 3rd point is indicator under my first parameter.Your 2nd point-head position-is prerequisite for the first parameter -ability to pick line,length and pace of ball.

Edited by vaul

I would like to elaborate my parameters with example of Shubman Gill,for whom my prediction is that he has technique to play in any type of conditions because all positive indicators are in his favour.

1. Gill's ability to pick line,length and pace of ball:All positive indicators are observable from his innings.His exceptional ball middling ability as he hardly gives any edge to slip corridor/keeper.He can play "as late as possible"- for example on BCCI tv see the ball on which he completed his century against Hyderbad in Ranji.I believe no one can pick line and length as early as him,and play as late as possible as him.For these positive indicators he can play under any type of conditions.

2. Gill's range of shots,footwork(leads to balance),power and ball placement:Again he shows all positive indicators.He has all the shots in book,and due to excellent footwork(hence balance) he has exceptional control over his shot.For example depending upon length,he can play pull and sweep shot along the ground anywhere in the on side.

3. Gill's shot selection and concentration:He shows positive indicators in general as out of 4 first class centuries 2 are doule.Bad shot selection was reason for his failure in NZ,where he was middling the ball well but his eagerness to score led to wrong shot selection.In first match he should have defended that ball with soft hands,and in second match he should have played ball late and close to body because ball was coming at uneven pace because of moisture.

4.Gill's character:He shows positive indicators in general.His innings against Pakistan in u19 wc where he played excellent innings under pressure when wickets where falling at other end.His 204 not out after golden duck in first innings is another example.In first innings he was lbw to Fraser on first ball,but in second innings he pulled him for 4 runs on first ball.

Edited by vaul