Who can replace the big 5?

vsd2006

Aside for Sachin, who I think cannot be replaced, I think that the other 4 can surely be and we already have the right players for that, thanks to vengsarkar and his mates, they ensured that we had those replacement. Dravid = Rohit Sharma Laxman = Badrinath Ganguly = Suresh Raina Kumble = Piyush Chawla/Amit Mishra I know that these guys have a long way to go before you can start comparing them with the greats that they might replace, but you have to remember that it seemed the same way in 1996 when dravid and ganguly made their debuts. Any thoughts?

No one will replace the big five. Because no one "can" replace the big five. If they were so easily replaceable, they wouldnt be the big five. When the big five are gone, the selectors will select the best possible team from the available players. There is no need to get into who replaces who.

Aside for Sachin, who I think cannot be replaced, I think that the other 4 can surely be and we already have the right players for that, thanks to vengsarkar and his mates, they ensured that we had those replacement. Dravid = Rohit Sharma Laxman = Badrinath Ganguly = Suresh Raina Kumble = Piyush Chawla/Amit Mishra I know that these guys have a long way to go before you can start comparing them with the greats that they might replace, but you have to remember that it seemed the same way in 1996 when dravid and ganguly made their debuts. Any thoughts?
No. Their debuts (comeback for Gangs after short stint in 1992) were quite extraordinary.

i am also of the opinion that the big 5 cannot be replaced. but then again i also thought that of the sachin-dada-dravid ODI core and yet, the new players seem to be winning more matches and scoring 300+ more often. besides, i wouldn't say sachin is irreplacable in theory. if you break it down, its all just about numbers and he doesn't have the highest average or strike rate. his class and strokeplay cannot be replaced, yes, but his leadership and the "jordan" factor (i.e never accepting anything less than victory) surely can be replaced probably by anyone in the squad now.