Reason why ICC cannot set aside a window for IPL

King

Indians for new league Top Indian players are likely to feature in the Southern Twenty20 league that is being planned, possibly from next year, by South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Gerald Majola, CSA's chief executive, said. "Nothing concrete has been decided," he said. "It is most likely that Indian players will be involved, just like non-Indian players are involved in the IPL."
There you go. Now the Southren league will feature during the time when cricket is going to be played in India. Southren League (involving Saffies, Aussies and Kiwis) can only happen between October - March. Now cricket in Sub continent is played during this time. I'm quite sure Southern League will happen in October/November ruling out South Africa, Australia and New Zealand committing to any tours. West Indies and Pakistan will take active participation this league as they aren't played very well by their boards (In Pakistan's case they don't play much cricket at all anyways). If ICC is forced to make a window for IPL then what stops Southern League from asking for the same? It doesn't sound too bad at present given ICC will have to set aside 3 months in a calendar year for players to participate in these leagues but what happens if West Indies, Pakistan, England, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh ask for another window to host a combined Twenty20 league? Another month and a half/two months will need to be set aside. You will only be left with 7-8 months when Bi-Lateral series' can happen. This was what I was saying, IPL has opened a Pandora box and it's going to be bloody hard to keep a lid on mushrooming Twenty20 leagues. "Cricket" as we know it will not be the same anymore unless they do something about test cricket. ICC will as usual will not be proactive and screw up test cricket.

I will be skeptical about this. The main reason that BCCI could do it and get all major players involved and care is due to the amount of money players are getting. Without the huge Indian market, i am not sure how this tournament can give players the amount of money IPL does. So, i expect 2nd stringers from India to play but not the likes of Dhoni and Sachin.

Ravi, Everybody wants an IPL of their own. Do you remember the ICC World X1 vs Australia ODI series from a couple of years ago ? That was a flop played in front of empty (almost) grounds So, whilst many IPL clones may pop up, only a few will ever last The players in the IPL are paid such astronomical figures. Do you think they'll play if they can't get the same or better than what they're paid in the IPL ? Stanford came, Stanford went. I expect this to be the precedent for all the two bit IPL clones

I don't agree to this theory of only "Indian public" can make this a success. Sure thing Indian cricket economy and the following is unparallel but there are other countries where Twenty20 cricket if not all forms of cricket is followed. Here in NZ, the ODIs and Twnety20 are a sell out. Usually 2 out of 3 test matches are a sell out too. Australian public follows cricket passionately so does English and South African public. Just look at the kind of attendance you saw at the IPL 2. Even South African cricket administrators were surprised at that. Australia, England and South African can line up reasonable sponsors if not as big as they did in IPL. I think the model is a sure-shot success. Mix of international cricketers, playing in different conditions and over a short period of time keeping the viewers happy. It's definitely possible for Australia, South Africa and England to pull off another IPL like league sans at a lesser scale. The TV rights may not sell for as big as it did for IPL but you know there's always Zee TV that will be happy to bid for these rights. If other leagues can lure Indian cricketers, for sure Indian TV producers will line up to buy the rights. As for the Indian cricket followers, if Tendulkar was to play for Sydney I wonder how many wouldn't watch?

I don't agree to this theory of only "Indian public" can make this a success. Sure thing Indian cricket economy and the following is unparallel but there are other countries where Twenty20 cricket if not all forms of cricket is followed. Here in NZ, the ODIs and Twnety20 are a sell out. Usually 2 out of 3 test matches are a sell out too. Australian public follows cricket passionately so does English and South African public. Just look at the kind of attendance you saw at the IPL 2. Even South African cricket administrators were surprised at that. Australia, England and South African can line up reasonable sponsors if not as big as they did in IPL. I think the model is a sure-shot success. Mix of international cricketers, playing in different conditions and over a short period of time keeping the viewers happy. It's definitely possible for Australia, South Africa and England to pull off another IPL like league sans at a lesser scale. The TV rights may not sell for as big as it did for IPL but you know there's always Zee TV that will be happy to bid for these rights. If other leagues can lure Indian cricketers, for sure Indian TV producers will line up to buy the rights. As for the Indian cricket followers, if Tendulkar was to play for Sydney I wonder how many wouldn't watch?
If you are replying to me, thats pretty much what i said. If such a league starts it will be on a smaller scale than IPL, which is precisely why i expect some of the big players to skip this. I dont think Sachin or Dhoni would play this league to add another 200 grand to their already hefty IPL pay, BCCI pay and ads. The more time these guys play on such a league, the less time they can sell their name to advertisers as individuals. For example, Coke can use Sachin's name/image on their ads if they sponsor Mumbai Indians and when he is still under Pepsi. But they can do it only when IPL is on. So that makes Sachin's individual time lesser. Add another league and its the same. So instead of getting 5 million $ for 12 months, he has to further decrease another month off the pepsi contract. If the pay is not substantial, then there is no monetary reason for Sachin to play. Maybe players like Hayden, Warne, Gilly dont mind this or even current players like Ponting who thinks he got shortchanged in IPL auction would go for this, but it will not be with the heavy weights.

success is relative.I am sure its going to a success but the IPL is going to be a huge success in coming years and if that happens then the player salaries will take a big leap too.the cap might be doubled and even scraped.no other league can compete with this.If players really want to play in other leagues apart from the IPL then the only conflict that can arise is with regards to the champions league. all this is a death knell to ODI cricket which surely cannot sustain itself much longer. bilateral series will alter radically too.

Champions League has found a definite window in ICC but as mentioned, it is not possible to set aside a second window for IPL .. there might be lesser cricket but it cannot be completely stopped Boards of countries like SL, SA, West Indies, Bangladesh etc. might not keep any matches for their respective countries during that period but it is almost impossible that Australia and England will do so.. Aussies and English are not very supportive of IPL and I think they will continue their normal cricket but rest all countries will keep no cricket from next year IMO

I think rest of the boards will understand the value of their local teams when they play in the champions trophy. Its obvious that games involving India would get high ratings in India but Im not so sure if its gonna be the same in Aus for aussie team or in Eng for their county teams.

I agree... its not going to be as enormous as IPL. IMO, they are a little late... for IPL is already a success and IPL will be entering the third season. after which there is a possibility that cap might be increased or totally taken off. they should have immediately jumped into it after the success of IPL 1st season. so lets see what happens.

I will be skeptical about this. The main reason that BCCI could do it and get all major players involved and care is due to the amount of money players are getting. Without the huge Indian market, i am not sure how this tournament can give players the amount of money IPL does. So, i expect 2nd stringers from India to play but not the likes of Dhoni and Sachin.
I agree -- I am not sure about the payments the players are going to get? Will KP get 1 Mil ? Or if he is offered 300 or 400 K -- will he take up ? I am not sure. It might not be worth it for Aussies like Ponting and Hussey etc. It might not be worth it for the Dhonis and SRTs either. Only guys who will flock there with saliva dripping out of their mouths will be the beggars from across the border. :cantstop: -- if they are invited that is -- which is still not even a certainty