Wimbledon 2009

Cricketics

Here we are. The biggest tournament of Tennis. Who can forget last year's mens finals when Federer and Nadal played the game of the millenium. Lets hope we see another fantastic Wimbledon this time around. Indian Alert - Somdev Devvarman knocked out in the qualifying round. Prakash Amritraj reaches round 2 of the qualifying round. Somdev Devvarman in mens doubles qualifying round. Indo-Pak pair - Amritraj-Aisam in mens doubles qualifying round

flamy you can smile. INDIANS CAN SMILE UNEXPECTED HAS HAPPEND. Somdev Varman and his south african partner Anderson have just won the 2nd round mens doubles qualifying round match and now have qualified for the main draw in doubles This means that we have 4 teams which have Indians in it now. Paes/Dlouhy Bhupathi/Knowles Rohan/Nieminen Dev Varman/Anderson and there can be 5th Indian player too in mens doubles if Prakash Amritraj and his pakistani partner Aisam Qureshi win their game tomorrow. Come on Prakash and Qureshi.. Win the game Brilliant day today

Another update folkz. This time about Mens Singles - Prakash Amritraj vs American 250th seeded Yani tomorrow. If Prakash Wins, then he would be the first Indian in years to Qualify for the Main Draw in Mens Singles. Man Prakash please win it tomorrow, both of your games

flamy you can smile. INDIANS CAN SMILE UNEXPECTED HAS HAPPEND. Somdev Varman and his south african partner Anderson have just won the 2nd round mens doubles qualifying round match and now have qualified for the main draw in doubles This means that we have 4 teams which have Indians in it now. Paes/Dlouhy Bhupathi/Knowles Rohan/Nieminen Dev Varman/Anderson and there can be 5th Indian player too in mens doubles if Prakash Amritraj and his pakistani partner Aisam Qureshi win their game tomorrow. Come on Prakash and Qureshi.. Win the game Brilliant day today
What happened to Yuki Bhambri? He failed to get a wild card for french open but what about Wimbledon?

Wild Card? Chandan he was supposed to play in the juniors tournament of French open which runs along with the seniors tournament. Thats what he won during Australian Open. But this time around, Yuki didn't play because of Injury. I hope he plays Juniors wimbledon. He has to turn pro and improve hsi atp ranking to get a chance in major grandslams main draw and that can only happen if he plays other atp tournaments. So far he has done really well in whatever tournament he has played. and i hope he stays injury free. and sad news coming from England, Prakash didn't qualify for singles main draw. He lost his 3rd round qualification match to Michael Yani of U.S.A. Prakash and Qureshi still can manage to reach the main draw of mens doubles. There game starts in about an hour.

Should I post the WIMBLEDON PREVIEW now? Buoyant Federer ready to reclaim Wimbledon crown! Reuters, Friday June 19 2009 * French Open champion ready to win back Wimbledon crown * Nadal's knees cause concern * Murray poised to end Britain's 73-year men's title drought By Martyn Herman LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Will Roger Federer reclaim his Wimbledon throne? Will Rafael Nadal's knees permit him to defend his title? Can Andy Murray finally put the worn-out Fred Perry statistic to bed? Those are the three burning questions as the All England Club's famous lawns get their final trim before the start of the year's third grand slam on Monday. A sun-kissed first week is in store, according to the weather forecasters, but the British climate can be unpredictable, just as the men's game has been in recent weeks. Who would have thought Federer -- who was ashen-faced 12 months ago when his pursuit of a sixth consecutive Wimbledon title was ended by Nadal in a stupendous final and hysterical after another defeat by the Spaniard in Melbourne -- would breeze into London as the French Open champion? The cards fell favourably for the Swiss master in Paris when first Novak Djokovic, then Nadal and then Murray, were all knocked out allowing him the relatively straightforward task of beating Swede Robin Soderling to equal Pete Sampras's record haul of 14 grand slam titles. After finally claiming the French crown and completing his career grand slam, Federer remarked that he could now play without pressure -- safe in the knowledge that few would deny he is the greatest player ever to swing a racket. "Now, going into the grasscourt season, and Wimbledon, and being on top of the world, it's a fantastic feeling," said newly-married and soon to be father Federer. It was all a bit different last year when Nadal, having humiliated Federer in the final at Roland Garros, promptly won the Queen's Club grasscourt title and then pole-axed the Swiss in the place he calls his own backyard. A month later Nadal took Federer's world number one ranking and although the Swiss hit back to win the U.S. Open it seemed that a seismic shift had occurred in the sport. ACHING KNEES Nadal's return to London as defending champion has been overshadowed by injury worries. He withdrew from Queen's to rest his aching knees but the pain from the tendinitis has thrown his participation into doubt. "I will give 200 percent to be 100 percent for the most important date in world tennis," Nadal said last week -- the Mallorcan well aware that only at full throttle would he have a real chance of scaling the heights of a year ago. MURRAY-MANIA While weather and sporting fortunes are fickle, one thing is nailed on this year -- the loudest dose of Murray-mania yet. It has taken British fans a while to warm to the 22-year-old Scot but his U.S. Open final appearance last year, his rise to number three in the world and last week's title at Queen's Club have raised expectations that he is on the verge of becoming the first home men's champion at Wimbledon since Perry in 1936. Apart from a blip at the Australian Open, Murray's progress has been spectacular. He reached consecutive Masters Series finals, losing to Nadal in Indian Wells and beating Djokovic in Miami, then reached the last eight for the first time in Paris. Gone are the sulky days when Murray would often suffer mid-match lapses. He has always had an uncanny ability to control a tennis ball as if it is on a piece string but those skills are now backed up with mental resolve, stamina and searing power when required. GOOD BENCHMARK "I think I could win against either of them (Federer and Nadal) on grass," Murray said after his Queen's Club triumph. "But I'd have to play my best. I don't think average against them is going to cut it. "I'll need to be playing good tennis anyway to reach the semi-finals but I'd like to get the chance to play either of them this year. Normally Queen's is a good benchmark to see where all the other players are at. For me it was perfect preparation." Of the other contenders, Djokovic appears to be suffering a dip in form just at the wrong time, losing early in Paris and then to Tommy Haas in the Halle final. Slimmed-down American Andy Roddick, twice defeated in Wimbledon finals by Federer, will bring his rocket-powered serve to the party once again and will be dangerous if he has fully recovered from the ankle injury he sustained at Queen's Club. There will also be a few bets placed on Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro. The gangly 20-year-old has come of age this year with wins over Murray and Nadal and nobody will relish having him in their quarter. LINK So who are you supporting?

Good post Chandan I am hoping for Federer to regain the Wimbledon title. Also Nadal doesn't look as good as he looked last year during Wimbledon so the chances of Fed gaining back the title just keep increasing. but got to watch out for guys like Tsonga, del potro on grass court. I think they will do good.

It seems it is a really bad news for Rafa fans,. He is quite doubtful even for the participation, forget about being fit to defend the title! Rafael Nadal losing fight to defend his Wimbledon title • Spaniard hampered in trial match defeat by Hewitt • Nadal likely to turn attention to US Open in August Thursday 18 June 2009 20.45 BST Nadal-and-Hewitt-001.jpgSpain's Rafael Nadal, right, was beaten in straight sets by Australia's Lleyton Hewitt and later admitted he is struggling to make Wimbledon next week. Rafael Nadal is losing his fight to play at Wimbledon next week. Unless there is a dramatic improvement in his knees in the next few hours, the Spaniard seems set to become only the fourth man in the modern era not to defend his title at the All England Club. The world No1 is suffering from tendinitis in both knees, a chronic injury that contributed to his first ever French Open defeat, in the fourth round, last month. He will test them again tomorrow in an exhibition match but the look on his face and the words of his coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, suggested that he expects the worst. "At the moment it's very difficult to play at Wimbledon, his knees are not good, he cannot bend," he said. "This is his first match, we wait." Toni Nadal was speaking after his nephew played, and lost 6–4, 6–3 to, the 2002 Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt in an exhibition match at the Hurlingham Club in west London. The result is largely irrelevant but Nadal, who chose not to wear tape on his knees, cut a frustrated figure, frequently consulting with his uncle and gesticulating after every mistake. "Today was as close to reality as I could get," Rafael Nadal said. "It was a real test. I will come back and play again and then make my decision about playing at Wimbledon or not." The final decision will rest with Nadal, who was due to play Stanislav Wawrinka tomorrow but the Spaniard promised last week that he will not play unless he is 100% fit and he knows that, if he pushes himself too hard, he may risk *causing further damage. Those close to him suggest winning the US Open – and completing a career grand slam – is his goal for this year so anything that endangers that possibility is a serious risk. Moreover, if he is not able to bend properly, it will affect every part of his game, especially his serve, which requires him to bend low to push up and create power. Nadal will be desperate to play after the manner of his victory last year, when he beat Roger Federer 9–7 in the fifth set in what is widely regarded as the best final in Wimbledon's history. But reality must set in at some stage. He has struggled with knee trouble for more than two years, and managing the injuries and planning his calendar ever more carefully will be the key to his longevity in the game. He missed the Masters Cup in 2005 and the start of the 2006 season because of a foot injury, and the tendinitis in his knees caused him to miss last year's Davis Cup final. That decision to rest clearly worked because he then beat Federer to win the Australian Open title for the first time, but he was struck down by knee trouble in Rotterdam when losing to Andy Murray in the final of the ATP event. Should the Spaniard decide to pull out, Murray will be promoted to No2 seed and would be expected to face the new No1 Federer, the five-times champion and a man on a high after his first ever French Open victory in Paris, in the final. Murray practised with Nadal at Wimbledon on Wednesday and said the champion was "hitting the ball well" but the Scot added that he had not been able to judge exactly how he was moving because it was so windy. John Newcombe, Stan Smith and Goran Ivanisevic are the only other men who have been unable to defend their Wimbledon titles in modern times. Newcombe of Australia was not allowed to chase a third consecutive title in 1972 because he had signed up to a rival tour while Smith of the United States was victim of a players' boycott the following year. Ivanisevic succumbed to a shoulder injury in 2002, a year after his emotional five-set victory over Australia's Pat Rafter. ---------------------------------------------------------------- So it looks unlikely that Nadal will be able to participate in this year's Wimbledon!