Umar Akmal is a potential batting great

Thats what they said about Sohail Khan who just fizzled out to getting drinks in QEA matches. Every Johnny who walks through the turnstiles is a new and improved Miandad or Imran only to wake up to ground realities of not being so. Another example Fawad Alam.

And who would he replace if he was an Indian?
i am not saying if he were an Indian i would put him in playing XI but rather than selecting someone say Badrinath who anyways is not a long term solution it would have been nice to have someone like akmal. I dont think there is much between Kohli and akmal for now, though Rohit sharma is better than both.
Thats what they said about Sohail Khan who just fizzled out to getting drinks in QEA matches. Every Johnny who walks through the turnstiles is a new and improved Miandad or Imran only to wake up to ground realities of not being so. Another example Fawad Alam.
He is much better than this guy and the Sohail Khan you have mentioned. Anyway i am not sure if you had seen his batting but i surely feel that he is much better than our very own Rohit Sharma who has all the potential in the world but cant just convert it, this kid 19 or 21 whatever his age is, is surely showing the world what he is made of. The op has already mentioned as to why many think that Umar is a future batting star so i dont have to add anything on that, but he surely is different from quite a few young talents around in the world. And yes he can make into our national squad as well, i am sure if we had found a kid like Umar who given his age scored in NZ and scored a 50 in his first innings agains Aus in Oz we would have proclaimed him to be the next Sachin. I am not saying that it is true but thats how we react when we see a bright young talent around. There is something different about this Umar and i don know why but i want him to succeed, maybe because of his age or because of his attitude but i surely want him to do well. Hope he gets one century at least in this series.
=satishg;906236 And yes he can make into our national squad as well, i am sure if we had found a kid like Umar who given his age scored in NZ and scored a 50 in his first innings agains Aus in Oz we would have proclaimed him to be the next Sachin. I am not saying that it is true but thats how we react when we see a bright young talent around. .
True that satish. When India finds a similar talent who scores well in a few games (case in point even Rohit Sharma at the beginning), Indian fans start singing praises. Nothing different happening with U.A. IMO, both (Indians abt our youngsters or padosis abt U.A.) are premature. Give the lads sometime, lets see in their 2nd year how they do. We know "how well" Nohit Sharma did in ODIs after the initial promise (maybe he is Test material, thats a diff discussion).
True that satish. When India finds a similar talent who scores well in a few games (case in point even Rohit Sharma at the beginning), Indian fans start singing praises. Nothing different happening with U.A. IMO, both (Indians abt our youngsters or padosis abt U.A.) are premature. Give the lads sometime, lets see in their 2nd year how they do. We know "how well" Nohit Sharma did in ODIs after the initial promise (maybe he is Test material, thats a diff discussion).
I think there's a difference b/w Umar and other young batsmen from around the world. Umar Akmal has scored very heavily in domestic cricket, U19 international matches, Pakistan A tours, International ODIs and now has overtaken Test cricket with a bang. All that in just 2-3 years. He has made a mark in almost every opportunity in all formats/levels of the game. Speaks volume about this brilliant talent!
I think there's a difference b/w Umar and other young batsmen from around the world. Umar Akmal has scored very heavily in domestic cricket' date=' [b']U19 international matches, Pakistan A tours, International ODIs and now has overtaken Test cricket with a bang. All that in just 2-3 years. He has made a mark in almost every opportunity in all formats/levels of the game. Speaks volume about this brilliant talent!
IIRC Umar was a complete failure in the last u-19 world cup in Malaysia. What really turned the corner for him was the Pak A tour to Aus last year where he scored runs at will and forced his way into the Pak team. His real challenege will be during his 2nd season in int'l cricket. But based on what we have seen so far, this kid does look a special talent who is willing to take on the best and play his natural game even in trying situations.

Another start for Umar Akmal in the second innings of this test in Australia. That is and achievment in itself, for a young 19 year old batsman, playing his first test match in the country... This litle stay at the wicket is enough to tell us about what umar akmal is doing for the moment... Coming in difficult situations, due to poor ssupport from the rest of the batting line up, concentrating very hard, giving a lot of respect to good balls, hitting bad ones to the boundary and also doing looking to get out when he looks the most set (katich's over)... He is very young, he has a lot of attacking shots, a good defence, but it's look like that he sometimes throw it away like in the first innings... It' s too early to judge them, but from what we have seen, we can say that he is a POTENTIAL great... Hope the best for him...

i am convinced that Umer Akmal is going to be a great player. He probably has one of the best hook shot in the game.He is definitely one for the future. You see the problem with Pakistan is that the rest of the batting lineup sucks, man they are really bad. If they really want to give the top teams some challenge they will need to produce more Umer Akmals.

Too early to call him a great just like it is for any new batsman. He has loads of talent, no doubt about that, but the question still remains. Will he be able to give these sort of performances consistently? Till now, he`s performed exceptionally well on all types of wickets and in many different conditons. We have high hopes on him but calling him the next whoever-it-is is outright dumb:P

And who would he replace if he was an Indian?
Most definitely Yuvraj. Even after 10 years of international cricket, he is yet to buy a test run outside the subcontinent while Umar has scored freely in NZ and is now doing so in Australia. He probably scored more runs in 1 innings in Australia than Yuvraj managed in the entire series. He is 19 and let's say if Tendulkar or Dravid were injured and some Indian put in these kind of performances over 4 tests who would get the chop when they returned - obviously Yuvraj.
so why is yuvraj singh playing?? I would have not said this if it was the midle order with ganguly... sorry but yuvraj.... hmmmm i have my doubts over his ability to play test cricket...
We compare Yuvraj's ability with ability of Indian batsmen. That is why he is considered to be inferior. If anything Yuvraj will replace any one of your top 3. :hysterical: