The Roger Federer appreciation thread

Sooda

As he wins the Masters Cup in some style..I mean ..FACK ME! How can someone be SO good at something... "I even had to laugh at one stage at how well I was playing," he said. "I always came up with a great answer. I was in control all the time and pretty much everything I wanted to do, I did. Thats Fed himself- the thing is hes being HONEST. hes not arrogant at all, the guy is genuinely surprised at how amazing he is... --------------------------- Awesome Federer wins Masters Cup Federer made amends for his defeat in last year's final World number one Roger Federer outclassed James Blake 6-0 6-3 6-4 to win the Masters Cup in Shanghai. Federer took just an hour and 37 minutes to claim his third title at the prestigious year-ending event, and his 12th from 17 tournaments this season. The Swiss master also won it in 2003 and 2004, when it was held in Houston. He suffered a surprise defeat to David Nalbandian in last year's final, but mercilessly took apart Blake, who could only convert one of 11 break points. 606 DEBATE: Give your thoughts on Federer's win Federer's unbeaten run through the tournament saw him add $1.52m (?800,000) to his year's earnings, becoming the first player to earn more than $8m (?4.2m) in a season. It was his 29th win in a row, and his 92nd of a year in which he has won three Grand Slams and been beaten just five times. At this stage in my career I'm so happy with my game, it's come such a long way Roger Federer The only players to beat the 25-year-old this year were Rafael Nadal, who won four finals against him, and Britain's Andy Murray, who beat him in Cincinnati in August. Federer said he could not have played any better. "I even had to laugh at one stage at how well I was playing," he said. "I always came up with a great answer. I was in control all the time and pretty much everything I wanted to do, I did. "At this stage in my career I'm so happy with my game, it's come such a long way." Blake reached the final on his debut appearance at the event after beating world number two Nadal and number three Nikolay Davydenko in the round-robin phase, and defending champion Nalbandian in the semis. But the American, who finishes the season ranked number four in the world, took 34 minutes to get on the scoreboard in the final, finally holding serve in the second game of the second set, after saving two break points. I've probably run out of adjectives to talk about his excellence. He's unbelievable James Blake He managed to break Federer for the only time when the Swiss was serving for the match at 5-2 in the third. But it was only a temporary blip, Federer setting up triple match-point in his next service game with a trademark backhand down the line, before clinching victory with a powerful serve that Blake could not return. "There was nothing I could have done. He played too well," said Blake. "I've probably run out of adjectives to talk about his excellence. He's unbelievable and he steps it up in finals. "I could have played a little better but to be honest I don't know if it would have made much difference."

Re: The Roger Federer appreciation thread Fed got a preview of his 'renewed competition' for next year, if you can call them that. The renewed Andy Roddick enriched with the essence of JimmyC -- I still think he's a one-two trick pony, he's switched his game from being Serve-Forehand, to Serve-Forehand-comeToNet...and will be figured out soon enough by Fed. Rafa, Nalbandian and Blake are going to be in the top 5 next year. Aussie open will still be a big test for Fed, because the ball bounces high on that particular synthetic surface, which is perfect for top-spin ho's like Rafa. I'm sure Tony Roach has some plans for the French, but Fed really needs to start the year well.

Re: The Roger Federer appreciation thread

Federer is boringly good. I have lost interest in tennis because of him. Opponents have no chance.
I wouldn't mind if he won every single one of those 4 grand slams for the next 5 years. His style of tennis is like poetry in motion and his shots are near flawless in execution. Too good. I could watch him play tennis all day.

Re: The Roger Federer appreciation thread It is a bit boring seeing Federer winning everything- as beautiful as it is to watch him...when its the latter stages of tournos I find myself supporting the guy playing him Roddick has improved massively. he can volley (ish)!! and his backhand his really come on- it was a major liability at one stage. returns have really improved too- as youd expect under Connors Still dosent have the shots to beat Fed though. Thats why the tennis world needs a fully fit Marat Safin Nalbandian is class, got great touch, but wayy too inconsistent. and his service is not great Its Nadal and Safin whos gonna be his main threats. Richard Gasquet. Give him a few years.

Re: The Roger Federer appreciation thread

Federer is boringly good. I have lost interest in tennis because of him. Opponents have no chance.
I wouldn't mind if he won every single one of those 4 grand slams for the next 5 years. His style of tennis is like poetry in motion and his shots are near flawless in execution. Too good. I could watch him play tennis all day.
Agree with every word said by Predator.

The greatest player and the most gifted player the game has ever seen, even in his 30s proving to be one of the best in the world. Superb serve, accurate returner which has slightly diminished with age but nonetheless reliable. Beautiful backhand, best to watch after his own compatriot Stan Wawrinka. Not my favourite, but that's purely because I don't support the most successful in any sport, but definitely the world realises how lucky we have been to have him.