Characters on Cricket Field

Cricket definately needs characters who all of a sudden makes the game look interesting if its dull, after doing some drama on the field..they make the game look more lively...u might not like their act on cricket field, but they certainly are entertainers.. they can sledge, they can do any kind of drama, after all they are real entertainers.. what do u think? name those Cricketers who deserves the term "Character" you can also place the name here of former players i reckon, currently Andre Nel and Sreesanth are very much in that list..

Came to this topic to name Swervin' Mervyn. He remains one of my favourites, Ravi. Years after he'd retired, Dean Jones was interviewing him whilst walking around the hallowed turf of the MCG. They were reminiscing old times when they played together for Victoria and Australia in that great arena. Finally, Deano says, "Well mate, you certainly had a colourful career. What actually happened in South Africa when you had that 'disagreement' with a fan in the players' race?" Merv: "Ar, nothing much. Just a bloke mouthing off at me. I waved my bat at him." "Fairly costly though mate. That was your last Test wasn't it?" Merv: "Yeah. I shouldda hit the prick!" Deano could be heard cracking up. :hysterical: Merv was playing in a testimonial match. I think it was for Boony. Although he always had a bit of a beer belly, it had grown to rather large proportions. He was miked up when he was batting and a commentator asked him about his preparations for a big match like this. Merv: "Aww, nothing special mate ... hang on ... (blasts the next ball through the mid wicket fieldsman to the boundary to go to 46*) .. a couple of large Hawaiian pizzas and a 2 litre bottle of coke." He creams the next two balls to the fence and headed off on 54*. The comms ask where he's going. Merv: "That'll do me. Besides I have a pizza and a 6 pack (of beer) waiting for me in the shed." Not just a character either. In the 1993 Ashes series, the Aussie spearhead, Craig McDermott broke down after the first Test and Merv took on the task with typical courage, taking 31 wickets for the series whilst carrying a serious knee injury . Would you believe Mark Waugh opened the bowling with him in the second Test ?

I remember Healy doing the big Merv in the Border's charity game. That was some scene. Not sure if you've watched that one Donny (going by your knowledge am sure you must have). Healy was top class in that game wasn't it? He got the big bird with a Marshall type ball.

Came to this topic to name Swervin' Mervyn. He remains one of my favourites, Ravi. Years after he'd retired, Dean Jones was interviewing him whilst walking around the hallowed turf of the MCG. They were reminiscing old times when they played together for Victoria and Australia in that great arena. Finally, Deano says, "Well mate, you certainly had a colourful career. What actually happened in South Africa when you had that 'disagreement' with a fan in the players' race?" Merv: "Ar, nothing much. Just a bloke mouthing off at me. I waved my bat at him." "Fairly costly though mate. That was your last Test wasn't it?" Merv: "Yeah. I shouldda hit the prick!" Deano could be heard cracking up. :hysterical: Merv was playing in a testimonial match. I think it was for Boony. Although he always had a bit of a beer belly, it had grown to rather large proportions. He was miked up when he was batting and a commentator asked him about his preparations for a big match like this. Merv: "Aww, nothing special mate ... hang on ... (blasts the next ball through the mid wicket fieldsman to the boundary to go to 46*) .. a couple of large Hawaiian pizzas and a 2 litre bottle of coke." He creams the next two balls to the fence and headed off on 54*. The comms ask where he's going. Merv: "That'll do me. Besides I have a pizza and a 6 pack (of beer) waiting for me in the shed." Not just a character either. In the 1993 Ashes series, the Aussie spearhead, Craig McDermott broke down after the first Test and Merv took on the task with typical courage, taking 31 wickets for the series whilst carrying a serious knee injury . Would you believe Mark Waugh opened the bowling with him in the second Test ?
Hahaha. Greatly enjoyed those Donny. Didnt Merv once had a go with Miandad as well. If I am not mistaken Miandad had sledged Merv with a "You look like a bus driver". A little later Merv dismissed Miandad and then ran past him with a "Ticket Please". :hysterical::hysterical: Great character.

By the way here are list of some of the characters in my book, actually let me do a characters XI: Geoff Boycott Brian Close Viv Richards Dean Jones Javed Miandad Keith Miller Rod Marsh(wk) Shane Warne Dennis Lillee Mcgrath Ambrose. Ambrose was the most deadpan player I ever saw. He rarely gave interviews and hence was always a prized catch. Once a British Journos got hold of Viv Richards and asked him to put a good word for him to Amby. Minutes later Amby comes out to meet this chap. This is how the convo goes: "Are you the person who asked Vivvy to meet me?" "Ah yes I am" "Okay I dont appreciate that, next time you want to meet me you tell me directly". "Sorry about that. I will surely do that next time. Can we talk now please?" "No Amby talks to noone". :hysterical:

Guest dada_rocks
By the way here are list of some of the characters in my book, actually let me do a characters XI: Geoff Boycott Brian Close Viv Richards Dean Jones Javed Miandad Keith Miller Rod Marsh(wk) Shane Warne Dennis Lillee Mcgrath Ambrose. Ambrose was the most deadpan player I ever saw. He rarely gave interviews and hence was always a prized catch. Once a British Journos got hold of Viv Richards and asked him to put a good word for him to Amby. Minutes later Amby comes out to meet this chap. This is how the convo goes: "Are you the person who asked Vivvy to meet me?" "Ah yes I am" "Okay I dont appreciate that, next time you want to meet me you tell me directly". "Sorry about that. I will surely do that next time. Can we talk now please?" "No Amby talks to noone". :hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical: