Most underrated players of all time

Who do you think are the most underrated players of all time? I will list only bowlers, as I don't really like watching batsmen, so I don't much care about batting feats. My most under-rated bowlers of all time (in order of appearance :P): Fred 'The Demon' Spofforth Bart King Harold Larwood Allan Donald Who are the players that you think don't get enough credit?

This is such a subjective thread! I hate subjectiveness. Donald was ranked number one in the world officially at one point in his career. How is he underrated? To prove your point, post the best ever ranking of each of the above players, and then post some statistic to show why you feel they were underrated. Here's a hint: look up Graham Thorpe.

Allan Donald will figure in atleast 75% cricket fan's list of top 10 great bowlers... i dont think, he was under-rated one bit... he got his due respect.... I like THX1138's list... since you asked for bowlers, Srinath, Aaqib javed, Morrison, Reiffel, Merv, Bishop, Gough are some of the names tht come to mind...

Donald, Kirsten, Gough, etc. were all highly rated. Another vote for Fleming. I loved watching him bowl. He had a brilliant action and could swing the ball superbly; some of his best spells are still etched in my mind. That opening burst of his in the '96 WC match vs India in particular. It was a flat deck, but Fleming bowled brilliantly to take a 5 wicket haul - wrecking the top order, and then returning towards the end to finish it off. Chanderpaul is one who i've always considered to be the most underrated cricketer in the world. His best efforts tend to go un-noticed (possibly because of his dour style of play) and he has always had to live in the shade of Brian Lara. Under pressure, he was arguably a better batsman than Lara and i've seen him pull WI out of a crisis on many-an-occasion. I still remember how he singlehandedly dragged WI to a total of 200 vs India in the decisive Kingston Test back in '02. India had reduced WI to 7/120 or thereabouts and Chanderpaul defied to odds to add another 80 runs or so with the tail. That one innings turned the match on it's head, snatching victory from the Indians by enabling WI to set a 400+ target for India. From that point on - it was obvious that India wouldn't make it. Amongst Indians, Robin Singh. He wasn't the most talented of players, but he more than made up for it with his work-ethic and passion for the game. Top class fielder, a very useful bowler you could count on more often than not, and a very underrated batsman. He hardly ever batted in the top order, but as a #3, he averaged over 40 - most people will never remember how good a batsman he was.

Knight was a very underrated ODI batsman. Averaged over 40, but no-one ever spoke of him as one of the best in the business. He scored plenty against some pretty good bowling attacks...see his stats from the '03 VB Series. Several good innings vs Australia. However, like Chanderpaul - he was a dull batsman.

Robin Singh did come to mind but he only played ODIs usually so didn't bother mentioning him. I think Sidhu was pretty under rated and he was one of the best batters against the spinners I've ever seen. Chanderpaul has always been under rated too simply because there has been one named "Lara" that stole all the lime light while he was around. Now Chanders is getting fair bit of attention and rightly so.

IIRC Nick averaged in the mid 20s.
thats thanks to his fall from grace towards the end of his career and then the occassional one match in twenty that he would be permitted a look in... hardly fair to judge him by his performances in matches which are half a season apart!
Donald, Kirsten, Gough, etc. were all highly rated. Another vote for Fleming. I loved watching him bowl. He had a brilliant action and could swing the ball superbly; some of his best spells are still etched in my mind. That opening burst of his in the '96 WC match vs India in particular. It was a flat deck, but Fleming bowled brilliantly to take a 5 wicket haul - wrecking the top order, and then returning towards the end to finish it off. Chanderpaul is one who i've always considered to be the most underrated cricketer in the world. His best efforts tend to go un-noticed (possibly because of his dour style of play) and he has always had to live in the shade of Brian Lara. Under pressure, he was arguably a better batsman than Lara and i've seen him pull WI out of a crisis on many-an-occasion. I still remember how he singlehandedly dragged WI to a total of 200 vs India in the decisive Kingston Test back in '02. India had reduced WI to 7/120 or thereabouts and Chanderpaul defied to odds to add another 80 runs or so with the tail. That one innings turned the match on it's head, snatching victory from the Indians by enabling WI to set a 400+ target for India. From that point on - it was obvious that India wouldn't make it. Amongst Indians, Robin Singh. He wasn't the most talented of players, but he more than made up for it with his work-ethic and passion for the game. Top class fielder, a very useful bowler you could count on more often than not, and a very underrated batsman. He hardly ever batted in the top order, but as a #3, he averaged over 40 - most people will never remember how good a batsman he was.
true... i would have included him as well if he had succeeded in tests which he hardly played. he was instrumental in our victory in 1997 independence cup when we became the first team to ever chase a 300 plus target successfully and held the record for the highest successful run chase for a substantial period.
This is such a subjective thread! I hate subjectiveness. Donald was ranked number one in the world officially at one point in his career. How is he underrated? To prove your point, post the best ever ranking of each of the above players, and then post some statistic to show why you feel they were underrated. Here's a hint: look up Graham Thorpe.
yeah i was a bit surprised to see donald... he was certainly not underrated. he was always synonymous with south africa and after jonty rhodes, probably their most identifiable player. as for thorpe... i was absolutely heart broken to see him wither into oblivion as personal problems overpowered him. what is with these english cricketers? first thorpe, then trescothick, then harmisson... their constitutions are weaker than pillars of silly putty.
thats thanks to his fall from grace towards the end of his career and then the occassional one match in twenty that he would be permitted a look in... hardly fair to judge him by his performances in matches which are half a season apart!
what ever the reasons may be at the end of the day he didn't register any notable performances in test cricket.