Sign in to follow this  
Cricketics

Today - India At Olympics 2012

Updated 7/30/2012 Okay I found tomorrow's schedule for us which was nicely done by these people here you go guys. Credit to them. day-5-schedule.png Archery - Indian women Archery team play in 1/8 against Denmark @ 4 AM EST/ 1:30 PM IST..If they win, they play quaterfinal later in the day Badminton - Saina Nehwal group stage game against Sabrina Jaquet @ 8:42 am est/ 6:12 pm IST Mixed doubles group game of VD/GUTTA @ 8:05 am est/5:35 PM IST Boxing - Jai Bhagwan in Lightweight 60 kg Boxing in round of 32 at 9:30 @EST/7 PM IST Rowing - Swarang Singh in Repechages Single Skulls @4:50 am EST/ 2:20 PM IST Sandeep Kumar and Manjeet Singh in Lightweight Doubles Skulls @ 6:10 am EST/ 3:40 PM IST Shooting - Heena Sidhu and Anuraj Singh iN 10m Air Pistol qualification round @ 4 am EST/1:30 pm IST. If they qualify, medal round will be played 2 hours later. Table Tennis - Somyajit Ghosh plays his 2nd rouch match against Kim @ 6 am EST/ 3:30 PM IST Tennis - Mens Singles 1st Round Court 17- Somdev Devvarman vs Jarko Nieminen @ 6:30 am EST/ 4 PM IST Mens Doubles 1st round COURT 14 - Bhupathi/Bopanna vs Mirnyi/Bury @ 12:30 pm EST/ 10 PM IST Mens Doubles 1st round COURT 16 - Paes/Vardhan vs Rojer/Haase @ 2:30 pm EST/12:00 AM IST(OVERNIGHT) Credit to london2012.com where I am getting the schedule from I think it's about time we start discussing this. Year of olympics is here. We are not too far and hopefully we will have more medals this time around. So who are the medal prospects. I would support all of them, but then there are some players which will get special mention because of their recent performances. To start with Shooting - Gagan Narang. Guy who surpassed Abhinav Bindra during commonwealth games. I have high hopes from Abhinav Bindra too. Hope he wins one medal again. Tennis - Singles - Somdev will be perhaps the only single player participating. He will have hard time in this. Hopefully he does well. Doubles - Bhupathi/Bopanna seem to be playing together rite nwo and Leander is not with any partner. ITA have still not confirmed who will participate in olympics. Here's the deal. Both Paes and Bhupathi are in top 10 in mens double and if they play together, than Rohan Bopanna who's ranked 11 rite now, if he manages to bring his rank under 10. He can take another player with him. I,e Somdev Devarman. If bopanna/bhupathi play together in olympics, I hope Leander takes Somdev. We can field 2 teams. My first choice still would be Bopanna/Somdev and Leander/Bhupathi. Badminton Saina Nehwal has a tough competition. Getting pass to those 3 chinese players would be tough but she does have a decent record off late against them.

narang will win an olympic medal for sure, bindra wont, its same old tradition, i gold big hype, then rust,thats what will happen with bindra, hope not.... nehwal wont win ****,those chineese shutlers will gallop her only hope is boxing and ronjan sodhi in shooting

We are yet to qualify in Hockey .Though we have no hope for a medal in hockey even if we qualifies . "Hero FIH Road to London” to be held at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi from February 18 to 26" http://thefansofhockey.com/2012/01/30/chetri-to-lead-india-in-olympic-qualifiers-hero-fih-road-to-london/id-3582.html#.Ty5rslwjG-U Its a must win tournament to qualify for olympics

Some more good news 7 indian boxers qualifies for Qlympics :A record for us :yay:

Seven Samurais 1. L Devendro Singh (49kg), 19 years old 2. Shiva Thapa (56kg) 18 years old 3. Jai Bhagwan (60kg) 26 years old 4. Manoj Kumar (64kg) 25 years old 5. Vikas Krishan (69kg) 20 years old 6. Vijender Singh (75kg) 26 years old 7. Sumit Sangwan (81kg) 19 years old
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tournaments/london-olympics/Teenagers-Shiva-Thapa-and-Sumit-Sangwan-qualify-for-London-Games/articleshow/12630042.cms/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=toionFB

am confident we will win 5-8 medals this time . Vikas Krishnan is my fav boxer of the lot . a medal prospect for sure . Thapa kid sounds exciting too . Indian boxing looks in reallly good shape . with a bit of luck we could win 2-3 medal just from one sport .

Expecting 2 medals from boxing, 2 from shooting, 1 from archery, 1 from wrestling and 1 from tennis. [The first 5 are almost certain. The last 2 are doubtful.]

I think our boxers will be doing well this time:two_thumbs_up::pray:

News reports say that the Indian Tennis Federation will send only 1 team (i.e. Paes/Bhupati) for Olympics. I don't think it would be a very wise move because obviously these 2 do not want to play together.
This Leander/Mahesh spat is getting ugly isn't it. However its a good move, and not surprisingly its from the AITA, one of the more competent sport governing bodies in the country. Paes is our best doubles player and needed to pair up with another decent player for us to have a decent chance in London. So it had to be from either Bhupati or Bopanna. I don't think much of Bopanna, and anyway Bhupati needs to pair up with Sania in the mixed so he needed to be chosen. Now we are medal contenders in both the men's doubles as well as the mixed doubles.

Lot of ugly fights going on. Everyone mentioning Bopanna. Yes, he is one of our best on Grass court, but Bopanna hasn't done anything in majors to prove. that he is going to bring Medal for us. He has been paired in mixed doubles with world no.1 Lisa Raymond too and hasn't really done anything great with her in majors. Leander-Bhupathi, with all the differences still remain our best pair.

But Bhupathi dared the AITA to ban him, calling Paes a 'back-stabber' - a reference to the latter's decision to split at the end of last season. It's clear that personal egos and group loyalties may already have compromised India's chances of winning a coveted Olympic medal.
http://www.indiatimes.com/tennis/paes-is-a-backstabber-27999.html

This Leander/Mahesh spat is getting ugly isn't it. However its a good move, and not surprisingly its from the AITA, one of the more competent sport governing bodies in the country. Paes is our best doubles player and needed to pair up with another decent player for us to have a decent chance in London. So it had to be from either Bhupati or Bopanna. I don't think much of Bopanna, and anyway Bhupati needs to pair up with Sania in the mixed so he needed to be chosen. Now we are medal contenders in both the men's doubles as well as the mixed doubles.
Its not a good move , when both of them can't get along well with eachothher .How do you expect them to play together .AITA knew about it still they choose them :facepalm:

Its not a good move ' date=' when both of them can't get along well with eachothher .How do you expect them to play together .AITA knew about it still they choose them :facepalm:[/quote'] Its a good move because they are the two best players in India. Bhupathi may want to play alongside his mother, doesn't necessarily mean AITA will concede. I doubt India will win any medals in tennis, no point letting these guys getting too big for their own shoes while representing India. Any anyway, this is the best combination possible. It allows Bhupathi to play in the Olympics thus letting him pair with Sania for the mixed, if of course Sania gets a wild card.

Thing is both haven't played together for a while now..doesn't make sense for them to play together..let Bhupathi and Rohan play...as they have been playing together... thats our best bet.